940nm Coyote Video

1lobo, here is a link on Amazon of the 940nm light I am using.

http://www.amazon.com/CMVision-Invisible...40nm+IR+198+LED

You can find the 850nm lights on Amazon and Ebay. They are easier to find and somewhat cheaper too.
I also have one of these, an 850nm with 140 LEDs. The 96 LED light is even cheaper.

http://www.amazon.com/Infrared-Illuminat...50nm+IR+140+LED

This is the 850nm light I have mounted on a tall 4x4 post.

I have heard of guys shooting coyotes under street lights (in the country of course). When I initially began baiting coyotes,
I was using a small 850nm IR light, 48 LEDs and let it run nightly. I first used 5 lights, but found that coyotes were sometimes
scared of them, so I cut it down to two lights and then eventually one. The light has it's own photocell (as do the larger units)
and will turn on at dust and off at dawn. If you can mount the light where you have AC power, that would be great, but you
can power it with a deep cycle battery too.

I had one small 48 LED IR light attached to a deep cycle battery and it would power the light for about two weeks before
needing a recharge. I used that setup when I first began shooting coyotes over bait with a Gen 1 scope.

Here is the small IR light I am referring to .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-LOCAL-48-LED-...=item4d28d51dfe

Trail camera IR is also a very good source of light for bait hunting. A trail camera or two set to video rather than photo,
will throw IR light for several seconds before turning off. I used to set my cameras to record the maximum amount of time,
generally 30 seconds, and reset as quickly as possible to begin recording again. That kept the area flooded with IR when
a coyote was at the bait site.

I first started with 5 of the small lights, wired together and operated via a remote controlled switch. The coyotes seemed
scared of this, but it sure does offer some good illumination. Each light can be rotated around and up and down to cover
a broader area.

This is an old video I took a few years back when I was using a Gen 1 scope. I have experimented a lot since
that time and now I use the home-made bullet camera unit instead. It sees so much better than the Gen 1 did.
But, there are all kinds of ways to bait site hunt, and even a Gen 1 with proper lighting can work very effectively.

Wow, nice setup and great work on the IR lighting.

I think you may have to "tone down" all that IR if you start using a GEN III NV scope!

Or count the whisker hairs before you shoot..
unsure.gif
Dave,that cabin set up is ultra cool!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Vic, I sent you a note in e-mail just now, and my shipping address.

I'm anxious to try the PVS-14, and once again, I'm very grateful for your generosity in the loan for a test. I think several other guys are anxious to hear the results as well.

Welcome, should be a great test with the 940nm LED's.

Originally Posted By: SkyPup I think you may have to "tone down" all that IR if you start using a GEN III NV scope!

LOL. Yep, no doubt I would have to. I'm sure Vic's Gen 3 will spoil me.

You know, even lesser scopes can be made to see well enough for the job at hand. When I first got the Gen 1 scope, right off the bat I realized it limitation. I began playing around with IR lights that I found on Ebay and got some of those small cheap ones. They wouldn't throw a beam very far, maybe 25 yards, but when mounted at the bait site, they provided quite a bit of illumination that I could easily see back in the cabin. Then I ran trail camera IR and suddenly I had all the IR I needed. I dropped 6 coyotes with the Gen 1, numerous fox and other critters. I have since taken 4 coyotes with the home-made unit.

I don't use that setup with the IR lights anymore. Once I put the home-made version with the bullet camera together, it was so good that I sold the Gen 1 scope. Now I use an IR illuminator mounted on my scope back at the cabin, and it illuminates all I need it to. I took a gray fox out in the field at 125 yards with it and it worked great.

I have the 940nm still mounted on the post about 23 yards from the actual bait itself. It gives me a quick look-see to determine what is on the bait without spooking a coyote or whatever. I can shoot by it too if I want. Of course, I let that coyote get away from me the other night, hoping for a better video with the 850 illuminator.

Back