Am I a loner now?

i am very used to operating thermals and pvs-14's just never figured it would really put that much more fur on the ground....as a matter of fact i have access to using PAS-13 and never do

Reaper,with your skills and training I would guess you would see a big differance using both tools,I love the PVS-14 with the IR for target ID and the shot,I mount it on the back of my day scope,In your hand or rhino mounted it can be good for spotting,but I have found that when the grass looks white or yellow in the standard night vision,it can be hard to see lighter colored coyotes...The FLIR on the other hand is almost cheating,there is no way for them to beat the heat signature..
Also I find that the WHITE HOT,BLACK HOT,and RED HOT features
can make a big difference given terrain,wood line and seasonal variations.. For Example in summer given the ambient heat given off by all the trees and rocks I use WHITE HOT or RED HOT for viewing so I can make out if I have a live animal down range,in winter in large fields with snow I use the BLACK HOT feature..
If the nightvision and thermal are legal in your state give it a try..

reaper4
I started predator hunting 35 some on years ago with a car battery and Q-Beam, then went to the low end NV gear and then new led lights, then went thermal for locating, then realized I was spotting game farther than I could shoot with the light source, then went thermal for locating and NV gen3 to ID and shoot and have never looked back and take much more coyotes and predators than before, if it hangs up at 2-400 yards its not that big of a deal anymore, yet before I would knot have known he was there.

I just got in from some coyote hunting early this morning and we called in four... I'll tell the story later but need some sleep. Don't know if I can but I have a long work day ahead and need rest.

I bet all I dream of is seeing 4 coyotes coming in with their eyes shining like headlights... LOL

Now to try to settle down...
wink.gif

$bob$ (Confirmed night hunter)

Originally Posted By: BAYSTATE YOTEReaper,with your skills and training I would guess you would see a big differance using both tools,I love the PVS-14 with the IR for target ID and the shot,I mount it on the back of my day scope,

how do you have it mounted?

Originally Posted By: the impactzonereaper4
I started predator hunting 35 some on years ago with a car battery and Q-Beam, then went to the low end NV gear and then new led lights, then went thermal for locating, then realized I was spotting game farther than I could shoot with the light source, then went thermal for locating and NV gen3 to ID and shoot and have never looked back and take much more coyotes and predators than before, if it hangs up at 2-400 yards its not that big of a deal anymore, yet before I would knot have known he was there.

Not mention being able to find a dead coyote laying in 18" high grass, with conventional night vision is a bear, with thermal its a snap!

I can imagine that it really helps in locating. I used thermals on fort hood to watch them come in while doing exercises out in the field. I know thermals are amazing tools for that just didn't know if they helped kill that much more than red lights. I haven't seemed to "burned" or spooked too many with that

Here's my take on it. I don't know what the underbrush is like where you live but here in brushy north Florida hunting coyotes, or hogs at night is an exercise in frustration without a thermal.

You simply can't find them in the brush without a thermal and unles they step out on a road you'll almost never see them before they're on top of you.

I just had a proof of that last night and have seen it time and again.

Back