ANYONE Boise Idaho

HunterHeinz

Does any one know where to go hunt some coyotes around boise idaho maybe some farmers somethen??
confused.gif

If you go north of Mountain Home, you WILL find coyotes. The first time that I went out in that area (sorry- dont remember the exact spot) we pulled over to what looked like a good spot and after scrunching down behind some brush started the call. Now get this: 30 SECONDS later we had a dead coyote. To say that we were amazed is quite the understatement. Young dumb coyote had lot to do with it for sure, but they are out there. Good time of year to be trying to call them up as it has been rather cold and they have not had as much to eat lately.

Get out there and get you some. They're waiting for you.

Thank you for the info i will give it a try, should i start off with some howling or is it to early in the year? should i just do some distress calls?

I am no expert, but I always use the distress call first. Dying jackrabbit is on my Foxpro and seems to be the best attention getter for hungry yotes. It seems that your chances are much better if you can get to a place where not many people go to try and call them up. Those dogs get smart pretty quick, and getting one to come to a call that has been spooked before is a bit iffy in my opinion.

Rustydust,

Do you know how far north you guys went from Mt. Home? I live in mt. Home and have noticed that a lot of them have been educated from all the dumb hunters.

Thanks!!

Rustydust i went out huntin today and heard lots ans lots of yotes and only saw one about 800 yards away tryed some distress calls but none would show up i think there pretty educated out there but im gonna keep tryint cause thats huntin.

Last edited:
No, I'm sorry that I cant remember where it was that I went. I did go with someone else and he had knowledge of the area that we were hunting. It seems that the number one trick is to go where other hunters do not. Coyotes get smart quick. Most dont get fooled more than once.

I am not a die hard coyote hunter as I prefer ground squirrels and a yearly hunt for prairie dogs. The whole thing of being quiet and stealthy is hard for me to do. I just like to get out and start blasting!

HunterHeinz,

I live in Emmett, and have been calling coyote is SW Idaho for 35 years.

You are right about the coyote being hard to call close to any town, BUT! it can be and is done. My partner and I call dogs all around the Emmett, Horseshoe Bend, Sweet, Ola, Boise, Mt, Home, Bruneau, Payette, Weiser, Councel, all the way to the Nevada border areas.

But as far as calling dogs in the Valley, you just have to make a bunch of stands, make sure you hide your vehicle well, and you sneak into your calling position without noise, and don't get skylined. When you are calling keep the sound low to moderate, don't be blowing at the top of your lungs, for sure don't turn the ecaller up to max. Keep it at a low level, no more than 20 on the meter. And make sure you leave an open space in your downwind position, because coyote out here want to circle downwind, most will come to 5-600 yards and sit down or hang up, they are looking for movement from other dogs or prey animals, if they don't see anything, they may come in for further investigation, but most of the time they will plain leave.

There are coyotes anywhere and everywhere you look. As you can see by the Idaho Statesmen, they are right in town. My partner saw one on the grass in front Micron.

If you are interested, I am one of the owners/officers of the Idaho Varmint Hunters Inc. We are a club, we have a meeting every month on the second Tuesday of the month at 7pm at the JB's Restaurant in Meridian. If you want more info about Idaho Varmint Hunter, please let me know, I can help you out.

Good Hunting/Calling!
Gary
http://idahovarminthunters.proboards.com
http://ivh.devstu.com

That would be great where do i go to sign up? i would love to be in a club like that.. Is the idaho varmint hunter sponsoring that coyote contest i saw at cabelas in January?

HunterHeinz,

The Idaho Coyote Classic (ICC) is being sponsored and administored by Idaho Varmint Hunters.

The sign up for the ICC will be Friday Night January 28th during the SFW Idaho Banquet & Calling Competition, beginning at 7PM.

To get your tickets to attend the SFW Idaho Banquet or to sign up for the Competition, or to read the rules of the Calling Competition, go to http://sfwidaho.org.

The ICC will be held one day, Saturday January 29, 2011.
You can get all the info, rules, and early registration, on our forums at:
http://idahovarminthunters.proboards.com
go to the Future and Current Events Forum for the info.
or go to our website at: http://ivh.devstu.com - Events

To join the club, you can do one or both of these things, come to the meeting on January 11th at 7PM at the JB's Restaurant in Meridian, corner of Meridian Rd, and Overland Rd.

And/or you can send a check or money order to IVH.
Memberships are 1 year from the date you sign up.
$20.00 for individual memberships
$35.00 for Family memberships, includes your spouse, and all children under 18 yrs.

Our mailing address is:
IVH Memberships
P.O. Box 1087
Emmett, ID. 83617

Makes checks payable to: Idaho Varmint Hunters.

Thanks for the reply, I hope to meet you soon.
Gary

Last edited:
Alright sounds good i'll be there i live about 2 minutes away from there, it will be just me, my dad will be workin at that time he works at cabelas. Is there alot of kids in this club? Im 16. I hope i will be makin some huntin friends.

HH,
Trust me when I say you couldn't ask for a better group of guys to associate with then those of the Idaho Varmint Hunters Association. I had the chance to meet and hunt with them last spring and would love the opportunity to have the chance you have in being a part of a group such as this.
I can't wait till the chance to get back out there comes up again.
Rick

Hello Rick, Happy New Year!

Thank You for the compliment. We look forward to you coming to Idaho again, you know you are always welcome!

HunterHeinz,
You will be our first Youth hunter.

We welcome you to help us get the youth hunter group started. We have only been up and running for about 10 months, and haven't yet gotten any youth, or families with youth sign up.

IVH would like to have a bunch of kids involved with our club, to know that we are insuring the future of varmint hunting, and to know that will have young folk to groom to continue to run IVH in the future.

IVH would like to start youth hunter coyote calling contests, or divisions! and other events.

IVH will be at the Boise Sportsmen's Expo on March 3-4-5-6 2011, Please consider helping us out in the booth, you can talk to the young people, and try to get them interested!

Thanks,
Gary

I've only lived in the Boise area for a couple of years so I wouldn't be much good for figuring out where to go, but if you'd like a hunting partner COUNT ME IN! I'm finally geared up to handle the cold and may try a solo hunt tomorrow. Unfortunately, I don't have any calls beyond MP3 versions and need to hunt down a good field speaker. May make a morning run to Radio Shack.
smile.gif

Anyone interested in a partner for a local hunt PLEASE feel free to contact me through the forum!

I would love to help you guys out, my dad will be coming with me on the 11th to sign up at jbs, thanks again i'll be looking forward to meeting you.

Back