6x6.8 dies

Sledge

A buddy of mine is looking at purchasing an upper and was concerned about where to find dies. I know he can use a 6.8 bushing due but are there any out there that aren't bushing type dies?

Thanks.

CH4D makes standard dies for it, called 6mm spc by them.
As stated above they are in no real hurry to make them as many have been waiting a long time for CH4D to step back up to the plate and make a good run on them.

Why would any company chamber barrels for a cartridge that is so hard to get good dies for? All 3 of my 6 WOA'S came with dies. There's no way I'd buy a barrel and wait 7 months for a set of dies to be able to load for it. He's been looking at the 6mmAR'S also, he'll probably go that route.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:
My new CH4D dies should be here about the same time my Blackhole replacement barrel gets here. Should work out perfectly. Just hope I live to see that that day. I have a 6 WOA sizing die. But not going to change.
MB

Originally Posted By: SledgeWhy would any company chamber barrels for a cartridge that is so hard to get good dies for? All 3 of my 6 WOA'S came with dies. There's no way I'd buy a barrel and wait 7 months for a set of dies to be able to load for it. He's been looking at the 6mmAR'S also, he'll probably go that route.

Thanks guys.

I had my bushing dies and some loads built before my barrel came. With the accuracy I'm getting, I have no need for the CH4D dies. May pick up a 22x6.8 sometime and will only need another bushing. Could already load for a 6.5x6.8 which interests me, also.

I'm not going to claim to be a Reloading Superstar, either. It just isn't that hard.

Originally Posted By: SledgeWhy would any company chamber barrels for a cartridge that is so hard to get good dies for? All 3 of my 6 WOA'S came with dies. There's no way I'd buy a barrel and wait 7 months for a set of dies to be able to load for it. He's been looking at the 6mmAR'S also, he'll probably go that route.

Thanks guys.

That's a good question but does X-caiber, Shilen or Krieger sell dies for everything they chamber? They are barrel companies not die companies. The Redding dies work perfectly well and were the go to set up when the cartridge was designed.

I don't see many one piece dies out there for most of the wildcat cartridges based on the WSSM, WSM or many of the other ones we like. My 20-250 is all bushings so I can control the brass process as are several other ones I load for.

The CH4D thing was actually done on a whim by me. Why they don't turn them out like cookies is beyond me. I don't forsee anyone coming out with a standard OTC die in 20X6.8, 20LBC, 22 LBC or 30 ARX anytime soon.

There are some esoteric dies out there for some of these cats to the tune of almost $200.00 so I figure I can load five wildcat 6.8s or 6.5's for about the same price using two $60.00 sizer dies and five bushings. For the 6X6.8 I can get it for right on $85.00.

Here's a cheap wildcat called the 20 PRACTICAL. Look at the prices one fellow is getting!!

http://www.6mmar.com/Dies___Reloading_Tools.html

If I wasn't skileld enough to choose my parts I would feel molested.

The method is there to make the brass and I don't really believe using bushing dies is all that challenging, do you? Really is two passes through the die for forming really that hard?

Greg

Last edited:
I have a CH4D 6X6.8 sizer die I would be willing to part with for the price of the stuff to get set up with a Redding busing die. You may not like the price but if you need a die now and don't want to do bushings it is an option.

GLSHOOTER what do I need and I will find out the cost?

A person used to be able to call Forster and have one of their sizing dies honed to whatever measurement they wanted for like 20 bucks. I think Hornady used to offer this as well. Has anyone tried that route? I really have nothing in it as I don't own anything chambered in this, just curiosity at this point.

Originally Posted By: 3DHUSKERI have a CH4D 6X6.8 die I would be willing to part with for the price of the stuff to get set up with a Redding busing die. You may not like the price but if you need a die now and don't want to do bushings it is an option.

I use a 6.8 Type S full length die. A complete 22 decaping assembly is optional if you don't decap separately. A 280 and a 268 bushing. Get Wilsons. Cheaper and they have a nice lead in chamfer.

Greg

Originally Posted By: SledgeA person used to be able to call Forster and have one of their sizing dies honed to whatever measurement they wanted for like 20 bucks. I think Hornady used to offer this as well. Has anyone tried that route? I really have nothing in it as I don't own anything chambered in this, just curiosity at this point.

Nothing they can use to hone to. 6.8 base die is too big. A 6PPC neck die could be used in a pinch.

Greg

Last edited:
I realize that.
I was thinking a guy may be able to get them to make one with a 6mm neck instead of the 6.8. They offer the honing service, maybe they'd do it maybe they won't.

Ic they did that they wouldn't have to hone anything. It'd be right to start. Part of the problem is the brass varies in thickness and you are then stuck with the expander ball for tension. Of course you can always get custom or made custom expander balls or mandrels.

Greg

That's kind of what I was thinking too. I can't see it being that difficult when WOA, Whitley and GAP get it done with some of their wildcats. That's just the ones that pop into my head. I'll have to look at my sizing dies for the WOA's, they may actually be Reddings. I know the seaters are all Forster micro's.

May be a way around the long wait for non bushing dies.

Originally Posted By: 3DHUSKERI have a CH4D 6X6.8 sizer die I would be willing to part with for the price of the stuff to get set up with a Redding busing die. You may not like the price but if you need a die now and don't want to do bushings it is an option.

So shipped to my door its going to cost me 115.00 for what I need.

I will ship my CH4D 6X6.8 sizer die to whoever needs one now for 125.00. That is my cost of new bushing sizer die, bushings and shipping mine to you.

Back