any coyotes left in illinios ??????

Where did you see that?

From the Illinois Hunting Digest;

Coyotes:
Year round (Statewide).
Closed Nov. 19-20 and through 6 p.m. Nov. 21 and closed Dec. 2-4
and through 5 p.m. Dec. 5 in counties open for firearm deer hunting.

NOTE: The lawful possession of rifles to take
furbearing mammals and game mammals other
than deer shall not be prohibited during the
youth deer hunting season (Oct. 9-10, 2010)
muzzleloading rifle-only deer season (Dec.10-
12, 2010), and CWD and late-winter antlerless
only deer season (Dec. 30, 2010 – Jan. 2, 2011
and Jan. 14-16, 2011).

Coyote hunters must wear 400
square inches of solid blaze orange
when hunting in a county when
there is any firearm deer season in
progress including youth seasons,
muzzle loader-only, late-winter, and
CWD seasons.

Furbearing Mammals:
Mink, muskrat, raccoon,
striped skunk, weasel, opossum, beaver,
red fox, gray fox, badger, bobcat, river otter
and coyote.

Yeah, there are still a few left in Illinois.

[img:center]http://
01-02-11_Male.jpg
[/img]

Last edited:
There are definately coyotes here....monroe county...I just can't seem to get any to come in to the call. I see sign everywhere, and hear them talking in the dark, but I really am new to this, 45 years old and just HAD to take up something new....lol
If any of ya'll want to help a rookie, I could use all I can get.. I have ground, weapon, 2 electronic callers, and 1 hand call...all I need is some guidance.....or maybe some pointers...lol
Thanks

Reading this forum will definitely get you off on the right foot. Read the magazines, watch the TV shows, watch some videos, read a book or two. Although you need to be aware that hunting out west (like most of the TV shows) is a little different than hunting here in Illinois. You can call them across large open fields here, but generally speaking, you really have to be on your toes and ready. It's rare to be able to watch one running in for 600 yards around here.

As for actually hunting, you gotta be where the coyotes are. Look for sign(tracks and scat). Listen in the early evening right after sundown. Even if you know where they should be, some won't come to the call. These are smart animals.

Be quiet when you're going to a stand. Don't slam your doors, remove the keys before you open your door so it doens't beep, whisper (if you must talk).

Always play the wind...hunt with the wind in your face or in a cross wind. Keep an eye on the downwind side of your caller...if the coyote doesn't rush straight in to your caller, he's heading downwind to get a whiff of what he hears (and may see if you use a decoy).

Be patient...especially if you are in the woods. In the thicker stuff (like we have here in Illinois) you might stay on stand a little longer. The coyotes seem to be sneakier in the woods (and later in the season)...they just come in slower for the most part...it's real easy to give up early and get busted as you are moving to your next stand.

Learn to relax your eyes and just scan for movement. It's hard to explain, but make a point to try to train your eyes and concentrate on variations and movemnet in your hunting area. I'd hate to think how many coyotes that came in and I did not see since I've started...and I bet you have missed a few too!
Always be prepared for a shot once you start calling...get your gun in position, have you gloves and/or face mask on, have a bullet chambered, etc...they can come in fast and out of nowhere. Oh yeah, sit very still once you start calling.

On the initial call I like to change up the volume. We typically start with a distress call (usually a rabbit but sometimes a mouse squeaker or something like the Kiss of Death on the Foxpro). Sometimes I'll start a stand off with some lip squeaks if I'm in the woods.

I always start quietly just in case something is close. Then if nothing responds after a couple of minutes, I'll go with a few louder cries, but I turn the caller back down (although still a little louder than the initial calls).

Some people let the caller run continuously. Some will pause for a period of time. I've done both and feel more confident running it for a minute or two and shutting it off for a minute or two, varying the volume all the time. I also like to end every stand with some sort of coyote distress call. If you shoot one, sit still and switch to a Ki Yi or pup distress...you will frequently call another one or two in.

Use a decoy...I prefer the Mojo Critter. I also prefer an e-caller because they focus the coyotes attention away from you. This gives you a little wiggle room to get situated for a good shot.

I prefer a monopod shooting stick. I picked up a Gorilla stick from Gander Mountain the other day for 10 bucks that I really like. I had previously used the Sniper Styx but really like the monopod better for the places I hunt.

Bark or howl at them if you want to stop them in their tracks. Take your time and take a good shot.

Oh yeah...did I mention you ALWAYS have to be aware of wind direction and how it impacts your stand? Never ever try to hunt with the wind blowing your scent in the direction you think the dogs are. Same with your approach...don't walk in if your scent will be blowing where you think the dogs might be. It's like they say about an Elk: you might fool their eyes or ears a time or two, but you'll never fool their noses.

Good luck and don't get discouraged. Predator hunting is an awesome sport.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. I am hunting here at the house...300 acres mixed woods and fields, abutted too 3000 acres of hunting river bottom..thick stuff, and the two neighboring farms. I hear them at sundown, and I have sign everywhere. Just put out a bait sight....like I would if I were trapping, and placed a game camera on the sight...see what happens overnight. I get coyote pics on my deer cameras, and have killed 2 so far bowhunting deer this year....so I know I got em.

Some really good advice for you there from BradB41, coyoterookie. Good luck man. Keep those eyes and ears open buddy. they can be sneaky buggers.

Like I stated earlier, I am extremely new to this, but about 20 minutes ago I went out on the back porch;heard some barkingin the wood line, so i hit the challenge howl on my e call just to see what would happen. WOW did Iget a response!!!! Half a dozen howls back and a bunch of barks...I just sent the money to a forum member for a gun light.....can;t wait to try night hunting!!!!!!!!!!!!!

coyoterookie,

Last night we called four stands and got seven coyotes
I used female howls and pup howls.
Be careful of challenge sounds, i only challenge when
challenged. Go get'em and keep us posted on your results.
yote hunter

coyoterookie, the best advice ive received on here was from jackindistress. I too live in illinois and had a heck of a time getting yotes to come in to a call. I hunt mixed timber, crop fields and pasture same as you. I couldnt get a coyote called in but jack suggested for me to get in the timber and call along creek beds and diches in. I know it isnt many to alot of people, but i went from zero last season to 5 kills from thanksgiving to present this season. I couldnt be happier. now if i could just figure out this late january early febuary slump im in, I think I can get a few more! get in the timber and call half as loud as u would out in the open. Thats what has worked best 4 me any way

Back