Any .25 cal guys out there?

If you have to scratch your head you'll never understand. Maybe the fact that the quarter bore was killing stuff (250-3000, 25/35, 25-20 and more) before either of the ones you mentioned were a gleam in someone's eye.

Last edited:
I have several friends who insist the .25-06 hung the moon as a varmint cartridge. If you're one of them, more power to you. For my part, though, I'm not a fan. Both the .270 Win. and 6mm Rem. best it in any use that matters. Given that the .270 is more versatile and has cheaper easier to find ammo, I often scratch my head over exactly what the the .25-06 has to offer.
Perhaps it's in the mind of the user. I've had a 270 and it just never excited me other than the rifle it was in. I also have a 25-06 and it only really turns me on with heavier than 115 gr bullet's. H have a 6.5x06, a 6.5x55 and a 260 Rem and prefer them over the 25-06 for the heavier weight bullets for hunting. I also have had and still do a 243 Win that in my mind make a better varmint rifle than my 25-06. The 2770 simply doesn't turn me on for lack of bullets. For better bullet's than 6.5 I much prefer the 7mm's. Have had several 7x57's, a 280 Rem and 7mm mag. All handle better bullet's than the 270 if need be. Of course that is simply all in my mind and doesn't really mean a lot! Just to many cartridges simply to close to each other to make a wrong pick, especially on animals like deer!

I would not consider myself a ".25 cal guy" but I do own a 257 WBY Mag. My input to share is that it seems to be very finicky round to load for. I've gotten good groups with 90gr GMX/CX but I need to snake my barrel after every group to keep it shooting good groups.

Looks like i am still sticking to the .25 for the rest of 2024 .

-
750 box.jpg

-

I’ve always wanted a .257 Robert’s. I have a couple 6mm Remington’s and love them. It would be nice to have one in the parent case….

Back