anybody loading the SST bullets for deer

varmit_master

I have went from nosler BT bullets to hornady SST bullets in my rifles. My 25/06 using 117 gr sst and 280 rem 139 gr SST and 300 wby 165 gr SST and going to load the 130 gr in my dad's 270. My friends shoot them and have great luck all the reviews I was reading everyone give them 6 out of 6 stars. If anyone is shooting them an you tell me how u like them Ty.. Richard

I have a buddy that shoots Hornady SST in his 243 they work fine. I shoot Nosler BT out of mine, they work fine. I shot deer this year from 100 yards all the way out to 467 yards with no problems.
Why the change?
If you want a stronger bullet with more weight retention you should shoot partitions.

I shoot 154g SST and 162g SST out of 7 Mags, very accurate bullets, but these bullets will demand to touch the lands or jam .003 to shoot with extreme accuracy.

Pard in New Zealand shoot a 243 with the 95g SST on all those large deer down there at long range, he says that there is no other bullet on the planet.

I have a pard that shoot a 270 with the 130g SST and this load drops a deer in it's tracks way out there, and also looks like it has been shot with a 150g Hornady sp at 3300 out of a 300 WM.

I would shoot heavy for caliber if tracking an animal in really thick areas is an issue.

I tried the 139gr SST from my 280AI. To explosive and not enough penetration for my liking. Maybe if I tried the heavier 162gr I would have been happier with the results.

When pushed fast, I've seen them act like big Vmaxes; it ain't pretty. In modest cartridges, like my 6.5x55, the perform really well. I've shot numerous deer, pronghorn, and hogs with 129 grain SSTs out of my Swede and have yet to recover one. They're very accurate and perform well on game at the moderate velocity generated by this old cartridge. I was not impressed with the 87 grain .243 SSTs that my kids used to shoot their whitetail does with last year. I really like exit wounds, and both failed to exit, even on those small south TX whitetails.

Tried them in my .308 for one deer season. Didn't like them. Very accurate, but I had a splash wound on a doe at 100yards that I never recovered. If kept within sensible velocities I think they would be fine. I was pushing them just over 3000fps in my rifle.

I have been shooting the 154sst with my 7mm with great accuracy and killing results. I shot this whitetail at a shade over 300 yards. The deer dropped like a ton of bricks.

The entrance wound just behind the shoulder shows massive trauma.

The exit hole is shown below..

Last edited:
The big SST with IB is a better bullet than the first SST. Goto www.ballistic studies.com then click on cartridge knowledge base. They test all factory them reload almost all bullets. And the new SST with IB is one they talk about a lot. I used to shoot nosler BT in all my rifles until I got some 139 gr SST for my 280 so I sold all my nosler BT but one box of 120 gr and replaced them with SST. I know the SST with IB holds together for me than a BT.

I like the 165's in my '06 and have taken muley with the 180's in my .300wm, both perform one shot good stops

I think that if you try the 95g SST you will see a world of diffence between the 87g V Max that you were shooting.

Also, the 95g Partition is as good as a 30/06 in my opinion, I shoot a load of 43.0g of IMR 4350 with the 95g partition and you will for sure get an exit wound from this bullet on every shot.

My friend in New Zealand swears by the 95g SST in his 243, they have a very large deer down there that are like a cow elk. His shots are long, also.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
We used the 154g Interbond on elk, along with the 154g Sp in the 7 Mag.

154g SST on deer is a whale of a great deer bullet, just touch the lands or be within 0.010 of the lands

I've had very good luck with SST's in both the 243 and 6.5 Creedmoor. The 243 shots with the 95 SST were close shots in the woods for deer. Farthest shot maybe 50 yards of the 3 deer shot with them this year. 3 blood trails combined were maybe 90 yards. Exit wounds on all 3 with heavy blood trails. The 6.5 I used the 140 SST for antelope. 3 shot from 150 to 250 2 dropped in the tracks the other went 30 yards.

My kid and I have been using 165gr. SST's in our 30-06 for around 10 years now and they have killed deer from 15-465 yards,(465 Lazered yards). They might be a little tough on the meat, but we have never not recovered and deer that was shot with this bullet. We will NEVER switch from this combo.

One thing for sure, if you like to open a can of whoop azzz on a deer, the sst is the way to go! I just like heavy for caliber in this bullet due to immediate bullet expansion. Back in the Deep South where hunting is comparable to a jungle, the SST puts deer on the ground fast.

Again, I will say that all the guns that I have worked up loads for loved the bullet touching the lands or a .003 jam.

Originally Posted By: RiflemannMy kid and I have been using 165gr. SST's in our 30-06 for around 10 years now and they have killed deer from 15-465 yards,(465 Lazered yards). They might be a little tough on the meat, but we have never not recovered and deer that was shot with this bullet. We will NEVER switch from this combo.

Same results....furthest kill 418 yards lazered. Can't think of when a follow up shot was needed. Bang....flop.

I used the 139 grain SST in a 7mm-08 one year, didn't see any advantage over the interlock of the same weight, the innerbond is a very good bullet although pretty expensive.

Back