Anyone in colorado

MMMMM snowmachines............. those are fun............. especially if you can catch the coyotes in a big open field......

Didn't try this morning. Winds at 12-15mph. Talked to my partner (Chuck) and agreed to go on Friday morning. The winds should have calmed considerably by then, according to the weather man...

Them lil' rascals oughta be plenty hungry by then... (snicker)

Merry Christmas to all, and to all... SAFE Hunting!

70Tactical

Well Thursday was a no-go. Winds 12-15 mph, blowing snow all over the place. NOT the kind of visibility for lettin' a .308 loose...

Went this morning with Chuck. Wind at 2-3mph, PERFECT! Everything was coated in white, and LOTS of fresh Coyote tracks in the snow... I took rifle AND shotgun. Sometimes my glasses get fogged and I have missed Coyotes this way. I figure, if that happens, I'll put my glasses in my pocket and use the shotgun (870 with 00 Buck).

Two stands (Chuck works this afternoon), called three Coyotes, killed two. Third one was (apparently) at about 375 yards (when I THOUGHT he was at 300). Bullet went right under him (should've seen him haul #$&!).

Here's the story (pic at the bottom, I HOPE)...

We were running a little late (slept in) and reached our first stand at 7:30. A cattle pasture (with about 45 head) 500 yards across and about a mile long. A fence row and several mature trees run East/West, dividing the pasture in half.

We start walking in along the trees/fence, and this lady pulls up on the road, probably the wife of the guy who owns the cattle (leasing the land for grazing). From 150 yards away she hollers, "Hey! Do you have PERMISSION!?" I answer back, "YES!" Then she wants to know, "From WHO?" So I tell her, and she says, "COOL! THANKS!" and drives off.

Now, I figure every Coyote in two Counties knows we're here... But, we're knee deep in snow, and half way to our stand... We figure, "We already here. Let's TRY."

I'm between two large trees, in the shade (fat guys don't like sittin' on the ground...) I'll watch the South, while Chuck takes the North. I'm on a slight slope, so nuthin' from the South can see me, but EVERYTHING from the North can see me. I'm using a Johnny Stewart Cottontail cassette, and call in a Coyote (at about 14 minutes) from the North (Chuck's side). He MISSED the standing shot (STILL can't figure that one out). I turn around and see this Coyote running across the pasture... I'm thinkin' "Shotgun or Rifle" (he's at about 40 yards... I reach for the rifle (too LATE for the shotgun), as Chuck DROPS this Coyote (D.R.T.) with a running shot!

At our second stand (where I got a DOUBLE the day after Thanksgiving) we spot two sets of fresh tracks as we walk in. They're heading right to where we plan to set up... Chuck sets up along the fence, and I get between two large trees (standing in the shadows). I had placed the remote speaker on my Johnny Stewart Attractor on the barbed wire about 100 feet away...

Chuck and I are about 100 yards apart, and can't see each other. After Chuck calls for about 12 minutes, I see a Coyote to the North, at nearly 400 yards, but he's coming my direction... I hit the Cottontail sound on my Johnny Stewart Attractor, and he begins closin' in on the noise... He's on the other side of a large ditch (40' across and 20' deep), but there's no water running in it. My .308 is zeroed at 200 yards, which is just about the distance to where I expect him to cross. At just about the perfect distance for my zero, the Coyote takes a pause... I'm rested on a shooting stick, supported against a tree, nice and solid... This is a pretty long shot, but I don't want him to get my scent. I start to squeeze, slowly...

Just as I'm expecting to hear my rifle to fire, I hear CHUCK's rifle fire! Behind me, to the SouthWest he's just dropped ANOTHER Coyote!

My dog takes off, but takes that last "look back" at about 300 yards. Or, at least I THOUGHT it was 300... I rested the crosshairs barely above his back and fired... The bullet went under him (between front/back feet) and threw snow everywhere on the other side.

Wiley Coyote says, "Exit! Stage North! Even!" and is GONE!

What a GREAT morning. Chuck's at his place skinnin' 'em right now. I'm sitting down to breakfast...

Here's the Pic. He's holding MY rifle, his was already cased up when I dug out the camera...

ChucksTwo12-22-06.jpg

HUNT SAFE!

70Tactical

I've called a couple of my rancher contacts out east of here, and it doesn't sound good. Sounds like too much snow to even get around, yet! They are getting stuck with tractors, and have yet to even get to all of thier cattle to feed.

70Tac., where are you guys that you're even able to get out and about?

I'm in the vicinity of La Junta.

Don't want to go on any back roads any further than a mile or two, for the next couple of days...

70Tactical

Well, a buddy called me last night and we ventured out a couple miles from the house. The roads are single lane in many places, and we wore our snowshoes. We did three sets, before he had to head to work, and called in a triple, and he managed to dump two of them. We were sitting just a couple hundred yards behind the farm house where we parked and the first thing to come in was one of the farm dogs, at about the 10 minute mark. After the dog left, we figured nothing was coming, but my buddy took one last look through his bino's and spotted two coyotes coming over the far hill 1/2 mile away. I never could see them until they crested the hill 1/4 mile infront of us. Took them a good 20 minutes to get to us.
You guys must not have gotten quite as much snow down that way?

Last edited:
Looks like the hardest hit with the snow (from what I've heard) is Denver, Colorado Springs and points East of there. My Son In Law says they had drifts at six feet in their driveway...

Here, in the South/SouthEast it's bad, but not AS bad... I've only encountered drifts up around two to three feet...

The primary roads have been cleared (for the most part). The secondary roads are full of packed snow, but are OK for a Four Wheel Drive (if the driver uses his/her BRAIN)...

I STILL wouldn't want to go further (on the back roads) than I am willing to walk...

A day or two after Christmas, and we'll be back in the thick of it!

Hunt Safe!

70Tactical

Made it out this AM around aspen, borrowed a frieds snowmobile for a while and went on some of his friends ranches.... All I CAN SAY IS NICE... The coyotes didn't seem to be too smart, and my friend said no one really hunts them... and when he told me what 40 acres go for my pants almost fell off.............

Called 4 in killed 1......
I think I missed one at about 450 yards across a canyon..... Bit of a hail mary shot but he wasn't coming any closer, he looked hit but ran off, so I'm not sure if I hit him or not... no blood or anything, but thats to be expected with my bullets, I never have pass throughs.

Called one right in and killed him at about 45 yards, had to shoot because i was scared he was going to run off with my foxpro hahaha...

Called another two in but I never saw them until I picked up to leave and they hauled [beeep], they were about 50 yards behind me on the other side of a little dip running towards me, and when they saw me they did a 180 and were gone in the blink of an eye, I mean I didn't even have time to shoot AT them... as soon as they saw me get up they were out of there......... hate it when that happens

You guys better get on them while you can. Heard they are calling for another good storm to act the same as the last. I am in Missouri visitin the rents. Guess i will have to stay here and hunt.......darn /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Well, it's HERE (again...)!!! The highways in the area are closed (except for local traffic). I'm headed to work this afternoon with my neighbor across the street (he works where I do) in his 4WD (otherwise I'd NEVER make it).

I got stuck on the way home last night (in my car). Fortunately I was 200 yards from home, and my neighbor walked over with a snow shovel. Now my car is stranded at the curb. NO WAY to get it back on the road until they get it plowed. Too bad, because MUCH of the highway is actually pretty good. IT'S ONLY BAD IN THE TOWNS, at least that's how it is HERE...

I am hoping to go out on Monday (day off) and try some post-storm Coyotes (IF we can get out at all). That is looking pretty tentative at the moment. We'll just have to see what the next 48 hours brings (or DOESN'T bring...)

Chuck and I went on Wednesday morning (my last day of vacation). We saw EIGHT! Two reasonable shots MISSED (what's wrong with this picture?), and the rest were on the run at significant distances. But, THEY WERE OUT IN FORCE!

I am REALLY hoping we'll be able to try Monday morning. I might even try to walk to one of my spots, it's about a half-mile away...

I'll post results when and IF...

Hunt Safe!

70Tactical

Yip, looks like you're getting your fair share of the white stuff this go around. Skys cleared this afternoon here and it would've been great callin', but by the time I got done shoveling and helping the neighbors, not a chance. Maybe Monday we'll also get a chance to get out a little! Got your snowshoes handy?

Back