Alabama ROLL CALL for coyotes, please check in and say HI !!

just checking in to say hello and to see what is going on out there in yote land?
I may have a hunt lined up this coming weekend up in Winston County, will know more toward the end of this week.

Anybody going out and seeing anything (?) , although I know its pretty hot out there during the day.
Let me hear from you .
Thanks,
John

DRT,
I didnt get to go as the gent I was going withs daughter had a church retreat that Saturday, she wants to go out wth us when we do go, so we have rescheduled to try it again sometime soon.
Hows it going with you? Doing anything to cull the yote population
smile.gif
?
John

Mr. McGowan,
I know how it is. Hard to get everybody lined up at the same time. None of my regular hunting buddies want to go because of the heat. I think they're right, I've been a couple evenings this week with no luck. Just about burned up. Gonna try Saturday morning for a couple hours. Looking forward to cool weather.
DRT

Hey fellas,

I haven't been hunting recently but have been doing a good bit of scouting and acquiring new land permission. One good thing about being a night shift police officer is I've been able to ride the boundaries of some of the places I have permission to hunt and I'm pleased with what I've seen. They love to move at night and I've seen several good looking yotes and several smaller ones. Probably this years pups. During the day I get out and occasionally walk some of the properties and have seen lots of sign. I've also noticed a lot of fox activity. Even managed to see a few red fox. And I've heard that if you have fox you have coyotes. Couple of other places I got permission have several rocky outcrops and the landowners reported seeing a few bobcats so I'm really looking forward to getting after em soon.

I haven't forgot about you John. Just been real busy. Definitely have to get together soon.

Good luck guys,
Happy hunting.

Hey guys. New predator hunter in the oxford area here. Glad to see a few more Bama hunters on the board. Been on the board a while and predator hunting here and there with limited success. Good luck to y'all

Welcome aboard the 'Bama thread David!!
Tell us how you get it done up there in Oxford?...Its always nice to know there are folks trying to hunt the hunter. Have you seen a good number of yotes in your area? How do you go about hunting them and what do you use to call with and shoot them with?
Fill us in when you can.
Thanks,
John

Glad to see the guys from bama hunting.....I went this morning and called 2 in 3 stands....no shots....hard to film and shoot! Lol but went to Arkansas last weekend and we called 17 in 3 days....boy you talking about fun!

I'm still really bad at the predator hunting. Killed a couple while deer hunting and only called in two (shot one). Having issues with decent hunting land. Plenty of sign that they are in the area, but I can't see more than 50 yards so it is tough getting them.

I use a foxpro and a few custom calls that I've gotten from Rudy here on the board. Both of the called in yotes were with hand calls. I'm ready to get back in the woods and mix some things up.

I don't want open fields, just places without so much terrain and brush. I would like to think that I'm calling them in but they are busting me before I can see them. And maybe if I can see a bit further I would at least know they are there. The other possibility is that I am not calling in anything where I know there are coyotes and cats.

Hey everybody! Haven't been on in a while. About to start gettin' after them here pretty soon. Just waiting to cut some more of the corn down. Next will be the cotton and then should be good to go. Hope everyone is doing well and having some good luck. Looking forward to a great 2013-14 season!
thumbup.gif
thumbup.gif

KiYi Im a night shift po po and live in the st. Clair are as well. Strange coincidence. How are you getting your landowner permission. I've tried craigslist with no results.

Hey Jimbo,

Welcome aboard. What dept. you work for?

I've really been lucky as far as getting places to hunt. My dad is a retired game warden so I've used a lot of the connections he made over the years to get places to hunt. Plus it seems so many people hate coyotes so usually just the mention of them is all it takes. Other places I really just stumbled upon and got lucky. But I've managed to get several and I'm pretty excited to get after em this year.

Welcome to the thread jimbo25. Hows it going? Have you been able to go out and see any or call any lately?

YIPPPEEEE!!!! Im headed down to Greene Co this weekend
( FINALLY get to go somewhere! )and sure plan on trying to call SOMETHING and to sight my new toy in...its a Rem 7400 semi auto in 243 with a new Nikon Prostaff 3x9x40. I am sitting on READY!!!
smile.gif
Come on Saturday!!!

I popped one Sunday down in Pickens County around 4:00PM. Had called in several others and this is the first time ever that I've had them answer me back by howling and barking at me. We were in a platform stand about 10 ft from the edge of a green field and I had my mojo critter and caller upwind of me and out in the field about 80 ft. The real weird thing is that they started howling and barking at my yote pup in distress call. Anyone got any comments on why that would be or have ever had this happen to you?

When I hit the pup distress, it was almost to me as if they were all being challenged and several different groups came alive in the woods all around the field. I could tell the one barking to my right kept getting closer and closer, so he ended up trotting nearly right under where I was in the stand and once I actually saw him I followed him in my scope . He stopped directly in front of me at 35 steps once he saw the mojo twitching out in the field. Now that was pretty cool! He was just about to go barreling out to the mojo when I let him have it with my rem model 7400 243 that I had just bought used a few days earlier and had sighted in the day before. I'd say thats a good way to break that gun in huh? LOL
Anyhoo...he was a young this year's male that weighed less than 20 lbs and was pure ugly looking.

I have an invite to go up to Winston Co this Saturday to do some yote calling/hunting so cross your fingers for me that we will see something.
Later,...
John

Last edited:
I've been calling and nothing going on. Then I switch to pup distress and have a pack fire up. Pup distress has a way of really pissing them off. I've heard a few people say that the noisier packs don't come in as much. Congrats.

Back