Anyone ever done a DIY

Ward H.

A do it yourself trip to wyoming? SD? kansas? montana? some sort of predator purgatory? just pack your bags and go?

really itching to

I did it all the time. I've been to 17 different states, calling coyotes. Just pack up the bags and guns, tent, and head somewhere. Spent many 5-10 trips out West, living out of a tent and stacking up coyotes. Those are some of my most favorite memories.

Here is a pic from one of our Idaho camping/calling trips from a few years ago.

shapeimage_3.png

Tony

Illinois
Iowa
Indiana
Oklahoma
Missouri
Kansas
Nebraska
S Dakota
Colorado
Wyoming
Idaho
New Mexico
Arizona
Utah
Washington
Nevada
Texas

Id totally be up for it if I lived in more of a predator rich environment. I think here in the east it would be sort of a waste.

That's the whole reason I traveled to more predator rich environments, when I lived in the Midwest. There just wasn't enough local coyotes to satisfy the addiction. I'd take 2 - 5 DIY trips per season.

Tony

I think that's why a DIY western trip sounds ideal for this eastern guy. I had never thought about a DIY before this post. One could really make a driving DIY western a true budget trip even from the east coast.

Fuel and non-resident permits would be the biggest cost, but bring your own camping gear and equipment and you could spend a couple of weeks out west on the cheap for a lot less than a trip to Jamaica or the Virgin Islands with a much higher fun factor.

Thanks, Ward for the post and Tony for the inspiration.

My little mental gears are already spinning. Did I mention that I really like this site?
thumbup1.gif

Raptor

Every time I step out to coyote hunt it's a do it yourself trip. Never have paid a guide to hunt coyotes. Not that I wouldn't, just never needed to. Only predator I've ever paid to hunt is bear and that is only because the laws of the land demanded it. On a good note for the coyote hunter many western states require no license or fees for coyotes. Most don't have any closed season or limit on them either. So basically food and gas are your biggest expenses if you have your own tent. Coyote hunting is about as easy and user friendly as a non resident hunt can get.

Yah, Ive never had a "guide" either, Its all DIY. I meant just doing a little homework and hitting the highway. Seeing if anyone had any suggestions of national forrests/parks and what not in other states.

thanks

Hint, most of Nevada and Utah are public land. Arizona and Idaho has quite a bit as well. Montana is more private than public, so it's not quite as free to roam.

McGee creek state park in Atoka Oklahoma is going to be my first predator road trip out of state. It is two hours from dallas. 10,000 acres. Going to carefully go over Okla. regs with a fine tooth comb. Its going to be a couple weeks though because I gotta ship back out offshore. Anyways, anyone know of it, anyone wanna join??

Originally Posted By: Ward H.McGee creek state park in Atoka Oklahoma is going to be my first predator road trip out of state. It is two hours from dallas. 10,000 acres. Going to carefully go over Okla. regs with a fine tooth comb. Its going to be a couple weeks though because I gotta ship back out offshore. Anyways, anyone know of it, anyone wanna join??

mcgee creek is a cool place, but if you are going there you mite as well go to james collins wildlife area. i think it is like 26,000 acres and prime coyote country. i live 10 miles from there and have hunted it in the past. you could just make a trip of it. i could help you out if you went to james collins. mcgee creek too far for me to drive when my ranch is 10,000 acres.lol

We need to do a good DIY forum thread,

Include things like where to go, what state, what you will need, how much licensee cost, important regs (use of electronic callers, hunt at night) Driving directions, flying directions, good hotels, good restaurants etc etc etc

Back