Annual Groundhog tally for 2013

Hey DB that's my marlin 17hmr Walmart special haha.. Has an adjustable trigger and floated bull barrel and I'm using CCI 17gr VMAX... They shoot great out of my gun . To bad I can't them around me anymore.

Originally Posted By: PredatorJunkieHey DB that's my marlin 17hmr Walmart special haha.. Has an adjustable trigger and floated bull barrel and I'm using CCI 17gr VMAX... They shoot great out of my gun . To bad I can't them around me anymore.

I've got the grey laminated stock and stainless barrel. Mine really likes the CCI 20 gr Gamepoints.

That micro-groove barrel is a accurate shooter for sure!

Originally Posted By: 1up5down
huntingpictures_zpsb1eba620.jpg

Dave

You sure got a cutiepie there Dave. I have never met your wife but I have spent a bit of time with you and I must say that it is obvious that you have ONE PRETTY WIFE!

Keep up the good work there buddy. You just may have a hunting companion for the rest of your life.

Well the .17hmr strikes again.. This hog has escaped me countless times because of where he's always eating from, there's only one spot I can setup to shoot him from.. I snuck up to the spot and set up and sure enough he busted me. So I sat there for 20 minutes behind a feed trough til he showed his face again and as soon as he was in the open enough I took the shot at 70 yards. I gave this guy an earful finally. Number 13 on the year

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RustydustOriginally Posted By: 1up5down
huntingpictures_zpsb1eba620.jpg

Dave

You sure got a cutiepie there Dave. I have never met your wife but I have spent a bit of time with you and I must say that it is obvious that you have ONE PRETTY WIFE!

Keep up the good work there buddy. You just may have a hunting companion for the rest of your life.

HaHa thanks Russ. I can't complain,I gotta say my wife is pretty.I know both my daughters get their looks from her.Thank god too!!

I hope my daughter wants to continue to spend some quality time with me in the field. I cherish every second of it.

Dave

Smacked 2 tonight with a new 40 V-MAX load I worked up in my 22 hornet. First one was at 50 yards, second at 60. Had a small chunk out on the exit for #1, but #2 was perfect. (Thinking about using this load for hides this winter.) I expected to see more damage but maybe I still will as I move further out. I missed my first shot at what would have been a perfect 130 yards, but oh well... this load is definitely capable of striking a whole lot further out than that! Long shots, and head shots testing - coming right up. 33 total now for me. Hoping to get several more over this week and next. We finally have a break from the intense heat & humidity. Enjoy everyone!

Last edited:
I wish we could use AR's. I'd love to try one for woodchucks.

Anyway...

Last night didn't pan out to well after all the rain. Only managed to get one with the .17 HMR.

Tonight went better. I took out the .25-06 for a go round at the whistle-pigs. It dumped the first one at 300 yards without any trouble. Not bad for the deer rifle
thumbup1.gif
. After that I ended up with another four in the 80-150 yard range.

Last edited:
2 more with the 22hornet shooting 40 V-MAX's. Both short shots again this evening, and again - very fur friendly, check it out!

Entrance wound:

You can't even see it right! pin prick

Exit wound as I roll this guy over:

One little clot of blood pushed out, but no real "hole". I think if I make some well placed shots like this on fox this winter, all should be fine with this setup.

Nice job guys!

Pretty gun there wdchuckhunter!! I convinced my daughter-in-law's father, the one who lives in Columbia Crossroads, to buy a Ruger 25-06 a few years ago for deer and woodchucks. Beautiful laminated stock and stainless barrel. It's a shooter with a hair trigger. He does real well with it too!! But it's heavy and ammo is expensive. Kind wish I'd steered him to something lighter and cheaper to shoot. He's never complained though.

Originally Posted By: DogboneNice job guys!

Pretty gun there wdchuckhunter!! I convinced my daughter-in-law's father, the one who lives in Columbia Crossroads, to buy a Ruger 25-06 a few years ago for deer and woodchucks. Beautiful laminated stock and stainless barrel. It's a shooter with a hair trigger. He does real well with it too!! But it's heavy and ammo is expensive. Kind wish I'd steered him to something lighter and cheaper to shoot. He's never complained though.

I really like it. It started life as a basic Savage model 111 in .270 win. After playing with the .270 for a couple years I re-barreled it to the .25-06 so I could use the .270 brass I had. I also added the stock and a Rifle Basix trigger during the rebuild. It's one of the best balanced deer rifles I've had.

Tried to connect with a couple long ones with the 243AI. One was at 820 yards and another at 900 yards but between the wind and lack of a spotter it was a pretty sad attempt. Otherwise I thumped a couple on my way out at 100 yards or so each.

I got two more this evening. 37 I believe it should be now. Just short stuff, able to sneak up on them pretty good in the tall grass. Liking the 40 V-MAX's in this 22hornet! First one was a fatty and had no exit (56 yards). The second was a head shot from just 48.5 yards out. Lots of blood on this one, but it really didn't destroy the whole head like I thought it might, and again if this were a fox - hide would have been just perfect. Still need to test at 100 yards+, but that's just not the shots I've been getting at these smaller farms. And I'm too anxious to get my 22-250 out again now, where with 55gr Blitzkings at about 3,725 fps - well, I can get back to enjoying disintegration once again. The BK's with some heat behind them just DESTROY!

I shot this big female after work today from 60 yards.. All she would do was stick her head out of the hole.. That didn't save her, got her just behind the eye . The 17hmr whacks another whistle pig.

Anyone that like to see groundhogs eat dirt you got to get on YouTube the guy go's by mrchuckhunter he has got a LOT!!! of videos of just puting the smack down on groundhogs. You got to see some of them

PJ, that's just too darn nasty!

It's amazing what those little pills will do when placed in just the right spot!!

Nice shooting!!!

This was fun!

We're on our way home from a wedding yesterday, passing the garden center farm, and my wife spots a groundhog in the field near the road. I glance over quickly and sure enough there it is. I look at my watch. 6:30 and I'm thinking, I've got time to change and get at it.

In a half hour I'm driving onto the property. As I pull in I spot another one under that same shed where I nailed one a week or two ago when the wife was with me. But of course it sees me too and heads for cover. I keep going to a spot where I figure I can get a shot at the one we saw driving by.

I'm looking around and looking around. I finally spot a head behind some weeds, but based on the direction it's going I won't have a shot. So I turn the truck around and drive to a location on the other side of the property where I'm hoping I can get the angle I need.

I get to the area I want and slowly creep the truck to where I can just see the hog in back of the weeds. I get the gun, flip down the bipods, adjust them for the angle of the hood of the truck and load a round in the 223. Grab the binos and range the hog at 185. Put the crosshairs on it and whack! Not even a twitch. One down.

Hope Photobucket doesn't flag and delete this one. Trust me, there's more guts than what you see in the picture.

Now I head back to where I saw the one duck back under the shed. I pull the truck into position and wait. It's going to be a tough shot because of all the obstacles in the way; fences, tent poles and ropes. The hog finally shows. I take the shot, it flops around and disappears behind the shed. I go for the retrieval, but no body. Grrrrr!!!

In the mean time, I get a text from the owner of the farm that tells me he has spotted two around the barn near the house. I text back I'm headed right over (his house and farm are adjacent to the garden center property). I'm glassing the fields and barns as I drive in, but see nothing. I park the truck in the back of the property with a view of the barn next to the house.

All settled in, gun ready (for a change) and waiting. I text him back (I can see he's not home) "front or back"? He says front. Nuts. I'm in the wrong place. But I glass one more time and bingo. I see a head peaking out of the door to the lower part of the barn. 106 yards. I ease the door open, place the gun between the door and the window frame. She stands up to get a better look at me. Pull the trigger. Another whack! Center punched her.

I drive the truck slowly to the front of the same barn looking for the other one. Nothing. So I drive up to the house to take one more look. It's now 10 minutes after sunset and time to leave. I glass one more time and sure enough, I spot one within 20 yards of where I was just parked. 190 yards. Put the gun on the hood of the truck, take aim, a miss. The hog doesn't move. I'm out of ammo. Go to the cab, retrieve a round, load it up, take aim again, pull the trigger. Love that sound! Whack!!

Just inches from its hole. I was lucky for sure.

Four shots, there down. I know the other one is a gonner, but no body for proof.

Like I said, that was fun!!!

Back