adjusting trigger on Ruger MK2 Model 77

Mapes

i have a Ruger Model 77 Mark 2 in .243 WIN.
Only one issue. When i go to pull the trigger, i literally need to pull thetrigger.No crisp squeeze, just basically yank it back and brace myself to not flinch.
Is there anyway to adjust the trigger to about 2.5-3 pounds?

A gunsmith can tune it up. What parts of MI you from? If your close I can do it for you. It just needs a little rubbin in the right spots. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif RR

Last edited:
Quote:
Ruger mk 2 triggers are non adjustable.You'l probably have to get aftermarket trigger. rifle basic or timney.

I have two Ruger M77 Mark II's. Both have 2.5 pound or less triggers and they are both factory. I have a pretty good idea by looking at it how the spring could be modified to lighten the pull, but don't know for sure how to do it. One of mine was done professionally by a gunsmith, the other was that way when I got it.

Agreed they are not "adjustable" but they can be made lighter and have the creep taken out by other means than adjustment.

Last edited:
im in Holland. I hate the stupid trigger, i was told its set at like 7 or 8 pounds?god its so hard to pull though. Not hard to pull, just not crisp easy squeeze.When i flinch from pulling the trigger,its too much.
I dont want to mess with it myself, knowing that something bad WILL happen.

under 100 would be EXCELLENT! like, 99 dollars under and id be all set. But i bet it would make up for a whole lotta flinches leading to misses...

It can be done but its not really a do it yourself project. Either get it done by someone who knows what they are doing or buy an aftermarket.

Mapes I'm about 2 1/2 hrs south of you and although I would be cheaper than $100 the fuel here and back would make it a break even. There is got to be a smith close that could use your business. RR

I wish people wouldnt post things like this on the internet even with their little diclamer. If you follow those directions to a tee you might be ok but get a couple of thousandths too much off and you will have a rifle that may accidentally discharge. No one should be filing grinding or otherwise messing with a trigger unless you have the tools and knowledge to do it right. The 100 dollars is not worth an accidental discharge that could seriously injure or kill someone.

Quote:
Go here and read this. This will get you a usable trigger, but there are several aftermarket triggers available for under a hundred bucks. Check out Midway and Brownells.

http://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=21068

The instructions are right on and it really is easy to yourself. If it doesn't come out like you want, you can still go aftermarket for under a hundred. As for bad thing's on the internet hurting people? Common sense goes a long ways and if it's not something you feel comfortable with don't do it. I'll leave that at that....

Being an Alaskan I,m pretty much a fan of self determination ....... Someone wants to adjust their trigger , go ahead on er .......... I have adjusted quite a few triggers on M77 mkII rifles ,but it is . Just the simplest thing to install a Spec Teck , Timney , Moyers , ect trigger ... Get one ... It is easy to change springs in a Ruger trigger , but the spring serves more than one function ... Get too light a spring and the sear won,t rise up fast enough with enough force to engage the cocking piece .......... So a replacement trigger is a great idea ...........,,. Most all gunsmithing is just mechanic or machinist work ....... They are actually veru simple peices of equipment to work on ... But most people are scared to ........................

It took all of a couple minutes to do my new MKII 77. Just had to cut about two coils off the spring, stretch it slightly and it was the most crispest breaking trigger I ever did see on a ruger, better than my rifle basix m77 trigger on my 77/22.
Brownells offers a reduced power spring that fits perfect also, it needs about 1 turn of the coil removed to be just right. You can either get just the spring or a little tune up kit, that comes with a stronger firing pin spring for faster primer strike I guess.

question, would it be safe to cut 1 coil off of the spring myself, or would i still have to worry about it firing when i dont want it too?i just dont have the money to get it done, and if i could safely do it to crisp it up a bit i would like to.

Save yourself the possible grief and shell the lousy $75 for a Timney. I got one on my MK II 77 and love it. Plus you can adjust the Timney a couple of lbs. up or down. Minor fitting was necessary to install mine. Did I say I luv the d@mn thing?
Good luck and God bless!

D.

To just take 1 twist out of the spring , and give it a little stretch with 2 pair of pliers ,is simple as falling off a log ..... ,. If you want an inexpensive experiment , take the spring from a ball point pen. Cut it to length and reinstall the trigger and try it .. .. Just .don,t go takeing a stone of file to the engagement surfaces unless you are very patient and cautious .. ... Nothing ventured , nothing gained ..

Back