6mm Rem accuracy and future

Lodgepole

I have part of a Mod 600 Rem in 6 MM and am trying to decide if I want to put it together . It used to shoot well but in those days I was easier to please. I am a leftie (it is right hand) so why even consider it but it has family ties.I see that now there is 6mm brass available.Does this cartridge have the reputation for accuracy equal to the 243 ?I do not think that any new rifles are being made in this cartridge now ,is it a dead duck ?

50g of Win 760, Fed 210, 60g sierra will get you bug holes in all rem rifles that I have had in this caliber, start at 47 and work up.

38.5g of H4895, fed 210, win brass, 85g Sierra bthp is very, very accurate.

95g Partition, about a max load of imr 4831 with a 9 1/2 will kill all the big deer you would every want to kill.

Bed the action, freefloat the barrel, do a trigger job.

The 600's are very accurate in all calibers.

The 6mm Rem has always been a great cartridge, when I had my shop I sold one of my best friends a Rem 700 Varmint in this caliber and it was alsays his favorite predator hunting rifle. Does the 6mm Rem have a future? No i don't think youwill see any factory rifles chamberred in it. You will never have a shortage of brass as it uses the same brass as the 257 Roberts and the 7x57 Mauser.

Thanks Ackley & AWS ,I think I will do it and would have before this if it was LH . When I was in my teens (50 yrs ago )It shot a 75 gr hollow point very well Might have been a #1510 Sierra``.Need a bolt for it (PTG has them )and might luck out to head space it as is.It has a 18in. barrel.Sure is a easy carry .

My 700 Classic in 6mm with shoot 68gr v-max in the .4's. I can't shoot that well but a buddy of mine did it with a load he worked up for it years ago.

The 6mm is the cartridge that should have led the pack but for Remington’s mistake in using 12 twist barrels and Winchester’s correct decision to use 10 twist, the 243 stabilized 100 gr. bullets and the Remington 244 (now called the 6mm) did not.

Remington changed the name to 6mm Remington and the twist to 9 and 1/2 or there about but the damage was done.

Don’t get me wrong, I am a huge fan of the 243 Win and own several but the 6mm Rem has better dimensions in some important areas.

Three44s

Originally Posted By: Three 44sThe 6mm is the cartridge that should have led the pack but for Remington’s mistake in using 12 twist barrels and Winchester’s correct decision to use 10 twist, the 243 stabilized 100 gr. bullets and the Remington 244 (now called the 6mm) did not.

Remington changed the name to 6mm Remington and the twist to 9 and 1/2 or there about but the damage was done.

Don’t get me wrong, I am a huge fan of the 243 Win and own several but the 6mm Rem has better dimensions in some important areas.

Three44s

thumbup1.gif

Right on all counts. Although it is small, the 6mm Rem IS superior to the .243 Win. But sales are what matter and so if people are not buying no one is doing to continue making- at least not for long.

But who knows what may happen? I remember when no one here in the US wanted a 6.5 anything. Huh. Different now for sure.

I don't own a 6mm but I do read quite a bit about rifle cartridges. The 6mm is an incredible round. According to Jack O'connor the only reason it did not take off like the 243 is that they only loaded it up to 90 grains and marketed it as a varmint round. The 243 went to 100grn and was marketed as a crossover, history took care of the rest. As one person mentioned the twist rates were also a big part of it as well. All of that is solved these days. The 6mm is an amazing round that I would love to own one day.

Built my 8 YO son a 6mm Rem. for Christmas on a 98 Mauser action in 1968. It had a 4x Redfield scope & a Shillen barrel. First group he shot off the bench w/75 gr. Sierra HP's/IMR 4350 was 5/8". I was stoked and told him he'd have to shoot a long time to beat that. He fired the next group and it measured .5".
That may not sound great today, but in the 60's anything under 1" was better than average.

The next year he killed his first buck w/100 gr. NP and repeated that performance every year until he was big enough to handle a 30-06.

When it came time to rebarrel my .308 Mauser a couple of years later, I decided to duplicate his rifle but with a bull barrel. It shot equally well w/same loads, but I never used it for deer. We both still have those rifles.

The 6mm actually outperforms the 243. Why not, it's just a 30-06 that was not sanforized and shrunk a bit.
tt2.gif
lol.gif

Regards,
hm

I had 3 rifles in 6MM. I gave one to my son because he always loved it. He hunts with it all the time. He found me one that was traded in at Cablea's and called me. I bought it on the spot. We took it out and with his reloads I shot 3 rounds that touched at 100 yards. I told him I think it likes your reload recipe. Great cartridge!! Rudy

When I was looking to get a 6mm/.243 rifle, for both predator, and deer/antelope sized game, my research pointed to the 6mm Rem. I had a friend that shot the .243 Win, and he left brass on my range. I was not impressed with the short neck of the .243 Win. So with the research, and range observation, I went with the 6mm Rem. In my case, I was re-barreling a Savage Model 16(Short Action), that was a factory .22-250 Rem., that wasn't getting shot much anymore. Some of the internet experts told me the 6mm Rem., in a short action, would restrict OAL to the point that long game bullets wouldn't fit in the magazine...Well the internet experts were wrong. I have Sierra Pro Hunter 100 gr. loads, that fit well in the magazine, and shoot sub-MOA groups...Glad I didn't listen to them.
grin.gif

So put me firmly in the "6mm Rem. is better than the .243 Win." camp. It is probably a better cartridge for hand loaders, but there is some factory ammo offerings out there. I just saw 6mm Rem. brass(Winchester) at a local Cabelas. I have more than a couple of life time supplies of Winchester brass, when Winchester still made good brass, so I passed on then new Winchester brass, but it is still out there.

My new deer/antelope load is the 80 gr. Barnes TTSX. I did a BANG-Flop, at 320 yards, on a WY antelope a few years back. The exit hole was impressive, even at that range. I will always own at least one 6mm Rem. rifle.

Squeeze

I'm with Squeeze. Everyone needs at least one 6MM Remington rifle.

I currently have three of them plus a 22-6MM that can only be described as an accurate and very flat shooting rifle. The 6MM Remington cartridge is a very good cartridge. But so is its most immediate parent, the 257 Roberts which I like a lot too.

Brass will continue to be available simply because a lot of custom rifles are built for uber-serious hunters each year in 6MM Remington. The chances of a factory builder putting one on the shelf again is probably not so good.

Try RL-19 and 87gr V-max or RL-19 and 105 A-Max if you can still find that bullet, Hornady quit making it. You'll need an 8 twist for their 108 ELD-X or the Match. I shot those loads in this falls high power silhouette and they were amazing. No ringers on Rams either. The rifle is a stock 700 BDLstainless with a 24 inch barrel bought in 1992 with the 9 twist. Using a Boyds Prairie Hunter stock at this time as it feels better than the original stock. Coyotes I'm using 65 V-Max with IMR 4064. Primers in all cases are WLR.
Good luck with your rebuild.

Ive been watching this thread with enthusiasm as I'm Waiting on rings and bases for my new to me cdl classic Remington 700 6mm.this is my 2nd 6mm.my first was a rem 788 that my brother in law talked me out of.big mistake on my part for it was a true 1/4 moa rifle.i hope this new rifle will at least shoot as half as good as it does (1/2moa)lol.diffently not a dead duck in this ol boys eye's.sure would be nice if lapua or maybe nosler would make us some great brass but i guess we will just have to settle for so so brass for know.BTW was told this cdl liked 70gr nosler bt and was checking hodgen reloading data site and found a load using superformance powder with top velocity above 3800fps impressive.whistlepigs beware!!!

I can still remember the day 52 years ago my Dad walked over to his pickup and got that little rifle out and said "here's your birthday present ".I have good memories of it. My wife was shooting at antelope and she said " Oh look I got Two " .One through the lungs and one through the throat with the same shot.

I have a LH SA M700 and have always wanted to have this barreled to a 6mm but afraid brass will dry up because apparently very few...if any...rifles are coming out in 6mm calibers. And how many LH 6mm do you see? Probably will go for 7/08 but still intrigued with the 6mm...

I have a Model 600 6mm that I found in a pawnshop sometime in the 80's. I originally bought for use on coyotes. Since that time that sweet little gun has killed many, many deer both in my hands and those of my left-handed son.

I usually shoot Remington factory 100 gr. Core-Loks and while I am not an accuracy nut, it shoots groups that would satisfy anyone who uses it in a hunting situation.

Squeeze knows how much I love and shoot that gun. It has been my go-to deer rifle since the 80's and that is not going to change any time in the future...at least until I find out if my new Grandson is right or left handed.

6mm rocks!

Moosetrot

Back