6x6.8 Hornady dies

I could be wrong and I'm sure powder choice will make a difference but I think you might find that the 6 mm bore size may allow you to push a 55 or 58 grain faster than the smaller 22 caliber bore size especially in a shorter tube. H322 will push a 58 / 3700 without being over pressured. The 6mm also gives you the option of the 70 and 75 grain bullets that will work in the same 10 twist that the 55 amd 58s will like. I also think you will find that at night hunting distances which Max at 300 or 350 yards there won't be more than 1 inch to 1 and 1/2 in trajectory difference with the heavier bullet vs. the light pills.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jca57jdHmmmm. Leaning toward the 22x6.8 now. It would be flatter for night hunting.

My assessment would be at night the 6 would be a better choice. Heavier bullets at the same speed and the trajectory will be so close as to be covered by human error. Most of us can't hold 1/2" up and down in the field. You can also push the lighter ones faster in the 6 by a good margin.

Greg

In my opinion the 6 x 6. 8 is the ultimate night hunting cartridge given you can run it in an AR-15 which is the ultimate platform to night hunt with. The reason the simple neck down is desirable to me is because we lose quite a bit of our brass so I prefer to not have a cartridge that has to be fire formed in order to get the full advantage of it.

The biggest challenge for me in the 6mm is trying to figure out what bullet to shoot with the huge array of bullet options that will all kill coyotes.

Long barrels are generally safer especially at night when it can be tough to see exactly what you're doing all the time. On top of that I feel like of all the weight a guy can leave at home out of his hunting gear the last 2 or 4 in of gun barrel is not a good thing to leave out unless you're running a can which we cannot have here in communist Illinois.

Last edited:
Ritch is building me a .22x6.8. I can not legally hunt with a 6mm only .22 cal at night. But if I could I would use 6mm over .22 any time.

I am shooting a can that’s why I want the 18” barrel. If I can 58 vmaxes to 3600fps with a 18” I’m sold. Greg can you clarify 3550-3600 with the right powder? Thanks!

I hate to break it to you but your not going to see 3600fps with an 18in barrel. The speeds that are being listed are with a 22in or 24in barrel and they were stated as such.

I don't have and 18in but I would put an educated guess at 3350-3400fps will be maxed out. Talk with Ritch himself, he actually shoot an 18in.

Originally Posted By: NonnieselmanDang i just got my redding bushing dies in today to load 6x6.8. Wish i would have seen this post earlier.

Return or sell them! Lol

Ha i cant. The lady at accurate arms and ammo helped me find all the parts. Ill have to test them out this weekend and see what happens.

Originally Posted By: NonnieselmanHa i cant. The lady at accurate arms and ammo helped me find all the parts. Ill have to test them out this weekend and see what happens.

With a 58 VMAX 3460 with H322 in my personal 18" maybe a bit more room on top but not much. It'll work.

Greg

Last edited:
I’m building my first ar15 for predator hunting and want it to have the ballistic coefficient of 6mm bullets with 243 Winchester velocities. This 6x6.8 spc cartridge looks like the winner with all the reading and research I’ve done on various different forums and websites. It’s a very impressive round designed by some intelligent guys and feels like a no brained vs the 22 nosler or other new cartridges being designed to shoot out of the ar15 platform. I’m contemplating many cartridges from the 6mmar turbo to the .224 Valkyrie and others.

Last edited:
Come on guys this is going to make shooting and reloading the 6x6.8 caliber just as easy as on other caliber. This will give you the performance of an ar10 platform or bolt gun in an ar15 platform. What’s not to love? So jump on board with this excellent opportunity.

Originally Posted By: HcboyCome on guys this is going to make shooting and reloading the 6x6.8 caliber just as easy as on other caliber. This will give you the performance of an ar10 platform or bolt gun in an ar15 platform. What’s not to love? So jump on board with this excellent opportunity.

It sure makes life easier but it won't quite bump it up to AR10 level..LOL

Greg

I posted with a few questions a couple weeks ago about the 6x6.8 and I'm still on the fence about whether to get one. I guess it's the question of whether it's a benefit over the 2- 6.8 SPC rifles that I already have. One rifle is set up for varmints/ predators and the other for deer.

One minute I'm ready to click the buy button from Ritch, then catch myself and stop.

Ugh! It's so frustrating! Convince me why I should have a 6x6.8.

Back