A different type of hunting

JTPinTX

Custom Call Maker
I enjoy the threads from Dave and others where they take us along on their trips, and show us their hobbies other than predator hunting. Taking inspiration from that I am going to show you guys one of my hobbies. My pictures won't be the quality of Dave's and other guys here but I'll slog through it and maybe they will be ok.

I have been a HAM (amateur radio) operator since 2012. My wife is the administrator of our local hospital and she needed an operator for emergency communications. The hospital paid for me to take the amateur radio Technician class and get my Tech license for VHF/UHF comms. Being a Tech was OK, but really I wanted to play on HF and "talk around the world." So I kept studying and took my General, and then Extra. I passed all three licenses in about 8 months. I started with HF just talking on my radio at home and that was pretty much it for quite a few years except for being active in the local club with Emergency Comms and such.

Two years ago I discovered the Parks on the Air program. In POTA, you have "activators" who go out to recognized entities in the POTA system and "activate" the park by getting on the air and making contacts with other HAMS. Most of these contacts will be with "hunters" who are looking for all the various parks and trying to add them to their logs. Some contacts are also made that are "Park to Park" contacts where two different activators in two different parks talk to each other. For the first year I was a hunter, chasing parks from my radio at home.

Last summer I made the crossover into being an activator. Now I go to parks with a portable HF radio setup (normally under battery power), and make contacts from the field. My wife started going with me and taking my logs for me. She enjoyed it enough she finally got over her fear of taking the tests last year and got her Tech and General licenses. She is an activator now too. She completed her first HF contacts and first park activations this last weekend.

Sometimes we do activations as part of our camping trips where we are set up in our RV. Other times we just load the pickup with our gear and go take a drive. We might just do one stop after work. Other times we have done a "rove" activating multiple parks and locations in a single day. We love seeing new places and POTA is a great excuse to get out and see them.

We have different ways we set up. If the weather is nice we will put up a table outside. If the weather or bugs are bad on a quick activation we may activate from inside the truck. I can run my radio off the truck battery or a carry along LifePO. The radio and tuner are in a welded up carrier I made myself from plastic at work. It holds radio and antenna tuner in a very secure and adaptable setup. I have different antennas I use depending on the situation. Maybe a Wolf River Coil on a tripod, or a 31' end fed wire on a 32' telescoping fiberglass mast that goes in a socket on my kayak racks. It just varies from day to day.

A neat hobby though that lets us see lots of neat places that we would not otherwise go to see.

My wife with her new General "ticket."

HDpMX30l.jpg

The carrier for my radio/tuner is cut with different angles so it can be used various ways. Inside the truck, flat on a table, angled up on the ground, whatever. Components are not bolted in, slip fit in brackets, all the wires tucked in neatly. QD hookup for power and antenna.

MwgYmaJh.jpg

Here we have radio/tuner, battery, paper logs, UTC clock, refreshments.

DbatqH3h.jpg

We might set up on a table like this, antenna on the truck.

GKIhPBNh.jpg

Or under the shade of the camper, antenna attached to it.

NgznKYih.jpg

This is with the Wolf River Coil antenna, and us set up under the pavilion at Hackberry Flats WMA. Many of the parks are not actually parks at all, but small WMA's, historic sites, museums, trails, all kinds of things. Lots of various sites to be activated.

U2IzfB2h.jpg

This is what a "QSO map" of our contacts can look like during an activation. Each one of those pins is the location of someone we made contact with from that park. When propagation is good and the bands are open it can get really busy. Especially if you are in a fairly rare park a lot of people want. Big pileups can happen and a good operator can make a contact every 45 seconds or so.

0ObSQBDh.jpg

Last edited:
Here we are set up in the parking lot of the Museum of the Western Prairie. Only a handful of activations have been done from this site.

rJNNF9sh.jpg

At a pull off area in the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge.

gqQd2eRh.jpg

This was a "2-fer" which means activating two parks from one spot. Pretty cool place, and off the beaten path a bit.

JiT2Sl9h.jpg

We took a picture here but went 1/2 mile back to the visitor center parking lot to activate. This is the actual battlefield site (down there in those trees) and considered sacred ground. Because of the sensitive nature that is the way the park service people want it treated. I don't know the significance of the stones placed on top of the monument. You can park here and walk a loop down through the actual battlefield along the creek.

lxl28kGh.jpg

One of my favorite images. I paused my activation during a huge pileup at a fairly rare 2-fer because it was so pretty. I told everyone to hold on just a minute while I jumped out of the pickup and snapped this pic with my cell phone. This place is waaaaay out in the sticks. Doc Hollis Lake and Sandy Sanders WMA. I have 425 contacts (x2) at this location, working on getting my "Kilo" at these two which is 1000 contacts from a park. This spot is about 50 miles from my house. I think only 2 or 3 people besides me have activated it.

NpMOT6Vh.jpg

BroncoGlen brought a HAM radio to elk camp one year. We strung a wire antenna between some trees. Some random guy he was talking to offered to do a relay phone call to his wife.
He also used a laptop and some program to text his wife even though we had no cell signal.
Way to high-tech for this old fart.
I told him I thought the purpose of being in the middle of no where was to disconnect from technology and society.

Neat to hear about this! We travel in an RV quite a bit and never realized this was going on.

I do my "Public Service" as a trained Storm Spotter for the local NWS and am fairly active in our local club. I have a weather station at home and broadcast conditions to the NWS as well as our local RACES when it is needed.

K5EZC

Hildago it is something I really enjoy. You should check out the Parks on the Air program. This is a link to the main website.

https://parksontheair.com/

It has all kinds of help, how to get started documents, things like that. There is another page called POTAapp that has a spot page that is constantly updating. It will tell you who is on the air at what parks, what frequencies at any given time. It takes 10 contacts in a UTC day to make an "activation". You can set up on a frequency and call CQ to do that, or you can hunt and get other parks that are on the air. Either way.

Looks like you are a technician. It is possible to do some POTA as a tech, but most of the activations are going to be going on down in the HF bands. As a Tech you have access on 10m and 6m, those could get you some distance when the bands are open, but conditions have to be right. POTA would be a good excuse to upgrade that license and buy some new radio gear, lol. Not to mention being HF portable/active is good for ARES/RACES/EmComm as well.

Ever since I got my license my wife has always listened to the radio as I operate. She was always very intimidated by the test though. She is a good smart business person, but not very technical. When I first start doing activations she went with me and kept my logs. She is competitive and always wanting a few more contacts, or whatever. After a few activations she put the study app on her phone. As we would drive to parks to do activations she would study and ask questions. After a couple months she took the Tech test at our local club. We usually do a test session once a month. She passed her Tech and started studying general. A couple months later passed it.

I am in Wellington, just a couple of HAMs here. Our local club is in Childress. I think we are up to about 20 members, maybe a few more. There are some guys from Quanah in the club and several other small towns around. There is a pretty good club over in Altus Ok that we work well with too. Several folks are members of both clubs. Several of those guys are big into weather spotting, RACES, emergency comms, winlink, all that kind of stuff. I do my part for it but am really much more of a voice and HF kind of guy.

AF5KU
Jeff

Jeff, the General is definitely in the works as soon as I have time to study a bit more. It's obviously not much more involved than the Technician was.

The main reason I got into the weather stuff is because I have been a private pilot since 1972, and when I was studying for that license I found that I really enjoyed weather research and have been studying climate and meteorology as a hobby for over 50 years now, so it just seemed appropriate that I get involved with the local NWS as a spotter.

One reason I got involved in HAM radio is that when I was a youngster, my Dad was big into CB radio. Not the CB we have now .... but the real CB as it was intended. Everyone used call signs and there was no crap slinging or vulgarity involved and the FCC actually enforced the rules (to a point). I gained a huge amount of experience about the way things should be done on the air, and what not to do. It's a shame that CB has gone the way it has.

When I get a chance I'll check into POTA. Sounds like a lot of fun.

Amateur is for sure a part of the weather spotting up here. There are 2 different sets of linked repeaters that the spotters use. One is the SWIRA net in SW OK, and the other is the LIRA net more over around the Lawton area. During bad weather events they link multiple long range repeaters that are high up on mountains giving very wide VHF/UHF coverage. Most of the camping we do is in SW OK and I always take a good dual band radio with us. Come in pretty handy to listen directly to the chatter from storm spotters in the area without having to go to secondary news sources.

Even though I am in TX we are only 15 mile from OK. At the house I have a Kenwood TM V-71A dual band with high DB antenna on it, up about 40'. I can get into several of the repeaters over in the edge of OK, linked into those spotting nets. Elk City, Granite, Altus, Quanah, Childress, I can hit all of those from the house. Comes in handy. One time my wife, daughter, and mother in law went to the lake early and I was still at home working. A bad storm blew up, tornado, big hail, etc. They were about 60 miles from me and the storm was very close to them (tornado passed by 6-7 mile from them). I was listening to spotters following the storm and relaying that info directly to my wife so she knew what to do. A radio and some knowledge sure came in handy that day.

Last summer on one of my activations I was contacted by a pilot flying at 30,000'. I thought that was pretty cool. 2nd time I have contacted a pilot in the air.

There are some real jerks in HAM radio too. I guess every hobby has a few. I have seen some pretty malicious interference with activations at times. Usually it has to do with a group of guys who have a net or always rag chew on a certain frequency at the same time, and feel like they "own" that particular time/freq. Piss them off and they will follow you all over the bands, acting like a spoiled kid.

Dave, looks like you are a general class amateur. As much as you are out travelling and visiting places POTA might be something pretty cool for you. IDK, as much as you hike you might be more of a Summits on the Air kind of guy. Anyways, a little lightweight Elecraft, telescoping fiberglass pole, and a wire antenna. A small battery and go QRP. It would not take much. You probably already have too many hobbies though.

I know you would have thought this last place was cool. Me and the wife added 2 new parks to our list this past weekend. K-0901 Alibates Flint Quarries Nation Monument, which happens to be inside K-0688 Lake Meredith National Recreation Area. It is down in a hole and propagation was kind of up and down, but we still logged 70 contacts (each) in an hour and a half. Not bad at all.

Mammoth hunters and various Indian tribes travelled long distances to mine the flint at Alibates. It is a very high quality flint and was traded all over the US. They dug numerous small quarries 10'-12' in diameter and 5'-6' deep mining the flint.

vQ2UXyWh.jpg

wlpLXA7h.jpg

Nearly forgot about this one. While we were at the family reunion in AR, I slipped away for a little bit and did a quick activation. It was a 3-fer, and just 30 miles from the "compound" so I could not resist a quick morning trip over to play radio.

I activated from the trailhead of K-8323 Ozark Highlands Scenic Byway State Trail. The trailhead is located in K-1092 Lake Fort Smith State Park, which is also in K-4425 Ozark St Francis National Forest. That whole area is just beautiful. It is a great park with modern infrastructure. I was told by the relatives if you want to camp there you need to be booking well in advance.

Sorry for not getting better pics, but I was on a pretty tight schedule that morning.

IDK if I posted it earlier but my call is AF5KU and my wife is KI5WRE

KUKWtAsh.jpg

JTP, yes I'm a general license. Hoping to find time to study for extra this year. And I get around to some national parks for sure! Was on the North Rim of the GC a couple days ago. Have been to three other national parks in the last two months. I get to some high points as well.

I do have too many hobbies already.
laugh.gif
. This is cool though!

- DAA

Oh, and I knew about that obsidian! Like you say, it's been found ALL OVER, proving trade routes going back literally thousands of years.

- DAA

It is not just National Parks that count. That is NPOTA, a slightly different thing. The POTA program is full of lots of state and local entities as well. Close to 10,000 of them in the US. And now they are working hard to expand the system overseas. There are getting to be quite a few activators in other countries too. Lots in Canada.

For me, Extra was quite a bit harder than General. But I am not an electronics/electrical guy. Just an old wrench turner. But I can memorize good so I just did that. Drove some of the old HAMS in our club crazy. But I passed the test pretty easy.

Honestly though it does not take that much to do an activation if you are there already. I can set my radio and antenna up or take it down in abut 5 minutes. If you have cell service you can spot yourself on the POTA spot page and as long as your signal is getting out you will be getting hammered with calls in just a few minutes. All it takes is 10 verified contacts for an activation. I log on paper, then later type it into HAMRs (free) on my laptop and upload. Really it is all pretty simple.

You can even "activate" without calling CQ. You can use the spot page and hunt parks, and complete and activation with park to park contacts. That takes more time though.

Here is a link to the interactive POTA map. Sometimes it takes a few seconds to load, but as you scroll around and zoom in it will load the parks in that area. Then you can click on the yellow dots and it will give you more info. Where it is, maps, how many activations and by who, all kinds of things.

https://pota.app/#/map

One of the things I like about doing POTA, I run my portable setup enough out in the field that I have no doubts about my abilities to get on the air and communicate if things were to go bad. My equipment and setups work, I have the bugs worked out, and am very comfortable doing it.

Do you get on HF much? It would be cool to get you in the log someday. Normally I activate on 20m or 40m.

Last edited:
I don't get on HF at all right now. Just running a mobile 70cm/2m. Had plans for a nice HF setup, money keeps getting diverted. I'll get there though!

- DAA

"Diversion of funds" happens to me a lot. To many hobbies, not enough time and money. It took me 3-4 years to get my portable HF setup going from the time I decided I wanted to do it.

As an update, here a while back we had to take our daughter down to central TX for a Water Conservation Ambassador camp. We dropped her off Friday and had to pick her up Sunday morning. So while she was at camp, the wife and I spent some time traveling to parks and activating. 5 new parks for us. Lake Brownwood SP, Muse WMA, Longhorn Caverns SP, Inks lake SP, and Colorado Bend SP. Nice trip where we got to see some cool new places.

This last weekend while we were waiting for new tile floors to set up, we ran over to a park in OK that had just been added into the system. We weren’t the first to activate there, someone else beat us to it, but we were the second and third HAMS to ever activate it.

But, a cool thing happened while we were there. I’m sure some of you guys either use, have used, or are familiar with CB radio. If you are then you know sometimes you can get some crazy skip and suddenly be talking to someone a really long way off.

Well CB is actually 11 meter frequency, and the HAM bands have a 10 meter freq that is very similar. We were scrolling through 10m, and here is this foreign sounding voice coming through very clear. Turns out it was a guy from a little west of Tokyo! We made contact with him, very nice fellow. For both of us it was our first contact to Japan. 6282 miles on a 100 watt radio. Very cool.

Looking across the lake at dusk, activating from Quartz Mountain SP in OK.

E19F49FD-FA67-4FF4-BDA0-12E58E3316E4.jpeg

Oh yeah. While in central TX got a really nice 8 point whitetail. 11am, bolting across 4 lanes of 75 mph traffic. Guess I’ll be putting a full replacement bumper on the GMC now.

C8100BB8-6DAB-49FB-95EE-4A05EC3CCB32.jpeg

Back