Alright AR guys, 16" or 20"?

If you are going with the stock iron sights (as I read your post), I would go with the 20" just to have the sight radius.
I have a 16" bull barrel with a scope and a Colt H-bar match with the Iron (A2) sights and a sling.

I also have a 14.5" CAR (with a flash diffuser) and iron sights and there is an accuracy difference to the point that I installed a reflex red-dot that co-exists with the iron sights just to help out my sight picture.

I don't notice any difference in the weight between the 16 and 20" if I remove the scope from the 16"

The best advise I have seen in this thread is get you a set of really good electronic ears! I have used them for years and they are great.

16 or 20 don't really a difference to me except less vel and louder on the 16 side.

OneInTheBoiler, you just expressed your opinion on what works best for you, nothing more. I can respect that. I fully realize that what I use may not fit into someone elses idea of an ideal weapon. Heck, it's what makes the world go around. Thank goodness that we're all different people with different ideas.

OldTurtle, I should have added that I use a scope on all of my rifles. It allows me better bullet placement. My 20" AR is an HBAR, the 16" is a LW, or pencil barrel. There is a BIG difference in weight between my two rifles. Either way, we both have ARs that we like. MI VHNTR

You asked a question I have thought about myself, I have a 20" bull, for a 2nd upper I would probibly go no further than the Delton web site and buy a 16" A2 upper with a light barrel. They are light, fit into a small space and the iron sights are fast. Yes with the irons shot placement is not as exact but you already have the varmint upper.

Back