6x45 , range report w/pics First Blood w/pics

The Wolverine

Finally got loads put together, and started to break in the Black Hole Weaponry barrel.

I loaded forty, 85gr BTHP GK over 23gr of H335 for the break-in.

Everything I had heard about the quality, and accuracy of BHW barrels is true, and then some. Once I got it sighted in at 100 yards, I shot a five shot group to see what it would do, first three shots touching for a .24 group, (had to walk down to the target while the copper killer was soaking, to see if my spotting scope was lying) , shot two more, for a overall group of .73.

Not overly thrilled with how dirty the h335 is, could not believe how dirty the barrel was after one shot, but the accuracy is good.

Sorry about the crappy cell phone pics.

IMAG0311.jpg

IMAG0316.jpg

IMAG0313.jpg

IMAG0312.jpg

Last edited:
Will it only show two pictures?, or did I do something wrong? You can click on the other two, and see them, but they are are not posting.

Last edited:
My experience with H335 has been the same, very dirty and for me fairly temperature sensitive which turned me off of it. I use what I have left for SHTF loads.

Try some AA 2015 if you can and let us know how that performs. I have great luck with that powder out of my 6x45.

Suicidal deer.

I was trying to get the break-in done Friday afternoon. One shot one clean, takes awhile. I shot one right at dark, went in the house to turn on the flood lights, one is pointed right at my shooting bench, grabbed the weapon light. I cleaned the barrel standing in the glow of the flood, popped on the weapon light, sat down and I could not see my target on my backstop, then I realized why, there was a doe standing broadside right in front of my target. I tried to get a cell phone pic of her, but could not see her, tried to take pic threw the the scope, but she walked off.

She should be glad I am law abiding, I have been wanting to try the 85gr SGK out on a deer.

Originally Posted By: sigprosYou guys are trying hard to talk me into one of these aren't you? I need to quite reading these threads. LOL

Go ahead pull the trigger, you will be like the rest of us and not be able to stop. LOL

Originally Posted By: HoierSo how do you like that Dragon head muzzle break?

I like it, but have not swapped it for a standard break to shoot for a real side by side comparison.

I am still breaking the barrel in, one shot, clean with powder solvent and copper killer for twenty rounds, then two shots, clean, for the next twenty, it takes a while.

When I finish the break-in, I will test it and report back.

Got home before dark finely, looked out the back window, and there were four test subjects drinking at the pond. Grabbed the 6x45, slipped onto the deck, and watched them until last light, hoping my wife would get home with my daughters, so one of them could shoot her, or just in case Mr Bucky stepped out.

She was standing broadside at 120 yards, or so I thought, she was actually quartering towards me. I hit her a little low, entered between two ribs, exited between two ribs, exit hole about the same size as entrance, she ran 20 yards before piling up, good blood trail.

Jury still out on the 85gr BTHP GK, I have read on here, that they do not always expand reliably at 6x45 velocities.

Entrance
IMAG0343.jpg

Exit
IMAG0341-1.jpg

You did well brother. I would seriously look at the Nosler Partition, it will expand better, down to the partition anyway...

Originally Posted By: MPFDYou did well brother. I would seriously look at the Nosler Partition, it will expand better, down to the partition anyway...

The Partition are awesome from what I have seen, but it just [beeep] me off to have to pay 60 cents for a bullet. Thought about buying them just for killing, and finding a cheaper bullet that shoots the same POI as the Partition, so I do not have to reset scope.

I bet if you put them in with your same load they will be real close to the same zero.

Last edited:
Man, you got a lot of wings off that doe.....
tt2.gif

To be honest I think quite a few of the varmint bullets are devastating on deer sized game, specifically the Speer TNT bullets. I am sure other work well also.

Back