6mm Speed Goat bullets?

Squeeze

All,

I am considering working up a antelope load, for an upcoming
hunt, for my 6mm Rem. I have my 25-06 Rem. set to go, with
a nasty 100 gr. TSX load, but since I am bringing the 6mm Rem.
for pdogs, I thought I would work up a load, as a back up
to the 25-06, for speed goats. The 6mm wears a 6-24x Bushnell
4200, so that might be a plus, over the 25-06, with a Nikon
Monarch 5.5-16.5x, too. Anyway, my question is does anyone
have a strong preference for 6mm antelope bullets? I am
considering the 85 gr. TSX, just because it is long, and I
can drive it hard, but I am interested in what veteran
6mm/243 antelope shooters have used with good success.

Squeeze

I have never killed a Antelope with my 6mm Rem but have killed a bunch of Whitetail Deer and the Swift 90 gr Sciroccos is one of the best 6mm bullets on the market. Try Win 760 because most 6mm Rem really like this powder. The 85 TXS would be a great bullet, if your rifle will shoot it.

Antelope are not hard to kill. The last one that I killed was at 430 yards. I shot him with a Rem 788 in 223 with a load of 26.5g of 748 with a 55g Winchester that clocked 3150 fps, he fell like a toilet seat, but the wind was about 10 mph.

I killed a lot of speed goats with a 6 Rem loaded with a Sierra 85g Spt and a 85g Speer BTSP loads with just about a max load of IMR 4350 in a Win case with a 9 1/2 primer.

The 95g Nosler with 43.0g of IMR 4350 in a Win case with a Fed 210 primer usually shoots 1/2" groups at 3150 fps and is good for any size deer + antelope.

Your choice of the 85g Tripple shock is a great one; I just wanted to let you know that the goats are not hard to kill, especially the first 3 days of season.

Bullet placement is the key. Find one that shoots well in your rifle. Most will perform to your liking.
Antelope can be very tough to kill if you don't place the bullet properly.
They can travel very far very fast if not hit right /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I have shot a lot of Antelope in my life and most of them with a .243. I have always used a 95 grain nosler bullet and they have worked great. Game dog is right, you have to place the bullet correctly to make it all happen. Antelope will run forever if poorly hit. About two years ago we glassed a small herd that had been jumped by some hunters. The biggest buck was running on three legs after the front shoulder was hit and doing a darn good job of keeping up with the group. I am sure those Barnes will do the job as long as they shoot good in your rifle.

I've had good luck against antelope with the 6mm Rem loaded with the 95 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip over either RL19 or H4350. In my rifle, the RL19 is a touch more accurate, while the H4350 is a bit faster. My current favorite antelope load is the fast one with H4350.

Mike

Saw a couple taken last year with 95 Partitions out of a .243 by a 1st timer. Didn't see much if any difference from the ones shot with .257 Roberts, 7-08, or 7 mag.

I have killed one with a 7STW 154gr Hornady Interlock and one with a 243 95gr Nosler BT. Both were DRT. I believe bullet placement is as important as always, as others have stated.

Quote:
Sierra 85 grn. HP BT! It dumps em!

+1 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Sierra 85gr HPBT Gameking. Many, many deer, 1 shot, DRT

M

I 've not shot goats with my .243 ,but a lot of deer have fallen too 95 gr NBTs.

BTW.........
The only speed goat I've killed was shot with my HOYT at 40 yards!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tim

Quote:
I 've not shot goats with my .243 ,but a lot of deer have fallen too 95 gr NBTs.

BTW.........
The only speed goat I've killed was shot with my HOYT at 40 yards!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tim

What fun is this? If I get them in that close, I will use
my 1911 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Oh, a HOYT is a bow! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Good job. I am not
sure hiding out by a water hole, in a blind, is for me. I
get to do almost that same thing, hunting whitetails in
Wisconsin. It has been years since I hunted the plains,
prairies, and high plateaus. I really want to peak
over a rise, slide an accurate long range rifle into place,
exhale, squeeze, and hear a THUNK, over the wind in
my ears.

To all that posted, thanks. I have taken the front
runners, in this impromptu poll, lined them up on
paper, and picked two to play with. Given I want a
lighter well constructed bullet, to drive hard, and yet
still have a decent B.C. for wind performance, I will start
the effort with the Swift Scirocco II 90 gr., and the Barnes
TSX 85 gr. If I would have considered this load, to cross
over to whitetails, the Nosler 95 gr. would have probably
made the cut, but I have so many other "deer" rifles, that
the 6mm Rem., will never go whitetail hunting. I
re-barreled this Savage 16 action, with this custom 6mm
barrel, to shoot 65 gr. VMax bullets well. It does that,
and will primarily do that until I wear out the barrel. So
this load effort is specialized for the every few years
antelope hunt, where wind, and longer range, considerations
are dominate factors.

I appreciate the comments on shot placement, and the
durability of antelope, or the lack of it, with well placed
bullets. I intend to practice long range, windy
conditions(without wind flags /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif), shooting to improve
my odds that bad hits don't happen. I have only had a
couple of not recovered animals in my 40 some years of
hunting, and I do remember that hollow feeling well. It
has been 20 some years since the last one, and I know I am
due, so I work especially hard to add to those years.

Thanks again, for all of the replies.

Squeeze

Antelope are easy to kill you don't need any TSX BMX Chit to kill them. Just a regular old cup and core bullet will get the job done. I like the Nosler 90 or 95 Gr BT. I've used them in both .243 and my 6MM Remington. Some family lived in Worland Wy and that is all the ever used for antelope.

Last edited:
Hey Squeeze !

Good luck !

My goat didn't involve a water hole ,but close.

The rancher had horses and left his trailer on the property.
So ,we used it for a blind and put up a decoy. It was fun!

I do wish I could have had a rifle too! Saw some big nontypical goats that where amazing!

Have a good time and be safe!

Tim /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Yea, antelope are easy to drop, considering shot placement is right. I've taken 5 total in Wyoming, all with a 25-06 and 100 gr. Speer SPs. A lot of people would say that a 100 gr. in 25 caliber is too light, but it works good for me. My last lope was taken at 300 yards with that bullet.

I've never used a 6mm for antelope, but see no reason that it shouldn't be a good round.

Sounda like you got two perfect antelope thumpers. I shoot a Ruger 243 with a 4x12 and my wife shoots a custom 25.06 with a 5x20. We rarely ever turn either past 10 power. I don't think we have ever killed a goat farther the 250 yards.(that was her)

Back