85 grain 243

85 grain bullets have proven to work well in the .243, but I think that if I was going to count on them for deer, I would have to go with a Nosler partition or Barnes. It is a little extra insurance over a standard bullet, especially if you are not hunting in open country where hit animals can be easily followed.

Speer 85g BTSP is rated as a deer/antelope bullet, not a varmint bullet and they work very well wtih a hot load of IMR 4350 and win primer. Recently I found a load with a 85g Barnes tripple shock with 45.5g of R#19 with a win or CCI250 primer that shot 1/2" groups, bullet seated 0.050 off the lands@3400 fps. I shot a doe up the butt on a running away shot and the bullet broke the rear hip, traveled the length of the body, broke a front shoulder and the bullet was stuck under the hide about to exit the front shoulder, text book folded up petals.

95g Nosler partion with 43.0g of IMR 4350 with a win primer will never let you down, it's a no brainer, and proved very effective close and far on those large Nebraska corn fed bucks out to 350 yards. You can interchange the 95g Ballistic tip and 95g partitions on point of impact in my Rem 700 in 243 Win with the load above.

If you are on a budget and want to use one bullet for deer and coyotes, then the 100g Hornady BTSP with 42.3g of H4350 with Win primer has been very effective on 200 lb deer in our 700's. We killed a lot of hogs in TExas with the 100g Hornady BTSP, one of the most underrated bullets on the market, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Back