Anyone know about this cartridge???

Originally Posted By: TCSOriginally Posted By: Smokin250cartrige is used in FN handguns if i am correct. Known as a cop killer because it goes threw a vest i believe

C'mon now folks...we shouldn't play into the same misinformation that the anti gun people use. The 5.7 CAN punch through armor if a special armor piercing round is used. But this ammo is restricted to LEOs and military use only. Joe regular can't buy it so this whole "cop killer" idea is just more negative spin.

ok...well this is how it is known to stupid people...that better? I work at a gun shop and people come in all the time and ask about the "cop killer" i guess i have heard it so many times that i just repeated the filth. Anywho...i just sold the rest of the ammo we had at shop last week. Couldn't sell any of it. I guess it lost its popularity rather quick. I think it would be sweet in a rifle

Sorry if I sounded harsh. I didn't mean it to be a direct attack on any one person, just more of a "hey wait a minute" type statement. I think we should all try to have some accountability for the information we pass along. Too often we get statements like "hey this guy who my cousin knows told him once that he heard...." and so misinformation gets passed on. Especially when that information sounds so anti gun we should take a minute and maybe put forth the effort to make sure what we understand is correct. In this day and age, it takes very little time to disprove an incorrect assumption. Unfortunately, it seems to take even less to simply pass it on.

/soapbox

Edit: And I agree...if we could get reloading equipment for it, I think it would be a pretty neat round for our needs.
Originally Posted By: Smokin250Originally Posted By: TCSOriginally Posted By: Smokin250cartrige is used in FN handguns if i am correct. Known as a cop killer because it goes threw a vest i believe

C'mon now folks...we shouldn't play into the same misinformation that the anti gun people use. The 5.7 CAN punch through armor if a special armor piercing round is used. But this ammo is restricted to LEOs and military use only. Joe regular can't buy it so this whole "cop killer" idea is just more negative spin.

ok...well this is how it is known to stupid people...that better? I work at a gun shop and people come in all the time and ask about the "cop killer" i guess i have heard it so many times that i just repeated the filth. Anywho...i just sold the rest of the ammo we had at shop last week. Couldn't sell any of it. I guess it lost its popularity rather quick. I think it would be sweet in a rifle

Last edited:
The AR57 has been on my short list for about 6 months now, but I am in the middle of a 6.8 build so it will have to wait till after it is done.

I agree it is kinda "cute"
grin.gif

The round was designed for a SMG for discrete carry for use by Embassy Guards and the like. The ability to penetrate body armor was its primary design goal. No reason not to say it out loud.

Bullet Resistant vest as worn by Police are easily defeated by a high velocity round (IE .223), they stop pistol cartridges better. They don't stop knives very well either.

Sure...but it is no more a "cop killer" or "assassin's gun" (yes I've heard that one too) than any small caliber high velocity rifle.

Originally Posted By: dogtiredThe round was designed for a SMG for discrete carry for use by Embassy Guards and the like. The ability to penetrate body armor was its primary design goal. No reason not to say it out loud.

Back