6x6.8 report

I gotta correct myself, Ive not resized any fired cases out of the 6x6.8 yet due to issues getting the correct decapping rod. The loose pockets are all on my 6.5x6.8 cases. I tend to keep too many irons in too many fires. I should have my decapping rod tomorrow and I will see how many are loose. My 6.5x6.8 is not showing as much pressure either.

Last edited:
I'd be surprised if you lost any to loose pockets at the loads you listed in the 6x6.8.

Take your micrometer and measure the diameter of you 7.5s and compare them to another brand.

This thing wont hold an inch now....tried 87 vmax with 28 grains 8208 and it swipes and smears terribly. Im at a loss. I have my known goos zeiss on it as well now. It has shot 1 3 shot sub inch group since cleaning it with wipeout.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: midwestpredatorI'd be surprised if you lost any to loose pockets at the loads you listed in the 6x6.8.

Take your micrometer and measure the diameter of you 7.5s and compare them to another brand.

I've found 7 1/2's to be small also.

What else in the load has changed? Curious that it would shoot well then fall apart after cleaning. All of my bhw barrels liked to be clean. Did you brush? A few strokes with a brush to knock the carbon out makes a world of difference on mine.

How long is your throat? Is it possible you are jamming bullets at 3.05" coal? Did you measure? My BHW 6x6.8 barrel had a very short throat, I was TOUCHING lands at 2.172" with 58 Vmax.

Originally Posted By: midwestpredatorI measured that chamber myself. I am not sure where the nosler will touch but that barrel does not have the short throat.

What did you measure it with?

Originally Posted By: reddog964Originally Posted By: midwestpredatorI measured that chamber myself. I am not sure where the nosler will touch but that barrel does not have the short throat.

What did you measure it with?

An oal gauge and a 58 vmax lol. The numbers matched up with what ritch told me they should be, and they were very close to my old notes from another barrel.

450 primers gave me 100 FPS more with the 58s and 75 FPS more with the 70s over the Remington 7.5s. I'm shooting 31.5 grains of 8208 with 58s at 2.255 and 30 grains of AR comp with the 70 bts at 2.285. This length puts them the same at the ogive. The 58s are running 3525 and the seventies are running 3277 average out of the 20" 9 twist tube. My once fired Federal brass has the shoulders pushed back about .010 and tonight I will have some loaded up only pushed back .005. The 58s are right at an inch for six shots and the three 70s I shot we're just a shade over a half inch. I will hopefully have more info tonight on the same loads only with properly sized brass.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223450 primers gave me 100 FPS more with the 58s and 75 FPS more with the 70s over the Remington 7.5s. I'm shooting 31.5 grains of 8208 with 58s at 2.255 and 30 grains of AR comp with the 70 bts at 2.285. This length puts them the same at the ogive. The 58s are running 3525 and the seventies are running 3277 average out of the 20" 9 twist tube. My once fired Federal brass has the shoulders pushed back about .010 and tonight I will have some loaded up only pushed back .005. The 58s are right at an inch for six shots and the three 70s I shot we're just a shade over a half inch. I will hopefully have more info tonight on the same loads only with properly sized brass.

IME that excessive headspace will give you false case head pressure signs, I.E. more pronounced ejector/extractor marks.

I shoot for .003-.004 bump and have had no issues.

Tried pushing the shoulder back .005 and .003 with a couple different coal and powder charges and this thing is an inch at best as of now with 70s. Im gonna try 58s yet this evening. I also swapped out the 15 for an 11" handguard to eliminate gas block contact.

Last edited:
It sounds like you may be changing to many variable at one time.

What were the new charge weights and oal? How did the swipes look on those vs what your were getting before?

I swapped the handguard first to eliminate contact. I then tried 30 ar comp and 70 bts at 2.285 oal and then 2.305 which originaly shot .750" with 7.5 primers. I tben dropped to 29.7 grains to counter the hotter primer. It is a struggle to even hold an inch with any loads with 70 bts now. Some 3 shot groups are 1.5".
I did go back to 31.5 grains of 8208 with 58s and after 1 flyer to refoul the next 5 had 3 touching and 2 an inch to the right touching.These were at 2.255. I then loaded 6 more only at 2.250 and it put 4 in one ragged hole, but one to the right openned the group to a smidge beyond an inch and one low just shy of an inch. Its like the 58s wanna shoot but always has a flyer or two to go with the 60% or 70% that seem pack in one hole. All of these were shot with 450 primers and only the first 2 group with 70s were bumped .005" the rest were bumped .003. I think the swiped might be a bit less with less shoulder bump but hard to tell since they are already swiped up. It isnt cured though. I still have my non adjustable gb on it.

Last edited:
Oddest part is that it was shooting 70 bts at 3200 fps with 22 fps spread at .750" groups with a fat crosshair 3-9 vx1 with 30 ar comp and 7.5s with .010: shoulder set back and a oal of 2.305". I cleaned it with only patches and wipeout with a bore guide mind you and then install the joebobs adjustable gb and it turned into a scatter gun with the same load.......crazy. I put the other stoner gb back on and still lousy only now I have 1 more gb set screw mark.

Last edited:
This thing puts several 58s in one hole then the group shifts or it throws one. I dry fire my rifle from the bench and about as often as the group shifts or it throws one the reticle in my Zeiss basically shifts upon dry firing exactly the same direction and amount as my group are shifting. I have a stack of v16's and now a Zeiss that won't hold zero. The scopes will return to zero on the next shot or after cycling the bolt but the reticle does shift on occasion and different amounts. I only notice horizontal shift and I only experience horizontal groups shifts and flyers. This is ridiculous. I have run probably 750 rounds through 3 rifle in the last 4 months chasing these 6 or 7 pos scopes. I highly recommend everyone with an issues goes to the bench and dry fires the rifle while watching the reticle. AI am not sure what to do at this point. I guess Iv send them all in because I don't pan off these kinds of headaches to others with the classifieds. What scopes have you guys had true repeatable half minute accuracy with. I have got to do something.

Last edited:
Oh and one other odd thing, Sunday 58s were about 3525 with 31.5 8208 and 450s. This morning they were only 3425 ish and 3400 with 31.3 grains. Only 19 fps spread with 31.3 on 5 shots and a bigger spread on the 31.5. My graph was 4 or 5 ft. closer Sunday but 100 fps?????? Before wit 7.5s they were 3430 ish.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223This thing puts several 58s in one hole then the group shifts or it throws one. I dry fire my rifle from the bench and about as often as the group shifts or it throws one the reticle in my Zeiss basically shifts upon dry firing exactly the same direction and amount as my group are shifting. I have a stack of v16's and now a Zeiss that won't hold zero. The scopes will return to zero on the next shot or after cycling the bolt but the reticle does shift on occasion and different amounts. I only notice horizontal shift and I only experience horizontal groups shifts and flyers. This is ridiculous. I have run probably 750 rounds through 3 rifle in the last 4 months chasing these 6 or 7 pos scopes. I highly recommend everyone with an issues goes to the bench and dry fires the rifle while watching the reticle. AI am not sure what to do at this point. I guess Iv send them all in because I don't pan off these kinds of headaches to others with the classifieds. What scopes have you guys had true repeatable half minute accuracy with. I have got to do something.

I use Vortex Vipers, Nikon Buckmasters, Leopuld in various flavors 4.5X14 - 24X nothing super expensive. I just haven't had these issues. The 24X grts about 60% f my load work upd and a Vortex 6.5X20 gets the majority of the rest. I have three Vortex and four Buckmasters that are run on my long range target and prairie dog guns. The only true failure I've had was on a Leupold AO 10 that lost the cross hairs. I got it in 75 snd it's had thousands of rounds through it. A week to tye shop and back for free plus I added target turrets and it hasn't missed a lick since.

Greg

Imo you need to use a nylon brush to break up the carbon. Next about the speeds. 3420 is about what I'd expect with that load. I think the close crony was giving false readings due to muzzle blast possibly.I have had a bad zeiss so no surprise there. The weavers surprise me more as they seem to have a good track record.

Just some thoughts as you seem to be grasping at straws at the moment. Also of note in my experience I lost some accuracy once with a set screw gas block compared to a clamp style. Next is neck tension. Make sure u have enough. 3 to 4 thousandths imo. Measure the neck after sizing then again after seating the bullet.

Back