Adjustable Gas Block Suppressed

chrs_28

I keep hearing adjutable gas blocks are the way to go if a guy is to go suppressed. What you guys think? 223 16 barrel using hand loads. I also been hearing the Syrac is top notch.

I use them on all my AR's. I also make my own and just tune them to the load I'm using in that specific rifle. Most ARs are over gassed to begin with.

Actually piston driven is the way to go!

Some rifles cycle fine and others don't do as well. Rifle length gas systems are better than carbine.

If you don't have a large shooting regiment with your ARs you may be fine so try it first before you start putting money out. If you shoot a lot you might want to consider a adjustable gas block, gas buster charging handle, heavier buffer and spring.

There are several adj gas blocks on the market, are they all pretty much the same? I'm putting it on my RR. There is significant blowback, I'm also considering a different charging handle. I've also come across a company that makes a forward assist button that will bleed some gas off, but I don't hear or see much about them.

Just depends how they attach to the barrel from the ones I've used. I've only used the BTE adjustable. But I've used different styles of the regular gas blocks. You should look into a side charging upper if this is suppressed shooting. It eliminates what you are having with blowback. I use new frontier armory side charging uppers. But there are others.

I would try the gun suppressed before changing the gas block. I have a 223, 243 wssm and 25 wssm suppressed. Factory Hornady 55 gr Vmax in my 223 cycle fine, normal handload 100 gr NBTs in the 25 wssm cycle fine, but hot loads 55 gr NBTs in my 243 wssm was very over gassed and I did change mine out to a Syrac adjustable. My 2 cents.....

The gun cycles fine suppressed, but noticeable blowback in face. Should a person try to decrease the extra pressure from a suppressor if the gun is cycling without problems? Is there noticeable wear and tear on the gun when using a suppressor to add a adj gas block or do you leave it alone and just try and route the blowback away from face??

Originally Posted By: jwdakotaThere are several adj gas blocks on the market, are they all pretty much the same? I'm putting it on my RR. There is significant blowback, I'm also considering a different charging handle. I've also come across a company that makes a forward assist button that will bleed some gas off, but I don't hear or see much about them.

I have a dpms 243, I'm shooting 58gr vmax hand loads out of. It had a lot of blow back when I went suppressed! I put on a SLR rifle works adjustable gas block (a+ customer service), and I removed the forward assist and put one of the forward assists things with the hole to divert gas away. All problems solved after that.

I also shoot a 223 Wylde ar and it came with a adjustable gas block. I did adjust the gas down after I put the suppressor on it and it was noticeable smoother and quitter.

This is a newbie thing when it comes to suppressors and most people know about it already. However I didn't so I'm going to go ahead and say that most new surpressosor are going to smoke a good bit through the first 10 or so rounds because of the oil and crap in them coming from the factory. This leads to what seems like blow back sometimes if mounted on a ar.

If I had to guess, I've put a couple hundred rounds through my suppressor. I'm doing more hunting with it now and paying more attention which is probably why I'm noticing it more. When I was blasting away at dirt piles and aluminum cans(which I still have fun with) I wasn't paying that close of attention.

Originally Posted By: jca57jdI also shoot a 223 Wylde ar and it came with a adjustable gas block. I did adjust the gas down after I put the suppressor on it and it was noticeable smoother and quitter.

If it will make the gun quieter than i will definitely get one

[/quote]I removed the forward assist and put one of the forward assists things with the hole to divert gas away. [/quote]

Maybe a link to the forward assist things with the hole to divert gas away?

Trying to envision what you are referring to and drawing a blank.

Thanks.

Just wrote an article on mitigating excessive gas caused by suppressor use. You can view it here. There is also a way you can put some RTV silicone in the gap between the charging handle and the upper. I made a video you can view it here.

Good write up and video sendit. I am looking for something that will work without alot of thought or maintenance. Could I keep my factory gas block and get a heavy buffer and gas buster charging handle and be alright?

Unless you are doing extremely high rounds I would just get a Syrac or an SLR adjustable gas block. It will make a huge difference and you will have trouble wearing them out.

If you are doing high rounds get the Govnah.

The other stuff you mention helps, but the AGB makes the most difference by far.

Sendit

Back