Any caveats with Nickel brass?

A friend gave me 2 boxes of Win nickle .280 cases.After full length sizing I debured the case mouth's lightly inside and out and ran a brush through.When I tried seating the bullets the jacket got shaved off a few.I stopped and debured/brushed again but got the same result.Maybe I'm missing something but I cant see what I did wrong.

Originally Posted By: Bernie P.A friend gave me 2 boxes of Win nickle .280 cases.After full length sizing I debured the case mouth's lightly inside and out and ran a brush through.When I tried seating the bullets the jacket got shaved off a few.I stopped and debured/brushed again but got the same result.Maybe I'm missing something but I cant see what I did wrong.

Are you using a flat base bullet? If so, then you should chamfer the case mouth a bit so the bullet base can get a start into the case. You'll have the same problem with brass cases if you don't chamfer the mouth of the case.

Originally Posted By: Bernie P.A friend gave me 2 boxes of Win nickle .280 cases.After full length sizing I debured the case mouth's lightly inside and out and ran a brush through.When I tried seating the bullets the jacket got shaved off a few.I stopped and debured/brushed again but got the same result.Maybe I'm missing something but I cant see what I did wrong.

Use a Lyman "M" die - no shaving, no problems, with ANY brass.

The only problem I had with nickle has been with my 22-250. My ragged hole group opened up to almost an inch. But since I changed a component of my best load it really can't be blamed on the brass,I would just need to change the load a bit to tighten it up useing the nickle.

I used a Lee chamfer tool to debur the cases.The bullets are flat base but I had no problem following the exact same procedure with Rem brass and the same bullets.I'll try using boattails with the nickle cases.Maybe that will work.Is there any chance the shaved bullets might scratch the bore?I don't have a bullet puller.

I use some nickle plated brass, and only thing I have to do differently is give the case mouth a slight chamfer BEFORE it`s first sizing. If I don`t, then the slight build up of the plating there, will flake off and while it may not harm your die, it will darn sure make them new cases look like.... scratched up.

ETA- this applies to new, never loaded Remington product. Also, I use a carbide burr bit for most of my chamfering. Pointed tree shape IIRC.

Last edited:
Back