A few skunk questions.

justin10mm-I'm definately gonna wear some cloths that I don't mind gettin rid of once I decide to catch a skunk.I've only shot a few that did'nt spray and I've killed a bunch of them in the past.I shot one with a .410 using #6 shot from about 10 feet away and it never sprayed.I also shot one with a .223 one time and it never sprayed either.Neither one would have been worth skinnin though.They were pretty torn up.

The Bricklayer-I have a Hava Hart trap but I'm not sure what a Kill Pole is.And whats the garden hose used for?

Another question that I want to know is if I should go ahead and catch a skunk now or should I wait until Winter before I try this?Because the guy thats gonna pay me to skin a skunk for him does'nt need it right away so I could wait for a while but I kinda want to get this over with.
grin.gif

I would say practice A LOT during the summer months and catch as many skunk as you can. Try every single method mentioned in this thread. Video tape every single try and post each one up here so we can laugh our A$$e$ off. 1 of a few things will happen:
1. you will become immune to skunk smell
2. die from sniffing to much skunk smell
3. or become the best [beeep] skunk killer EVER!!!

with all that being said, I actually talked to a guy the other day (month or so). He said the drowning method is the only sure fire way to not have them spray.

GOOD LUCK

Loop Wing-I might have to do that.Skunk smell does'nt bother me too much but I don't like it when it gets on me.I've only been sprayed once before and it was'nt really a direct hit but it was still pretty bad.I don't like the smell of it or nothin like that but I know some people that actually get sick to their stomach if they smell a skunk.I have'nt ever had that happen but I want to avoid gettin sprayed if I can.I'm thinkin that I'll try drowning one before I try any other way of dispatching any skunks that I catch because I heard its a good way to kill them without having them spray from quite a few people.

justin10mm-That actually might be a really good idea.I'll probably try that to be totally honest.lol

I just caught one last night. He dug a hole under our feed shed. So I set a 110 conibear at the hole and there he was. Hmmm, I would need that $75 up front, they do not smell nice.

Last edited:
My cage traps are modified in that each side hase a two inch square cut in the webbing, once I have caged the pungent litle critter I take a hose or a pump up spray bottle and from a distance I start to mist said critter slowly approaching him, he will be so unhappy about getting wet he will ball up in the corner of the cage. Then comes the kill pole wich is merely a syringe on a stick (can be bought online or directions for home made ones also found online) filled with acetone (from your local paint store). Stick the pole through the cage and press it against the skunks's chest, five to six minutes later dead skunk,no spray. If at any time during this process he starts stomping his front feet slowly back away (and by slowly I mean as fast as possible). This is how I do it but I would just love video of you trying to drown or shoot then skin a skunk. Might be willing to pay $50-$75.

justin10mm-I've heard they don't spray if you catch them in a conibear trap.Conibear traps are illegal to use in Oklahoma the last I heard so thats one that I won't get to try.I might actually ask for the money up front or at least half of it.lol

The Bricklayer-Thats a good idea.I think I might be able to figure out how to make a kill pole.I was'nt sure what acetone was or where I could find it but I think I could get that pretty easily if I'm smart enough to build a kill pole first.If they don't cost very much I might buy one but I don't think I'll use it very much is the only thing keepin me from buyin one.I'll see what I can do about makin a video of my skunk encounter and all that good stuff.Thanks for all of the helpful info ya'll.
thumbup1.gif

Last edited:
peoples right use a blanket somthing that light cant go through to cover the cage trap to move the skunk... a a pole with a syringe with 10cc of actone in the lungs,, if done right it wont spray a bit...if it does spray a little take dawn dish washing liquid,proxicide,and baking soda and mix together and wash the spryed area

Originally Posted By: OKRattlerI've heard they don't spray if you catch them in a conibear trap.

I wish you had told him that. He wasn't dead, so I had to use the 10mm.

Ive killed lots of skunks using the injection method and acetone. They just go to sleep and they never spray. When skinning them just don't go deep around the anus and be careful stripping the tail.I don't mind at all when I catch a skunk and I skin every one I catch.

Originally Posted By: Natureboy. They need their lungs to spray, if you deflate the lungs they can't do it.

Really ??

That's a new one by me.

All I know is, the more I've been sprayed, it isn't as bad as the previous time. Of course, as I get older, my memory isn't as sharp as it used to be. At first, I was thinking, $75 aint enough. But then again, I could always use another $75.....However you decide to do it, please make a video, because, well...you know.....we would do it for you
smile.gif
And don't ever, EVER, have a Bullmastiff near you with a skunk...just sayin...and the only skunk I've shot that couldn't spray me was shot outside my bedroom window when it was 12 degrees outside. I went out the next morning and it was a skunk popsickle...don't know how you would skin it though. Have fun, and we will be waiting...
smile.gif

Back