Anybody shooting the new 60 gr. Sierra TMK yet?

Originally Posted By: LittleAndyany chance that one of you guys who has some of these laying around could take a couple measurements for me? I'd like to know the Overall length of the bullet and length of just the tip. I am guessing the tip will be .147 as it is on the other .224 TMK bullets, but I'd like to be sure. Need to figure out if these will stabilize in my 14 twist 20" savage 22-250 barrel.

Tip .147
OAL .897
Ogive .467

I measured 5 bullets and they are within .001 of each other. Most are the same.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: reb8600Originally Posted By: LittleAndyany chance that one of you guys who has some of these laying around could take a couple measurements for me? I'd like to know the Overall length of the bullet and length of just the tip. I am guessing the tip will be .147 as it is on the other .224 TMK bullets, but I'd like to be sure. Need to figure out if these will stabilize in my 14 twist 20" savage 22-250 barrel.

Tip .147
OAL .897
Ogive .467

I measure 5 bullets and they are within .001 of each other. Most are the same.

Thanks!

Any results with them yet or did you just get them?

Originally Posted By: reb8600

Tip .147
OAL .897
Ogive .467

I measure 5 bullets and they are within .001 of each other. Most are the same.

Wow, that's as long as the none tipped 69gr SMK and has to be one of the longest 60gr bullets on the market.

Does anyone know if these will stabilize from a 12tw barrel?

Last edited:
Let me double check that length when I get home. Maybe I wrote that down wrong.

I have not shot any yet. I got them a couple months ago and have been playing with some other calibers and bullets.

Originally Posted By: reb8600Confirmed my measurements. They are correct.

Great, thank you.

Now the million dollar question, will they shoot from a 12tw 18in. 22-250

Originally Posted By: B23Originally Posted By: reb8600Confirmed my measurements. They are correct.

Great, thank you.

Now the million dollar question, will they shoot from a 12tw 18in. 22-250

It's already been posted on this thread that sierra says 10 twist. So maybe but probably not.

Just ran those measurements through the JBM Stability calculator with a 12 twist barrel pushing them at 3600 and they are marginal at a 1.2... looks like 10 twist it is...

Sierra developed those for a potential military load development to improve lethality while still maintaining the "match bullet" designation. That came straight from one of the ballisticians on Sierra's tech service line. Spin them in a 9tw or faster and I bet they shoot quite well and do nasty things to critters, as compared to the more typical 62gn FMJ loads.

Any new info on this Bullet?
I picked up a new bergara b14 ridge in 22-250 with a 1-9 twist, thought it might work good in it.

I have a 22/250 with 12" twist. I shot those bullets in front of 35grs of Varget ,I got 1/4 MOA at 100 yards. But I'm wondering how they'll do at 250yds+ . I'll be shooting PD's in MT at end of month ?

Compared to a 52 gr match @3750 -.5" full value drift at 200 yards and about -3.0" @ 400 yards. I guess it comes down to "my rifle likes this bullet better than all others" or they are a great fur bullet.

They have shot pretty decent from my 1/10 twist .223 Tikka T3. Ran them at 3180fps groups under 1 MOA consistently.
Haven't shot any critters yet.

If you had a 22-243 AI with a 12T with .035 freebore, then the 60g Sierra tipped would be perfectly stabilized around 4000 which is what I am getting out of a 23", 14T with 60g Sierra hp shooting bug holes....was a used 22 PPC benchrest barrel.

Originally Posted By: liliysdadOriginally Posted By: arlaunchI always thought Sierra had the best bullet viewing website ever. They just changed it.... Its terrible.

I am not sure what the point of a 60gr TMK is? Why would somebody buy those over the 69gr version? Especially for shooting at distance and/or in the wind.

I have a 12 twist CZ527 223AI that will not shoot the 69s...bit I have a sneaking suspicion it will shoot the 60s.

I have also been toying with the idea of another 22 Creedmoor, this time with a 16" barrel....the 60s might be funn in something like that for a 500yd gun.

Do it, ya ninny!! The 60tmk does quite well out of my 16"ar, I bet they scream from a shorty 22cm.

Back