another 22 MAGNUM QUESTION

Lodgepole

My friend who is a bench rest shooter always talks down on the 22 mag accuracy. Frankly the two I have are so-so (Savage & Marlin Bolt guns. Could be because of the cheapo scopes or the lack of a wide variety of different ammo to test. Lets say we have no wind or mirage should you be able to put 3 shots in a fifty cent piece at 100 yds ? Lodgepole

Originally Posted By: Lodgepole Lets say we have no wind or mirage should you be able to put 3 shots in a fifty cent piece at 100 yds ? Lodgepole

with a good shooting rifle and a good shooter on that rifle that should be easy enough.

the internet answer will be dime size or one hole all day long with one arm tied behind back if you do you part.
tongue_smilie.gif

Any good internet hero could do that riding a buffalo bareback at full gallop hanging off the side shooting one handed under it's neck.

Originally Posted By: TnslimAny good internet hero could do that riding a buffalo bareback at full gallop hanging off the side shooting one handed under it's neck.

Try it with an ostrich.

Greg

Yeah, I know the internet is crawling with .22 Mags that will do that all day as long as the owners do their part.

But for some reason, the owners can't ever seem to do their part when I'm around.

Three shots on a fifty cent piece in good conditions is definitely doable, in my opinion. But needs a little luck in getting the right rifle and ammo together.

I really like the .22 Mag. Have used the wee out of them over the years. But your BR buddy is right, the cartridge and rifles do seem to lack inherent accuracy. Lot's of theories on why. But whatever the reasons, you can get .22LR's to shoot a lot better with a lot less effort nine times out of ten.

Which is not to say they aren't "accurate enough" to get a lot of jobs done just fine. I've killed box cars of jackrabbits, p-dogs and various and sundry other vermin with them. But you'd wouldn't expect to win any kind of accuracy contest with one though, competing against a .22LR or .17HMR, all else being equal, the WMR will lose every time.

- DAA

My ruger American with 40g CCI HP & gamepoints will do it at 100, from the bench.
One other 40g, think it was aguila would also.

I shoot a H&K 300 22 mag and it will put three shots in a 50 cent piece all day long at 100 yards if I do my part. It is a very accurate rifle.

They have to be cleaned...most people never do.

My Rugers, marlins, and Mauser loved the 40g win hp...3/4" on a good day at 100, with great scopes on them.

Originally Posted By: TnslimAny good internet hero could do that riding a buffalo bareback at full gallop hanging off the side shooting one handed under it's neck.

You guys just go too far with the comedy!!!!! That is funny, I don't give a GD who you are!!!!!

I have several 22 magnums I hunt fox with at night, they are semi-autos. One is a Volquartsen, the other two are 10-22 magnums. I also have one of the new A-22 Savage guns. Several years ago I had a 77/22 with the heavy barrel. It would shoot like around a 1" group at 100 yards. The Volquartsen will just about do the same thing, the others about a 2" group. Ammo is a big factor. I had really good luck with CCI Maxi Mag +V ammo, which is kind of like a "Stinger" but in 22 magnum. A lot of guys complained about that ammo and were unable to get good accuracy. I guess yeah, you should be able to cover a 5 shot group with a fifty cent piece at 100 yards. The problem is that even with good ammo, most 22 magnums don't have a trigger to allow for much accuracy...barrel either for that matter.

with any rimfire ammo that's not "match" or subsonic, quality control is going to be the most common end to the accuracy discussion.

every lot is going to be different, and if you find a lot # that your gun likes, buy as much as you can find!

some lots will be very consistent and shoot well, others not so much

Originally Posted By: Plant.Onewith any rimfire ammo that's not "match" or subsonic, quality control is going to be the most common end to the accuracy discussion.

every lot is going to be different, and if you find a lot # that your gun likes, buy as much as you can find!

some lots will be very consistent and shoot well, others not so much

I can't speak to this on behalf of 22 WMR ammo, simple because I haven't done the testing with it like I have 17 HMR, but if it's anything like the 17 HMR ammo I've tested, and I have no reason to believe it wouldn't be, it can be alllllllll over the map.

I've had HMR ammo, from the same box of 50, chronograph with an ES of over 125 fps.

A couple years ago I weight sorted a few hundred rounds of rimfire ammo because I was curious what was causing these huge velocity spreads. After weighing them all out I took a couple of the lightest, heaviest, and a couple that weighed right in the middle, then carefully disassembled them and weighed out all the different components. The bullets all weighed the same, the powder charge all weighed the same, and the cases themselves were all pretty close to weighing the same. Nearly all the variance in weight came from the amount of priming compound in each case as there was over .5 tenths of a grain variance in the amount of priming compound in the lightest versus heaviest.

I have no technical data that says, how, the amount of priming compound they put in a case affects velocity, but it stands to reason, 1/2 tenth of a grain, more or less, of priming compound will likely have a pretty significant affect on velocity. Another thing I noticed when I bulled them apart was how much of the priming compound was smeared up the wall of the case on some, while others had it nearly all down at the bottom of the case.

I think it's really unfortunate they have rimfire cartridges that are capable of shooting much further than we ever considered rimfires capable of achieving, yet the manufacturers produce ammo with crazy amounts of velocity spreads.

Here's some 22WMR speed & sd taken with my 18" ruger American 22 mag, 10 rnds each:
Aguila 40 JSP..., 1853 fps, 18 sd
CCI 40 Gamepoint, 1862 fps, 37 sd
Armsco 40 JHP..., 1816 fps, 36 sd

You have no control over the ammo you have no control of the accuracy! It would be like building s 6 ppc and having to buy your ammo at wal mart

I have a 22 mag. that will do .75" @ 100yds. with Win. 40gr.hp. and PMC Predator 40gr.hp. The rifle is a Sako Quad. I have a Savage Anschutz 164M that will also using Win. 40gr.hp ammo, but all other 22 mag.'s I've owned in the past would not. Those that wouldn't was a Savage 35M, Browning Abolt that was bedded, and a CZ 452 that was pillar bedded.
The Win. 40gr. hp ammo has been a good performer for me though others have go performance from different manufactures. Back when I bought the Savage Anschutz, Win. mag. ammo was all that was available in my area hence the reason I have never warmed up to the other brands. I have and have tried about every brand made in recent years, but Win. is what I always go back to.

further, ran ballistic calc drops at 100 yards for this data, and added the vertical spread in inches (on target):

Aguila 40 JSP..., 1853 fps, 18 sd, v.spread 0.4", from ave +0.2/-0.2"
CCI 40 Gamepoint, 1862 fps, 37 sd, v.spread 0.8", from ave +0.4/-0.4"
Armsco 40 JHP..., 1816 fps, 36 sd, v.spread 0.9", from ave +0.4/-0.5"

Vertical spread was the difference in drop between the fastest and slowest round in each group of ten.

Bob, change lots and you'll have a whole different set of numbers! I've chronoed the Win 40gr super x and got muzzle velocity as high as 1960fps and as low as 1750fps!!

I believe you Marco,, wish they could make good match quality 22WMR rounds.
Understand that 10 out of one box may not match 10 out of another..

Back