Any 223/556 showing up on the shelves yet?

I only know two folks that have pressure testing equipment and both are members here on PM. Mr. Catshooter is one and he has tested them and if anyone cares to use the search you can read for yourself what his opinion is..... hint he agrees with Chupa.

Most folks who load .223's close to maximum are running the same pressures as 5.56

Originally Posted By: venaticI only know two folks that have pressure testing equipment and both are members here on PM. Mr. Catshooter is one and he has tested them and if anyone cares to use the search you can read for yourself what his opinion is..... hint he agrees with Chupa.

It's the other way around V. I agree with Catshooter, not Catshooter agrees with me. It's because of Catshooter that caused me to investigate this topic for myself rather than trusting Wikipedia, and various tactical blogs. I'll admit though that I have fallen for my fair share of internet myths, including this one.

Chupa

This thread started out a bit slow, but has improved greatly in the last day or so.

...now if you will excuse me, I am going to run some 2-3/4" through my 3" gun...
w00t.gif

lol.gif

Originally Posted By: C.JayThis thread started out a bit slow, but has improved greatly in the last day or so.

...now if you will excuse me, I am going to run some 2-3/4" through my 3" gun...
w00t.gif

lol.gif

Now that's funny right there
lol.gif

Farm store right next door to where I work has all ammo built back up except .22lr and magnum along with .17hmr. Still no powder or bullets for reloading but plenty of primers.

Last edited:
Like I said, it depends on what information you want to believe. I can come up with a lot of sources with information both ways. I can show lots of posts where people are running way over max on reloads also with no problems. Does that mean it is safe for everyone to do? Every gun is different. Some will take it, others wont. I personally wouldnt recommend to everyone that they do it. Would you?

Originally Posted By: Chupathingyhttp://www.everyspec.com/MIL-SPECS/MIL-S...NT-1.013865.PDF

Bottom of page 1 and top of page 2. Awfully familiar numbers depending on test method, and both numbers are acceptable for 5.56 NATO.

I find it hard to believe that an industry would create a fib to inflate their bottom line.......No, that would never happen.

Chupa

What is this at the top of page 1? That is not 5.56, it says 50 caliber.

MILITARY SPECIFICATION
CARTRIDGES, CALIBER .50, ARMOR-PIERCING-INCENDIARY, M8;
AND ARMOR-PIERCING-INCENDIARY-TRACER, M20

Mil Specs dont mean anything. I deal with aircraft parts and repairs everyday. The parts are supposed to be built to their specifications also. Trust me when I say it does not happen. I dont believe the government ever checks them. Do you actually believe what the government tells you about specifications?? I get parts all the time with the stickers on them saying they are approved and are not any where near what the print calls out for.

The link you provided is what it is supposed to be. It does not show what it actually is. Do you believe that the government wouldnt lie to you? By the way, the link you provided isnt even a government web site so how do you know that the information they are giving is true??

You could take 10 different companies and have them run tests and probably get 10 different results.

Mark you made the case that catshooter has pointed out ...there is enough variance in guns/reamers that these warnings are just CYA from manufactures lawyers just in case.
I only bring it up to point out to folks that seem to think that if you were to fire a 5.56 in a .223 that there would be an explosion/conflagration like we saw in West,Texas and you and anyone around you will be instantly blown into particles 3 microns in size.
wink.gif

The only instance I have ever found (Google)of any .223/5.56 ammo problem damaging guns was just the opposite where some defective .223 was fired in a 5.56 WHICH everyone says is just fine. FWIW

Of course this discussion and the 17HMR/coyote gun argument will still be going on long after I am dead which maybe happen soon as I am going to shoot some .223/5.56 today.
lol.gif

Last edited:
556...223... All I'm hearing is "dead yote"... "dead yote" But it's always fun to hear the debate, again, and again, the same way the dentists office is fun...

Originally Posted By: reb8600

You could take 10 different companies and have them run tests and probably get 10 different results.

You are absolutely correct in this and that is exactly what I have been saying this whole time.the only difference between the two is who tested it and the test method used I.e. SAAMI & E.P.V.A.T.

There is your difference.

Chupa

Originally Posted By: ChupathingyOriginally Posted By: reb8600

You are absolutely correct in this and that is exactly what I have been saying this whole time.the only difference between the two is who tested it and the test method used I.e. SAAMI & E.P.V.A.T.

There is your difference.

Chupa

Chupa, would it be safe to say that if your comfortable firing a 5.56 from a .223 gun, then its your choice? I 100% agree that they are the same but its up to the gun owner whether or not to do it.

OP asked about ammo available in everyone's location, in Southern VA we are starting to see shelves filling up but rim fire is still scarse.

Around here there is .223 aplenty the only item still tough to find is .22 rimfire. Powder shelves are back restocked here locally. Primers while not abundant are in stock at some locations. I have purposely not bought anything locally even .22 rimfire which I saw a good supply of Wednesday but this morning it was all gone. I don't need anything really so just waiting on the 'new' normal to return.... which it will.

Here .223, 9mm are lasting through lunch on truck days. .22LR, .40S&W and .45ACP are gone in 15 minutes due to low supply being delivered. All that being said, all of it is being bought up by the same 20-30 customers who are waiting for the store to open on truck days. If people would stop paying the panic prices, you could find it on the shelf at normal prices. .22LR we are selling at normal prices(+-$3.00 per 100 .etc). I hate the gougers as much as the next guy, but the truth is that if you want it, you can get it and get it at normal price.....you just don't want it as bad as the gougers do.

Chupa

Plenty of ammo here including 223 and 5.56. Can also find primers and some powder. There is even 22 LR coming in at several stores, it is usually gone by the end of the day.

I was at Sportsmans today. Got 500 Rem 7/1/2 primers (left about another 500 on the shelf).

Also got 2 pounds of 4198.

I about ran up the aisle squealing like maxwell the pig from the geico commercials.

Originally Posted By: YellowhammerYou realize 5.56 and .223 are the same thing don't you? Just differnt brands and bullets.

Not according to the Sporting Arms And Manufacturers Institute (SAAMI). They are the governing body for the firerms industry that ultimately sets the standards and decides what exactly constitutes a 22LR, 223 Remington, 243, 308,and every other commercially produced firearm caliber. They as an organization state in no uncertain terms that the .223 Remington chamber and cartridge are in fact different from 5.56x45 NATO.

One can argue until you are blue in the face but you will still be wrong. You can argue until the cows come home but you will still be wrong. The only way you could ever be right is to form your own organization staffed with dozens of full time mechanical engineers,metallurgists, and firearms experts. Then become recogized by every large firearms related company in the country, get those companies to become members and pay dues and sit on your board, then get recognized by the US government as the organization responsible for setting industry standards. Once you do all that, if you really really want to, you can tell everyone that the .223 and 5.56 are identical. However it's a Catch 22 because once you do all that you will have exactly the same body of research that SAAMI has developed over 87 years so you will come to the exact same conclusion of SAAMI that .223 Remington and 5.56 NATO are NOT identical.

Last edited:
Wish I had a penny for every 5.56 shell I have fired throught a 223's. I would buy 2 more 223's and shoot some more 5.56 through them.
w00t.gif
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: roode301Wish I had a penny for every 5.56 shell I have fired throught a 223's. I would buy 2 more 223's and shoot some more 5.56 through them.
w00t.gif
crazy.gif

They are not shells they are cartridges. Only shotguns and artillery fire "Shells". Using that logic .410 shotgun shells and 45 Long Colt cartridges are identical because I have a revolver that fires both. Is that a cowbell I hear? Bessie must be coming home.
grin.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mj36639Originally Posted By: roode301Wish I had a penny for every 5.56 shell I have fired throught a 223's. I would buy 2 more 223's and shoot some more 5.56 through them.
w00t.gif
crazy.gif

They are not shells they are cartridges. Only shotguns and artillery fire "Shells". Using that logic .410 shotgun shells and 45 Long Colt cartridges are identical because I have a revolver that fires both. Is that a cowbell I hear? Bessie must be coming home.
grin.gif

If you want to get picky smart guy a 410 is bore not a shotgun shell. Also 76mm so put that in your mil spec pipe and smoke it.
tt2.gif

Originally Posted By: roode301Originally Posted By: mj36639Originally Posted By: roode301Wish I had a penny for every 5.56 shell I have fired throught a 223's. I would buy 2 more 223's and shoot some more 5.56 through them.
w00t.gif
crazy.gif

grin.gif

If you want to get picky smart guy a 410 is bore not a shotgun shell. Also 76mm so put that in your mil spec pipe and smoke it.
tt2.gif

I think what you meant to say is .410 is not a guage it is a bore or caliber. However it is most certainly a "Shotgun shell". Im am still unclear on what point you were attempting to make, but anyway I corrected some erroneous information so let's get back on topic with the OP's original question.

I have not seen much .223 Remington OR 5.56x45 NATO ammunition on shelves. I like to squirrel away Federal XM-193 5.56 but I haven't seen that since December. The only thing I have seen in any numbers locally is Hornady TAP for $20 a box.

We have tons of 5.56,223,7.62x39,7.62x51 or 308. 50 ar's and a truck load of mags for all of the above. All at the gun shop that I work at. Some powder,primers and bullets and we would be all good.

Back