6mm ARC

I had a 6mmLBC years ago. It was very accurate, but never lived up to my FPS expectations. Sold it and kept the 6.5 for the ft/lbs of energy it brings to the table.

Really liking the 6mm Arc in the CZ527 bolt action platform! Did well for me on a really nice whitetail at a smidge over 250 yards this last fall. High shoulder shot put the lights out instantly.

Last edited:
I'm a pass on the 6 ARC. Hornady does it again. Marketing ploy IMO. Hard to imagine they just did something original to a 6mm cartridge that someone hasn't done already. Catchy name though

Originally Posted By: Trapper DJI'm a pass on the 6 ARC. Hornady does it again. Marketing ploy IMO. Hard to imagine they just did something original to a 6mm cartridge that someone hasn't done already. Catchy name though

the 'big deal' IMO is the 6mm bullet in the smaller ar 15 chassis at 3300 fps (65gr bullet)

Last edited:

I liked what I was seeing in the 6 ARC, so I bought a complete Aero Precision 6 ARC upper from Brownells last year. It didn't shoot to my expectations, so I returned it and got a 2nd one. It did shoot better and I killed a few coyotes with it, then sold it, and decided to build a better upper around a Shilen/Ranier Arms barrel.

This one is a f'ing hammer, 1/2 MOA with 87 Bergers at 3000.

It has a niche, albeit a small one, but it's not a marketing ploy......

Originally Posted By: Buck13Originally Posted By: Trapper DJI'm a pass on the 6 ARC. Hornady does it again. Marketing ploy IMO. Hard to imagine they just did something original to a 6mm cartridge that someone hasn't done already. Catchy name though

the 'big deal' IMO is the 6mm bullet in the smaller ar 15 chassis at 3300 fps (65gr bullet)

This is true unless you reload then the 243 LBC and 6x6.8 along with the 6 dti are faster and twisted more for coyote weight bullets. If you don't reload I'm guessing the ammo choices are slim and more versed to shooting yonder steel plate which is the marking ploy part. In the end they all kill coyotes but we do often like to split hairs picking our favorite cartridges.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Buck13Originally Posted By: Trapper DJI'm a pass on the 6 ARC. Hornady does it again. Marketing ploy IMO. Hard to imagine they just did something original to a 6mm cartridge that someone hasn't done already. Catchy name though

and why hate on them for standardizing and making a widespread attempt to have product (ammo, barrels, etc) available for a cartridge similar to the 243 lbc/6mm grendel wildcats in retail stores who wouldnt normally even consider touching a wildcat even if its got high acceptance as such?

Barrels are chambered and twisted for 103 to 108 bullets in a shortened cartridge. I'm not sure what guys do with that other than become self glorified low speed snipers but it sure isn't a varmint cartridge. Honestly it's a case of advertising caused need iny humble opinion. Do a 9 or 10 twist with a throat to accept 55s to 75's then ya got a usable varmint cartridge.

Last edited:
Its made solely for an AR platform... I was running a 16" .223 shooting 53 vmax over Benchmark at 3030fps, that round was under 1,000 ft pounds before it hit 50 yds. I now run an 18" 6ARC shooting sierra 90gr game changers over leverevolution at 2925fps, that round holds 1000 ft pounds out past 450yards. So I gain plenty of power while not giving up much on speed and still fit in a AR15.

I live in North Eastern Nevada where you can sit down and see for miles. You try to call them in as close as you can but 3,4,500yrd shots are not uncommon. I got more runners than I cared for when running the 53vmax. They just opened nighttime shooting in my area and I want to get into a thermal. When shooting a coyote in pitch black you want the dog to drop right there, not run off over a hill and die.

There is certainly a market for a rifle with only an 18" barrel that you can throw a suppressor on, have a short overall rifle length and put the hammer down on dogs out to 500

I think if 4-500 yard shots where the norm in the wind, a 257 Weatherby Mag in a bolt rifle would be my choice.

I think all of these cartridges and options are neat as F!

We all live in vastly different environments.

For me, 200 yards is a long shot. Good ole 223/5.56 works perfect. Drops them like burlap sack full of bones most of the time.

For some reason these days i am getting the inkling for a high velocity bolt rifle. I sure don't need one though....

But want one.

Need/want one..I feel it too! I latched onto a good supply of 69 TMKs, run em @ 2800 and like the way they work. Seldom shoot more than 200 yds or so, but the 6mm ARC is appealing. Debating if can run it with my SIG SRD 556 can- of course SIG says no but the baffle dia is .310" so plenty of clearance.

Back