Any Alaskans still on board?

Coyote Hunter,
That area is not open to motorized vehicles, but all the animals we seen were from the road. I'm not for sure where the caribou are at this time of year, but wouldn't mind getting a couple myself.

John,
Sorry to hear about your friend,hope you are doing okay. Glad to hear from you again. I always enjoy your stories and adventures. Hope to hear more from you as the season goes on.

Thanks for the kind words about my friend. Its a tough one as we were also suppose to go hunting together last week. But life goes on...

Speaking of which another bud has told me that there could be a sub bou season opening either this friday or early next week just where one of my calling areas is. Hmm caribou = wolf. Not a bad combo especially since the wife wants a bou. hopefully the bou season lasts more then a day! Guess I'll head east instead of south as originally planned.

Randy 1174 sq ft can dull one's season just a tad. Hopefully for you most of it is out of the way. Last year a ton of personal things limited my time out. This year I had most of my moose & sheep season messed up as I got drawn for a remote cabin site (lucky me!!) and spent most of those seasons finding just where I wanted it to be and then filed on it after locating the corners and brushing the boundaries. Got lots of miles on my legs. I took 18.7 acres out of a max of 20 allowed on a creek. It is an area only 35 miles away from Tok and only a 2 mile pack trip in. My 4 whlr can't quite make it in ...yet. Plan on doing some calling there too this year once the bears go to bed as there are critters in the area and I want to explore a route in on my sno go. Hopefully the state accepts my filing. If so its cabin building time this next summer & fall.

Hows everyone doing?
I have a question for all of you even though it deals with nothing about predator hunting.
I've been thinking about when I get my all my ratings I need and when I finally get my pilot licence, I'd like to be an Alaskan Bush Pilot. Was wondering what the demand is for up there and anyone know what the pay is? Would love to take some hunters to their camps and doin some hunt'in myself there and what ever other chores their are. But that'll be in a few years, just asking ahead of time.

Thanks,

AlphaDog

AlphDog,

Not that anyone here can't help you, .because I'm sure someone else can. I don't think I can post it but if you email me I'll give you a web addy that has forum for Bush Pilots. I check into it everyonce in a while and those guys have a lot of good info.

Todd
tcwm@gci.net

Hi guys.Took the 9 year old out to shoot the new 410 we got at the gun show, Sunday.Any way I don`t know if you guys have hunted alot on the haul road, but I think you may need to be 5 miles away from the pipe line to shoot any guns.And thay may not let you use a atv or a snow machine in the same area also.I could be wrong but you should look in to that before you go.Sorry about your friend , I know how important my friends and family are to me.Good luck to all and nice to see afew Alaskans on the board.

AlphaDog
The only ratings you need are a commercial pilots and an instrument rating. A repairmans certificate will be a BIG, BIG, plus. Floatplane rating can be easily added at any time. Skis do not need a rating, just a bit of experience, hopefully, after you are hired, and again at your employers expense. A part 121 checkout will probably be needed, but is normally done in your employers planes, at his expense.

Make sure most of your time is in taildraggers. Tricycle gear time is a negative to anybody hiring. The less the better. 500 hours in taildraggers is better than 10,000 hours in tricycle gear planes. That is unless you have 10,000 hours in DC9s and want to fly fish off the beach.

The pay is enough to live on, not much more.

Do not even think you can take your own plane to Alaska and make a living flying it.

Jack

Ok, Thanks alot guys and especially to Jack.

Dont worry about me taking my own plane.... An otter is what you really need. Atleast one of the best bush planes you can get.
Also, I should go for traildragger first and then work on my floatplane ratings? And do you really need your own plane like I hear alot of people say?

Thanks,

AlphaDog

Well damn! I highly doubt there is a enough snow up on the Haul Road to tame me and my Summit Highmark 800, anyways. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

But the F&G guys expect you to walk 5 miles past the corridor to legally shoot caribou(with rifles) in the winter?! That sounds like suicide to me. I obviously need to start hunting with a bow.

Hello Fellas!
My name is Jesse,this Nov. I will become an official Alaskan resident!
I work in Anchorage as a carpenter full time.
The rest of the time I am in search of furry things with teeth and claws.

I Would like to hook up and tell some lies to yall! I really do love the time I have spent here in Alaska!

AlphaDog
The taildragger time you need. The floatplane rating you can get in a few days.

Starting your own charter business requires so much paperwork, letters of approval, inspections, initial investment, etc. , you will be much better off working for an established outfit.

After a few years of experience, you may decide to try to go out on your own. Just remember the old saying; "The way to make a small fortune in aviation, is to start with a large one."

Jack

Welcome to the board Jesse.The more Alaskans the better in my book.Not that my book is long.Are you a res or comerical carpenter? I`m a Sprinkler Fitter for Fire Protection Contractors. Any way keep us posted on the critters you get.

Alaskan Critter,
I prefer commercial work,because a lot of it is inside, and that aint so bad in the winter!

Still cant decide what I wanna be when I grow up!
A man should keep his options open at all times,
never miss a phone call to go hunting, or fishing!!

We might just have enough to start are own Predator Calling Association /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I go back to work tomorrow for aweek, and not this weekend but the next we all should try to get together for breakfast or coffee and throw out some idea for this winter.

Todd
tcwm@gci.net

Sounds like you guys have some good jobs. I want to become a plumber, but I need connections. I have to wait a year before I can go through the Plumber's Union.

Let me know when you guys want to get together I`ll be up for that if I`m not hunting.If your a really hard worker I my be able to get you in the Sprinklers Union. I`m busy with hockey next weekend but should be ready for a hunt the next weekend.Rained so much this fall and did`nt get to much fall fishing in this year.I hope it gets cool soon or the gaurd hairs are going to be short.Need the snow for tracks any way.

How did you guys get started in predator hunting and how long have you been in to it? I started deer hunting in Montana and got the hunting blood back in my vains and came back to Alaska and need some thing to hunt.Last year was my first year at critter hunting.What a kick. I go 4 wheeling alot and see wolf and coyote tracks all the time.

I started predator hunting about four years ago when I saw my first ever wolf(three of them to be exact in a small pack) while on my annual spring brown bear hunt. The lead wolf was simply amazing. Pure black and the two others that followed him/her were gray. I saw them on my first ever spring bear hunt also, which I saw 5 brown bears that year. You guys who hunt the Mat-Su area would be suprised that I saw all of these critters in unit 14A!

Like I mentioned before, I haven't shot a coyote or wolf yet, but I'm hoping that will change this year. I've hunted them before, just no success yet.

Fellas,

I’m not 100% how I got the bug but it was a couple of years ago. I read a lot of hunting and trapping magazines and the more I read about calling the more intrigued I was about it. Then I found the Predator Trapper and Predator Masters (Now Predator Extreme) magazines and the more I read the more I wanted the challenge. My first set of call’s I owned were a Knight-N-Hale set and a Lohman Squeeker ball I believe. I worked in Seward at the time and didn’t have a radio in my truck so on the way down I would practice my calling. I got pretty good with KH diaphram and decided to try it. I went out to Pt. Mac one morning after a fresh snow. I found a little hill and set on the down wind side and called for about 45 minutes (SP I didn’t even have a gun with me, I just wanted see if I could do it.) Well nothing showed up so I put my snowshoes back on and stepped over the backside of the hill. Right next to my incoming snowshoe tracks was a set of coyote tracks. The coyote walked with in 10 feet of my backside then bolted of to his/her right. Well I knew I made a few mistakes, but realized that I could do it. Each year after that I averaged about 5-6 days out a year. All but two days I called something in and couldn’t get a shot off, or my partner couldn’t shoot without hitting me. This year I will try the shotgun approach. I have read most books on the subject and most of it is true but in my case there is always the exception. Since that first coyote I called they all seem to want to come in behind me no matter how I set up. I guess I need a tail gunner.

Todd

Hey Guys,
I got into predator hunting back in 1989. My brother and I were brown bear hunting across Cook Inlet.I had brought along some mouth calls I had picked up in hopes of using possibly on a bear. We were sitting around a campfire one evening and and I started blowing on this call, not knowing what kind of noise I was suppose to be making with it. My brother grabbed the call and started blowing on it telling me what it was suppose to sound like. We argued back and forth over what it was suppose to sound like, looked up and here was this red fox 10-15 feet away just looking at us. After that I have been addicted to predator hunting.I bought several mouth calls and a few years back spent some money on the wildlife technologies caller which I really like.I hope to hunt more this year than I got to last year.
Take Care,
Dogman

Back