6mm Creedmoor for coyotes

I didn't mean to upset all you EXSPURTS, by claiming 5000 rnds down the tube on a 243 but i have done it and still shoot under a inch with it, Wilson barrel 1x8 twist 24" reading these threads about shooting 243 every thing is about lite and fast 3500 FPS to 4000 FPS, you might try a little heavy and slow like105 to 112 gr. at 2800 to 2950, and not cooking the barrel with rapid fire out of a AR you will find you rifle barrels last a lot longer. and normally you will have less pelt damage with the heavy rounds going a bit slower Murl B.

I didn't mean to upset all you EXSPURTS, by claiming 5000 rnds down the tube on a 243 but i have done it and still shoot under a inch with it, Wilson barrel 1x8 twist 24" reading these threads about shooting 243 every thing is about lite and fast 3500 FPS to 4000 FPS, you might try a little heavy and slow like105 to 112 gr. at 2800 to 2950, and not cooking the barrel with rapid fire out of a AR you will find you rifle barrels last a lot longer. and normally you will have less pelt damage with the heavy rounds going a bit slower Murl B.

Oh you didn't upset me, your just wrong, exaggerating or both and i have no problem calling bullshit! I've shot out many 6mm barrels of different flavors and I don't care what you do, 5k from a 243 ain't happening, but you claim to do it with multiple ones!

My experience with the heavies and fur damage has been completely opposite of yours as well. Here's one of my day guns, 243, 1/7.5tw Brux running 105s that we have nicknamed the "Skinner" because it wrecks pelts/coyotes! It absolutely shreds them.

1000000211.jpg

1000000212.jpg

1000000213.jpg

I have multiple 243s in bolt guns and ARs for hunting applications, I also NEVER do mag dumps and they will ALL be toast somewhere around 1500 rounds.

Benchrest guys running 6PPC and 6BRs get about 2500-3000 average running slow speeds on 30gr average of powder, no way in Hades is a 243 with 43 plus grains going 5k....

You can't beat science or physics...unless you're Murl
A dasher using 30-31gr of powder, shooting a 115 bullet at 2800 fps isn't even going to give you 5000 rounds.
You'd be LUCKY to get 5k rounds with a 6 ARC with 28gr of powder and a 110 Atip.
Borescope your pipe...anyone worth their salt can tell if you've got 5k through it just by looking at the throat.

Velocity isn't what burns out barrels. Velocity is just a biproduct of heat and pressure. Its the amount and type of powder you use.

Either shoot a cartridge that uses less powder, or use a slower, cooler burning powder...but virtually EVERY 6mm cartridge burning 40+ gr of powder is going to be lucky to hit 2000 rounds. Most are dead long before 1500.

You can't beat science or physics...unless you're Murl
A dasher using 30-31gr of powder, shooting a 115 bullet at 2800 fps isn't even going to give you 5000 rounds.
You'd be LUCKY to get 5k rounds with a 6 ARC with 28gr of powder and a 110 Atip.
Borescope your pipe...anyone worth their salt can tell if you've got 5k through it just by looking at the throat.

Velocity isn't what burns out barrels. Velocity is just a biproduct of heat and pressure. Its the amount and type of powder you use.

Either shoot a cartridge that uses less powder, or use a slower, cooler burning powder...but virtually EVERY 6mm cartridge burning 40+ gr of powder is going to be lucky to hit 2000 rounds. Most are dead long before 1500.

c_bass I would almost bet money that Murl don't even own a borescope, I was hoping he would post pictures of all the beautiful fire cracking and erosion, I bet the barrel with 5k looks almost smooth bore like a shotgun šŸ¤£

c_bass I would almost bet money that Murl don't even own a borescope, I was hoping he would post pictures of all the beautiful fire cracking and erosion, I bet the barrel with 5k looks almost smooth bore like a shotgun šŸ¤£
ironically, a few inches of smooth bore doesn't necessarily mean it WONT shoot, but its wildly inconsistent and velocity goes crazy.

Ok the EXSPURTS have spoken , they have decided i'm a liar, I have no reason to state anything that is not true, it's amazing how someone as stupid as me can more rounds out of a barrel than the Experts. funny how that works HUH!! Murl B.

Yeah but he can still reach the lands with 3" of freebore :unsure:
Definately not reaching the lands...even with a 1/2" of freebore...but (and this is a very very very big BUT)
My 243WSSM still shot about 1" with about 1/2" of smoked out throat and 5-6" of fire cracks that looked like Gator Scales...but it went down hill FAST

I sent the Rifle in question to My gunsmith about 2 weeks ago. I have no doubt it was about to give up the ghost as you all have suggested, it will be a 6mm CM when it come back, Hope it shoots as well as it did as a .243. Murl B.

You're still wrong. Don't know how else to tell you that. You are literally the only guy on earth who claims to have 5K from a 243. And you don't see anything wrong with that picture??

I shot 1500 rounds of 105 AMAX at 3050fps from a 243 and never let the barrel get hot it's whole life, before it was toast. It was a LR steel rifle that I shot a round every minute or two. So you're whole slower bullet and more barrel life claim is still absolutely wrong and horse crap.

And like others have mentioned above, you don't even see 5K from the smaller 6mms. So put the pipe down already for God's sake.

I call BS too, but that's what makes it kind of funny also haha. Guys are either just to dumb, or really just don't know any better, and I can't really tell which it is for you quite yet...I'm guessing a little bit of both at this point.

Don't expect your 6 Creed to last 5K rounds either. They go about 1500-1800 at most. I shoot 108 ELDMs at 3000fps out of mine for a long range coyote gun and I'll be elated if it sees 1800 rounds. Those 108 ELDMs also leave some pretty nasty holes in dogs, not exactly fur friendly for being a bigger/slower bullet. They hit super hard, and are very thinly constructed bullets, so they don't just leave nickel size holes FYI...

Last edited:
I sent the Rifle in question to My gunsmith about 2 weeks ago. I have no doubt it was about to give up the ghost as you all have suggested, it will be a 6mm CM when it come back, Hope it shoots as well as it did as a .243. Murl B.
Bloody Mary getting a new tube ?!!

For you guys saying Murl B's claims are BS, I ask this....

Is it possible to get 5k rounds down a .243 barrel ,if the barrel was set back and chamber recut a time or 2 ?

Is it possible to get 5k rounds down a .243 barrel ,if the barrel was set back and chamber recut a time or 2 ?

Only if it's a long and heavy enough barrel at the shank to set back, and I've never heard of setting any barrel back twice for that matter. After so many rounds your barrel starts to wear 1/2-3/4 down the the tube also, not just the throat. But either way, its still not gonna go 5K rounds IMHO.

Sure, if it's a truck axle, like 1.25" strait and super long to start with where you have enough meat to rechamber that many times.

Rechambering isn't always as simple as a set back that only takes an inch or so, it sometimes needs to go much farther to get past the erosion and fire cracking, some its so far in its not worth it.

How the barrel was threaded also plays a role in the minimum to set back, like if it has a ditch out groove or was threaded all the way to the shoulder.

Hunting barrels are typically light and contour quickly past the barrel tennon so that's why it's not typically an option, definitely not an option for top accuracy.

Murl never once mentioned rechambering his or suggesting for others to do so to get to that round count, if he was actually doing that I'm sure he would have mentioned it.

I'm not saying he did or didn't as I don't know him. Based on what I've read from what he has posted over the years on the interweb, he has many many years of trigger time. I'd guess he's been shooting longer than you guys have been alive.

Kino,
I don't see you representing PM as a MOD , being very respectful of him.
Just my thoughts as a 20ish year member.

I'm not saying he did or didn't as I don't know him. Based on what I've read from what he has posted over the years on the interweb, he has many many years of trigger time. I'd guess he's been shooting longer than you guys have been alive.

Kino,
I don't see you representing PM as a MOD , being very respectful of him.
Just my thoughts as a 20ish year member.

cropdamage how long have I been shooting?? How long has Cbass been shooting?? How long has kyotekiller25 been shooting? What is our shooting backgrounds?? How old are we??? This is all information that you have zero clue about, and unless you and Murl are hunting partners or close friends I'm guessing you don't really know everything about him either.

Murl never posted any data, pictures/videos of his actual multiple 243s but I would love to see a well documented log book with some borescope pictures.

I can't speak for the other guys but I'll be 52 in a couple months, been shooting and handling guns my entire life since I was about 4 as a trapper, hunter, sportsman and as a professional soldier. I shoot competitive PRS and have a pretty extensive background in reloading and messing with many customs that I've built through the years. Does all that make me an expert??? Maybe, maybe not but I've been around a little and if I take a stance on something it's because I factually know something about it.

I, along with others in this thread called him out on his claim of "5k rounds on multiple 243 barrels with still good accuracy" because it's not possible in 99.999% of the rifles people are using to actually hunt with, we explained what it would take above in a previous post. Do some research on "243 barrel life" and you'll find zero other people on planet earth that has had the miracle results of 5k rounds that Murl has.

It has nothing to do with disrespect, personal attack or agenda, it has to do with calling BS on bad or incorrect information. There are actually members here TRYING TO LEARN good and factual information and that's sometimes hard to do with all the tall tales and incorrect information on the interweb. If people with firsthand knowledge didn't call out the BS how would anyone know otherwise???

You only named me but 2 other members also called him out, are they being disrespectful???

These are my thoughts as a 20 year member as well and I'd call it the same way regardless.

Back