any one ever hear a dying rabbit?

jetman

We spend at least two days a week out in the field and probably an average of 8 hours a time that is 832 ( at least) a year. I have NEVER heard any thing that sounds like a dying rabbit call,WAT UP WIT DAT ?
Never a wood pecker in distress or a coon fighting. Ive seen deer and elk fawns being eaten and heard them. I even got a feral cat in a trap once but NEVER a rabbit sound. Do you guys go out and hear this stuff often ?
Just wandering!
PS how the heck do they get the sounds recorded, stomping an a bunny or something?

I shot a jackrabbit a long while back and it let out a scream so loud I jumped! I have heard only 2 snowshow rabbits scream, but only very lightly when shot also.

Lots of open desert around here I have heard a few rabbits give up the ghost. All have been due to predation never when shot. One scared the crap out of my sister and neice while camping one night. They are alot louder than I thought they would be. As far as the recording it would be tough to round up live participants.

Don't remember hearing one but I paid attention
to how domestic and other animals reacted to
the sounds, and I think they hear it plenty

Kinda like a buck grunt call. Years ago I'd never
heard or paid attention to the sound but I called
in owls, hawks and stuff and eventually deer so I
know that's natural sounds for them

The rabbit sounds and mouse squeaker sounds
I made this morning sounded so pitiful I almost
felt guilty and carried them to the vet. I'm sure
that's why I didn't get any furbearers. They didn't
want the carnage a lasting memory.

Years ago I used a bulldozer to remove
several hunnert acres of orchard trees
In doing this I'd have several to many
Hawks and a rare yote watching.
I'd jump bunnies repeatedly to try to
entice the hawks but maybe only a
couple of times did they go after a
rabbit but they'd swoop and light
right beside me and kill/eat a rat

It seemed to me that they preferred
Rats to plump rabbits. Don't forget
to try the mouse squeakers

When I was little my sisters each had a rabbit. One day they decided to take them for a walk using a piece of bailing rope as a leash. One of the rabbits tried to run off and the rope tightened up around it's neck. That rabbit flipped out and screamed bloody murder. It was louder and crazier than you can imagine.

Yes i've heard rabbit screams. I've had them scream while I was taking them out of live traps.
In most cases, it takes years to record live distress sounds. I've heard Gerald Stewart talk about riding all night for night after night with his dad, Johnny Stewart to try to record distress sounds from fresh hit animals on the highway. I've heard lots of animals making distresed sounds through many years of sitting ina tree stand while bow hunting.
And if you have ever herd a coon fight, you will never forget it. I would liken it to minuature grizzly bears fighting.

Shayne

Check out youtube,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNur2uy5rNs there used to be a guy that trapped them and made them scream by pulling on there back legs and ears at the same time. It sounded like the link I have here.

yeah i did .sounds just like my fury. i shot him and he jupmed into a cactus (awwwwch)and his nose got hooked on it and it start screeming .it was pretty intense .i felt so bad for him so i shot it again.

I heard a rabbit screamig during dove season, but wasn't able to get to where it was. I have heard coon fights and squalling and twittering several times.

Heard it many times. It will almosy make you come out of your skin in the middle of the night when it starts up. It is loud as any e caller.

I have heard a lot of the rabbits I have killed over the years give the cry. Sounds just like a call.

Never heard one go on and on for 30 minutes though. Usually like ten seconds or less then they either die or shut up.

If you want to hear it, watch discovery channel's: Life program on the hunters and the hunted. There is footage of a weasel called a stoat killing a hare that cries for a second or two.

Last edited:
check out "screaming rabbit gets eaten by cypher" on youtube.
I have heard them scream on a number on occasions. After I shot them and was pulling their head off, getting stuck in a fence, getting eaten by a javelina, getting eaten by coyotes.

Me too. Many a Jack when shot with a bow. They will do it all day long if you put a clothes pin on their nipple!
lol.gif

Just kidding before someone asks...

Yep. Backyard in the blackberry bushes and sounded like a hand call. Not too loud, but no mistaking what was going on. Game over rabbit.

Sendit

Back