Any one seen this? 700 yard coyote shot

He hit it, but didn't kill it. It was still floping around when the vid ended. The way it was floping I think he hit the spine. He should have finished. I'm not impressed with him as a hunter. Excuse me while I step in front of the camera and brag, while this animal suffers.

I thought he should have finished it off as well....and he may have after he shut the camera down...It seemed he was the camera operator and the shooter...and probably didn't want to leave the camera while walking down and climbing over the gate..(I know, I'm being charitable..
shocked.gif
)

If he is such a great shot he should have been able to do a quick "double tap" and be done. Then I MIGHT have been impressed. Instead he made an incredibly long shot that hit the animal in the rear end and anchored it, then while it crawled/flopped around in the middle of the road (for several minutes) he was out in front of the camera telling everyone what a great shot he is. Later in his post he said that he walked out there and finished it with his pistol. Wonder how long it took to walk out there?

If you don't have any respect for the animal then I have NO respect for you.

Morons posting crap like this on YOU TUBE aren't doing our sport any favors at all!

What an idiot!

I agree with that comment. He obviously has no respect for "stupid" coyotes. The sucker's suffering and he's continuing to film it.

Buddy of mine killed 1 several weeks ago at 785. He used an Armalite AR10 243 87 V-Max. This guy has an I-Pod Touch with a confirmed ballistics profile for his load, calls the weather station for the most current BP, and gets temp humidity and elevation off his Kestrel--all loaded into the program to calculate the new trajectory for the current air density relative to his std. trajectory. We were walking along a bluff and heard the dogs howling. He spotted them and i shortly afterwards, and he went prone ran the dope into his 6.5-20x Leup. VX-III turret from my Leica Geovid return, and i spotted his shot. Heard a very faint meat report couple seconds after the shot and the dog spun a couple times and fell over. Died a couple seconds later. Bullet hit right in his chest and exited size of a dime out his right side. Here's some more on it--
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1554597#Post1554597

The shot was admitted luck for windage though as there was maybe 1-2 mph at the shot from our position, so...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SparrowhawkI gathered he was shooting on a known distance range, but what are the details of the rifle, scope and load. [beeep] of a shot.

I would guess that it was a ranged shot but I noticed what look like metal garbage can lids or something simular that look to be in 100yrd incriments. Heck of a shot, but he should have finished what he started.

Originally Posted By: jcs271
If he is such a great shot he should have been able to do a quick "double tap" and be done. Then I MIGHT have been impressed. Instead he made an incredibly long shot that hit the animal in the rear end and anchored it, then while it crawled/flopped around in the middle of the road (for several minutes) he was out in front of the camera telling everyone what a great shot he is. Later in his post he said that he walked out there and finished it with his pistol. Wonder how long it took to walk out there?

Morons posting crap like this on YOU TUBE aren't doing our sport any favors at all!

What an idiot!

thank you! my thoughts exactly

Originally Posted By: jcs271

What an idiot!

Exactly! That guy is self impressed clown.

Originally Posted By: Reel LostPeta will love that video. Kill the [beeep] thing before your comments and then show it again. The fight will never end with things like that they can see

PETA is going to [beeep] no matter what.

If you want to take up the responsibility of making a quick kill that is fine but you need to realize not everyone is so touchy feely when it comes to killing pests.

What be the difference on that long range Coyote and say a Animal that was shot by a Bow and see it run off to slowly bleed to death while the shooter and the camera man do the high fives? What say you.

The "shooter" is an [beeep]. No respect for the animal. I call him a "shooter" because he is not a hunter. There is a difference.
I agree 100 percent with the previous negative comments about this "shooter">.

Lyle

Sounds like some of you would fit right in over at the coyotegods...

I agree he needed to finish it off (and he did), but when he zoomed out and got in front of the camera the coyote was flopping around...SO WHAT! I've seen LOTS of coyotes flop around before they die (even with a vital hit) and (are you ready for this?) I don't shoot them again because they are dead. The guy zoomed back in after his talk, shut the camera off, and then went out and shot it...end of story.

If I found this type of thing deplorable, I would be much more outraged at bowhunters who stick an animal and then let it slowly die over the next hour or two. But guess what, it's an animal. As long as you are not going out of your way to torture or be inhumane then go ahead and do what you want.

And as for the 700 yd shot...if you don't shoot that far because you know your limits, I applaud you. Otherwise there is a saying for this type of thing "those who can...do; those who can't...b*tch about those who can." Many of the people that complain about long range hunting have no problem taking running shots, which are a MUCH lower percentage shot.

If somebody doesn't conform to your OPINION of what a hunter should be, be glad that we can pursue what makes us each happy...don't poo-poo them, because guess what, as soon as you get those guys shut down and make them go away...your way of "hunting" is next.

OK, stepping off my soapbox.

Originally Posted By: Timberbeast7Sounds like some of you would fit right in over at the coyotegods...

I agree he needed to finish it off (and he did), but when he zoomed out and got in front of the camera the coyote was flopping around...SO WHAT! I've seen LOTS of coyotes flop around before they die (even with a vital hit) and (are you ready for this?) I don't shoot them again because they are dead. The guy zoomed back in after his talk, shut the camera off, and then went out and shot it...end of story.

If I found this type of thing deplorable, I would be much more outraged at bowhunters who stick an animal and then let it slowly die over the next hour or two. But guess what, it's an animal. As long as you are not going out of your way to torture or be inhumane then go ahead and do what you want.

And as for the 700 yd shot...if you don't shoot that far because you know your limits, I applaud you. Otherwise there is a saying for this type of thing "those who can...do; those who can't...b*tch about those who can." Many of the people that complain about long range hunting have no problem taking running shots, which are a MUCH lower percentage shot.

If somebody doesn't conform to you OPINION of what a hunter should be, be glad that we can pursue what makes us each happy...don't poo-poo them, because guess what, as soon as you get those guys shut down and make them go away...you're way of "hunting" next

I tend to agree with your views. Those who want to throw stones at people who shoot long range obviously haven't done it. My first time to shoot long range I thought there was no way I would hit the 6"x6" steel. I was wrong. Once you know your DOPE and have a steady rest, 700 yards aint hard.

As far as the coyote, at least he killed it. He was deer hunting and took the opportunity to take out a predator that damages his deer population. He didn't drive off and let it suffer, he shot it. Bow hunters sometimes wound game and it takes 6+ hrs for them to die.

Originally Posted By: Timberbeast7Sounds like some of you would fit right in over at the coyotegods...

If somebody doesn't conform to you OPINION of what a hunter should be, be glad that we can pursue what makes us each happy...don't poo-poo them, because guess what, as soon as you get those guys shut down and make them go away...your way of "hunting" is next.

Glad you said it. I agree with it too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skb2706Originally Posted By: Timberbeast7Sounds like some of you would fit right in over at the coyotegods...

If somebody doesn't conform to you OPINION of what a hunter should be, be glad that we can pursue what makes us each happy...don't poo-poo them, because guess what, as soon as you get those guys shut down and make them go away...your way of "hunting" is next.

Glad you said it. I agree with it too.

I agree with a lot of what you said. And yes, I too feel that we have an obligation to "finish off" any animal that we wound. I guess I just think that obligation is to do it as soon as possible as opposed to just letting the animal flop around and suffer needlesly because we "know" that it will die soon.
I also agree that we all need to know our effective range for humane kills, sadly this guy couldn't pull it off and now the world can see the results.
As far as this not conforming to my opinions, you are right. Thanks for making my point that STUNTS like this posted on the internet are EXACTLY the type of thing that will get our beloved sport of predator hunting banned.

Now getting off of my soapbox.

Quote:Thanks for making my point that STUNTS like this posted on the internet are EXACTLY the type of thing that will get our beloved sport of predator hunting banned.

Sorry, you must have misunderstood my post.

By aligning yourself with the anti's and beating up on fellow hunters (albeit they are different hunters) you expect to advance your own cause how? Making nicey with the anti's will accomplish nothing (divide and conquer...right?) except eroding the rights of other hunters...which in time will surely erode your own. So continue trying to spin what we all do as different than this video. To the anti's we are ALL KILLERS of innocent little puppy dog eyed, Disney personified, coyotes.

To each (hunter), his own. Tell the anti's to p*ss off and be proud that you are a coyote killer.

Originally Posted By: Timberbeast7Quote:Thanks for making my point that STUNTS like this posted on the internet are EXACTLY the type of thing that will get our beloved sport of predator hunting banned.

By aligning yourself with the anti's and beating up on fellow hunters (albeit they are different hunters) you expect to advance your own cause how? Making nicey with the anti's will accomplish nothing (divide and conquer...right?) except eroding the rights of other hunters...which in time will surely erode your own. So continue trying to spin what we all as different than this video. To the anti's we are ALL KILLERS of innocent little puppy dog eyed, Disney personified, coyotes.

To each (hunter), his own. Tell the anti's to p*ss off and be proud that you are a coyote killer.

I have to agree with Timberbeast. The anti's get just as much "fodder" out of a clean kill video as they do out of one displaying a less than clean kill. To them, this is all about harming a "poor defenseless animal".

If all of you are so worried about someone posting amateur hunting videos on YouTube, you should write the Outdoors Channel, Primos, etc. and tell them to quit producing TV shows and videos of hunting, which makes homemade videos pale in comparison when it comes to the number of viewers. How many arrowed deer have you watched on the Outdoors Channel run away to die off camera? Did you complain about that?

Somewhere, I feel certain that some anti is reading your posts and working on their next "issue". The first line of their press release will read something like this: "Predator hunters agree that long range hunting is inhumane, and legislation needs to be passed that outlaws long range rifles."

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Timberbeast7Quote:Thanks for making my point that STUNTS like this posted on the internet are EXACTLY the type of thing that will get our beloved sport of predator hunting banned.

By aligning yourself with the anti's and beating up on fellow hunters (albeit they are different hunters) you expect to advance your own cause how? Making nicey with the anti's will accomplish nothing (divide and conquer...right?) except eroding the rights of other hunters...which in time will surely erode your own. So continue trying to spin what we all as different than this video. To the anti's we are ALL KILLERS of innocent little puppy dog eyed, Disney personified, coyotes.

Well said. We have enough hoops to jump through and limitations placed upon us as gun owners and hunters that we don't need to make things worse by adding self imposed restrictions. If you want to take it upon yourself to keep shooting until the animal stops moving then by all means please do so. Likewise, you can label it with anything you want. Call it respect for the animal or humane or whatever you need to justify your actions in your minds eye. Just realize that in the end we are all doing the same thing and not everyone is going to hunt exactly as you do or share the same sentiment. We are killing an animal for our own enjoyment. That is all there is to it. Try to remember that. Tearing each other down doesn't help any of us and it hurts all of us. If you do not approve of the way someone else lawfully hunts then don't hunt with them. It is that simple. We are a diverse group that employ all different methods with all different goals and that is a good thing.

Let me try this one more time,

I am NOT railing on about other hunters and I am probably more hard core Pro gun, pro hunting, pro trapping than anybody you will ever meet.

MY POINT is that when some knucklehead makes a poor shot, then steps out in front of the camera to tell us what a hero he is for shooting a "stupid coyote" while it is clearly still alive and suffering in the background, and then he POSTS IT ON THE INTERNET for all to see. Those are the people who provide the ammo to the antis because he clearly was not at all concerned about the animal. My hope is that if others reading this decide not to post something that is clearly in bad taste because of the poor light that it casts on all of us, then this conversation was worthwhile.

My issues are not with long range shooting, shoot as far as you can and still guarantee a humane kill.
As far as being "touchy feely" about finishing off a wounded animal, well I don't apologize about that one. I guess I just grew up in a different time when we were taught to respect our quarry and that we had a DUTY to limit suffering of the animals we harvest. Maybe that is old school thinking but I figure if I start it , I better finish it.

I don't expect everyone to agree with me, but I am kind of surprised at the number of people on this post who would just let the animal lay there "because it it is going to die".

Last edited:
I don't know where you got the idea that I thought you should apologize for wanting to finish off a wounded animal. I plainly state you should do whatever makes you comfortable.

You say you don't expect everyone to agree with you but your statements here certainly imply otherwise.

Up until now I have tried to keep my personal opinion of the video to myself and just comment on the responses here but I see nothing wrong with what he did. Leaving a disabled animal be is fairly common practice. It allows the animal to expire in peace. Approaching it immediately can spook them enough to get up and run never to be found again. A second shot just damages more fur/meat if it is just going to die in a few seconds.

It was an excellent shot at that range but you have to remember that it was on a still target. Even if he wanted to put another round into him shooting at a flopping animal at that range would be futile. Flopping isn't a sign that the animal wasn't mortally wounded either. I have shot enough critters to come to realize that no matter how good of a shot you make the only way to constantly deliver a mortal wound that completely disables them immediately is a spine shot. Heart, lung, and liver shots just don't do it every time. Even head shots can give you the headless chicken effect. I have seen it multiple times now on rabbits that have had their head blown off.

You have to remember that coyotes are nothing but pests to a lot of people too. You might respect them and call the killing of them a harvest and name them your quarry but to some they are just a dead varmint. They don't shoot at them out of some great nobility. They do it to remove a pest. Shooting one is like swatting a fly. A wounded varmint is still better than a healthy varmint if you take away its ability to do you perceived harm.

Last edited:
Back