A Dirty Little 5 Letter word all Predator Hunters Hate - Video

the mange victoms i come across r usally in densly populated yote ranges, and around the dairy(dead cows)dumping spots. from reading the posts doesn't seem 2 have any thing 2 do w/ it. just my exp.

It has been my experience, the mangey ones come into the call first & the fastest. In the past 2 years I have killed 33 coyotes and only 4 of them had decent fur.

I am NOT going to move them from where they fall, as yes humans can get a form of the mange. I am not going to press my luck.

tt2.gif

Last edited:
Quote:Yes songdog you are correct, reduce the numbers in an infected area will slow down the spread of it but at the same time some of the healthy ones need to be left unless you don't want any coyotes at all..
Come on TA, you know enough about coyotes to know that this statement is bunk! Do you honestly think that you're good enough to call and kill a high enough percentage of coyotes in an area to the point of not having any at all? And surely you know enough about coyotes to know that trancient coyotes will fill the void in a short period of time. Weather you kill the coyote or mange kills the coyote, if the area can support coyotes, they will be back!

Sorry boys, but when I kill a mangy dog I'm not touching it. No how, no way. I don't care what the studies say, I'm not touching anything that looks that nasty. On top of that it might be a good idea "in theory" to bury or burn the infected coyote, but seriously who has time for that? Besides, the ground is frozen solid around these parts so digging a hole isn't going to happen, and at -20 I'm not playing Jerimiah Johnson and building a fire. Just not gonna happen. One other thought...So you toss said infected coyote in the back of your pick up and haul it off to where ever you are going to dispose of it. Then you head home and the family dog jumps in the back of the pick up because it smells the coyote and blood. Now all those little nasty parasites have a new body to host them. Would'a never happened if you just let that nasty yote lay. To me, touching and/or transporting coyotes with mange is not a very good idea. Leave the problem where you found it.

All that I have read points to it being extremely unlikely to overhunt the coyote. They will repopulate quickly. I've seen no statistics that lead me to believe otherwise. Unless you dispose of them where they lay I feel moving them would spread it more. Such a small chance of any benefit and a larger detriment tells me to leave them lay. Just my opinion.

By the always/usually carrying theory, shooting clean or mangy dogs is good. Fewer Coyotes = More to eat = = healthier Coyotes = = = stronger immune systems = = = = less effect by mange.

It could be certain strains of mange overpower even healthy immune systems, I don't know.

Also, they told me that humans can get invaded, but they can't live on our blood, so they die quickly. But it can still result in itching and rashes.

I am still confused about which type of mange is affecting the coyotes, if it is in fact Demodex (demodectic mange),the carcasses should not pose a contagious health risk (like Tn said, it is a function of the immune system, many healthy animals can harbor the mite as part of the normal flora of the skin but not show signs or be contagious. I see this often in my veterinary practices here in NM). Sarcoptic and psoroptic mange are different beasts and contagious to all concerned. It takes a skin scrape examined under a microscope or a skin biopsy to diagnose. I have diagnosed demodectic mange in elk (not contagious) but havn't had the guts to skin scrape a mangey coyote. Anyone??

I'm sorry zia, but you have been posting entirely to much since becoming a registered user on PM. Please try to control yourself.
smile.gif

I'm actually confused also. I thought it was the Sarcoptic kind that was wiping out the coyotes in some of the areas I hunt. But now I really don't know. I've also heard that a coyote cannot recover from mange, but others say they can and yet others say they have killed coyotes that show signs of growing back hair, healing sores, etc.

I could send you a nice fresh slab off of the next mangy coyote I kill for some certified veterinary examinations. I'll need your address please.
whistle.gif

If you were in an area with trees could you just hang the coyotes out of reach of the others. That way all you would need to carry are some pieses of line to hang them.

zia, I found this info a little bit ago. Usually when you search you will find a LOT of animal rights funding crap. Anyway, what kind of "scrape" do you need for your tests?? I normally dont like getting that close to them, but hey if the pay is right, I might be talked into it. LOL

To give some idea of how bad it is, Thursday morning we had -20 with windchill. I went calling late afternoon yesterday and called one in. This thing did everything a coyote is NOT supposed to do. I had my pickup parked on the road behind some tall weeds and walked in 1/4 mile to call. This coyote comes onto the alfalfa field about 100 yards downwind of my pickup and proceeds to circle about 200 yards downwind of me and the call. I turn the call back on and it comes straight in. It is running on 3 legs like the other had frostbite or something. I shot it at 50 yards.

Back