6x45 or 25x45 Sharps ? Which is better?

Vance

So I now have my first build done, .223 Wylde 18" heavy with 1-8 twist. I still need to upgrade the trigger but it shoots pretty good even with the mil spec .

When I started this project I had wanted to go 6x45 , but now I see the Sharps offering and it has me wondering if I should go that route?

I would probably go with a 20-22" BHW barrel in a lighter profile and target crown.

Any experienced advice would be appreciated!

6X45 for more flexibility. Trust me on that one. I have them both. Ritch built me both and while accuracy is great with both the 6 MM just gets the nod. Of course I admit I've been shooting it for over 25 years with great success.

Greg

Originally Posted By: VanceGreg,

So what is it about the 6x45 that makes it more flexible

Bullet choice and a compilation of loading data that borders on the unreal. For some odd reason the 25's just never seem to achieve the velocities that one would expect. The 223 case even loaded to 2.314 and a 25 just doesn't turn it on.

Greg

I am a big fan of the 6x45. It is especially nice once spinning 80+ gr pills in an AR mag...A simply wonderful round, IME.

I just don't see enough bullet selection that will work in a 25x45 to warrant it.

Originally Posted By: VanceAnyone know where I can find 6x45 dies ?

CURRENTLY IN STOCK: Midsouth, CH4D. I use a set of Redding Type S 223 dies currently.

Amazon.com has the Hornady 6mm/223 dies also

Greg

6x45 dies from RCBS are only made in small base, all other brands are standard.
I have 6x45 dies from redding & rcbs.
Flexibility from 55g bullets to 90g bullets & super accuracy.
Loading info available on most reloading sites & manuals.
Perfect for p-dogs to deer sized game.
6x45 dies can be had from midwayusa, amazon, ch4d etc.

Originally Posted By: VanceSo do I need small base dies, or just use standard base ?

I have five 6X45's none require SB dies. That is four AR's and a bolt gun.

Greg

Originally Posted By: VanceThanks Greg!

Thank you but here is a whole passel of guys on here pitching in to help. Between us it is quite a data base.

I get to post more than some because I am retired and am a reloading addict.

Greg

Originally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: VanceThanks Greg!

Thank you butt here is a whole passel of guys on here pitching in to help. Between us it is quite a data base.

I get to post more than some because I am retired and am a reloading addict.

Greg

That's very true ! I learn something new just about every time I get on this board. I truly do appreciate every body who shares their knowledge with me.

Originally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: VanceSo do I need small base dies, or just use standard base ?
I have five 6X45's none require SB dies. That is four AR's and a bolt gun.
Greg
Yup Yup Yup small base not needed, wish rcbs made them standard myself, but Im sure they made them for the AR15 rigs thinking they have to be SB.
The only reason I got rcbs dies recently was the price of $37 and Im building 2 more 6x45s for my sons.

Originally Posted By: VanceSo I found this die from RCBS, it does not say anything about being small base. How can I know for sure ?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/494398/rcbs-2-die-set-6x45mm-6mm-223-remington

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/399154/rcbs-small-base-2-die-set-6x45mm-6mm-223-remington

thats the small base one they sell - it specifically notes it in the item description. the one you linked to is the non small base version.

the only time you MIGHT need a SB die is on the first conversion of military brass, to remove any possible machine gun sloppy chamber bulge. once they've been through your run, regular FL dies should be fine. I have SB dies for 223 and 308 just for that reason, but the only see use on my bench for initial processing.

HTH

Back