Any butt guys here?

I'm having a boston butt for Christmas dinner myself.
Cooked a couple about 2 months ago and froze one. Just put it in the crock pot for a few hours and it is as good as fresh. Here in the East we like a vinegar based sauce. Uncle Yammys' is my favorite.
Just add buns and cole slaw and we're good.

Man I think that is the prettiest skin I've ever seen on a roasted bird.
Just perfect!
thumbup1.gif

If it's half as good as it looks it'll make a rabbit hug a hound!!
Take some pictures tomorrow when you carve it if you can.

Originally Posted By: 1trkyhntrHere in the East we like a vinegar based sauce. Uncle Yammys' is my favorite.
Just add buns and cole slaw and we're good.

Yep, two of the home-made sauces I took were vinegar based and one was a mustard based sauce.
Did a double batch of cole slaw too!

The butt was finished up this afternoon. Gonna smoke up and glaze a spiral-cut ham tomorrow morning for Christmas dinner.

240-250. Internal temp 165breast 175leg.
Rubbed the outside with olive oil and seasoned with larue dillo rub. Injected the bird with melted butter seasoned with garlic and tony chachere's Creole seasoning.

Also brined it for 24 hours. 1 gal water,1 cup salt, 1 cup sugar, 1 bunch fresh sage/thyme/rosemary, and a tablespoon of whole peppercorns.

The skin wasn't edible. To rubbery. No one in my house like the skin anyway. If you want edible skin, pull it out of the smoker half way though and finish in the oven at a higher temp. The meat was delicious though.

Originally Posted By: borkonthe was a "butt-guy" here but he dissapeared after Trump won

Borkon for the win.....

You guys are killing me with the food posts. Christmas morning tradition is doughnuts....

I want roasted animal!

Originally Posted By: crapshootThe skin wasn't edible. To rubbery. No one in my house like the skin anyway. If you want edible skin, pull it out of the smoker half way though and finish in the oven at a higher temp. The meat was delicious though.

I have found a long soak in a salt brine will make the skin very good and crispy. I am not sure why yours didn't turn out...maybe just not quite enough circulation...???? That meat looks amazing though.

Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: Lazerus
I want roasted animal!

Well how about some ham then?
grin.gif

Dang it Jeff...that looks GOOD! I had to make a ham in the oven and taters in the Crock-Pot yesterday. I wasn't overly impressed with the hame, but the 8 young Airmen we fed sure gobbled it up. I can't wait to get back to my smoker!!!!

Quote: The skin wasn't edible. To rubbery. No one in my house like the skin anyway. If you want edible skin, pull it out of the smoker half way though and finish in the oven at a higher temp. The meat was delicious though.

Have never tried smoking a turkey. Afraid I'll have to forego the brine soak, though as salt a no-no for wife's blood pressure....really causes it to spike.

I try to keep the pit @ 225*, no more than 250* for brisket and it takes about 5-6 hours to reach 140* center temp. Get nearly 1/4" smoke ring. Hard to keep down to 225* w/mesquite. Think that would work on a bird?

ETA: That ham DOES look scrumptious!

Regards,
hm

Last edited:
Lance, thanks for the update on the Turkey. My Smoked chicken skin turned ot the same way. But I cooked it slo as well. I am thinking that when cooking a bird while even smoking, you need the temps up to about 300 or so to come out crispy? But the Meat was definitely tasty. I use a propane Smoker.... I Like easy. Another thing that happens here where I live, the wind picks up so bad that the smoker won't stay lit. If I can get the 20 mins or so of smoke, I can finish it here in the house and it still tastes great.

Thanks guys! The ham was extra good.

I've never had any luck doing poultry low and slow either. It always turns out with a rubbery skin. I have the best luck doing whole chickens spatchcocked and smoked with a little apple wood at about 325-350 if I remember correctly.

I gotta do a couple more of these pretty soon!!

Slow and low with a bird isn't a problem so long as the internal temp reaches 140 within 4 hrs for health concerns.
Edible crunchy skin is another story. As I said before you can always smoke for a couple hours to get the smoke flavor and then finish in the oven if you want crunchy skin. I could care less about the skin. But a brine sure does make em juicy.

Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: Lazerus
I want roasted animal!

Well how about some ham then?
grin.gif

oh man. i smoked a ham this year for easter. nothing fancy, fairly generic ham - spiral sliced like yours. mixed honey with the brown sugar seasoning packet that came with it, and drizzled more honey on every 45 mins or so through the cooking process.

i want to say cook time was about 3 hours, and said cheap generic grocery isle ham turned out amazing. cooking temp was 225*F until i reached internal of 155*F.

i think i burned through most of a honey bear on that one, totally worth it!

Last edited:
Back