6mm ARC and bullet selection

wolverines

I just ordered everything to build a 6mm ARC AR15 with an 18" barrel. I'm debating on what bullet to shoot for nighttime coyote hunting. I'm currently shooting 95gr vmaxs out of a 22" 6.5cm AR10 with great results. I'm toying with this new rifle in hopes of similar results on an overall lighter weapon (my AR10 setup is 13.5lbs). My first thought was 58gr vmax as I already have some on hand, but I'm now wondering if the 65 or 75gr vmax would be a better option for DRTs? I don't think I'm interested in going much heavier than that. Not overly concerned with fur, but I do like to keep a few if they're nice enough to keep. The 6.5/95gr combo has actually been a lot easier on the fur than I had thought it would be. Most of my kills are in the 100-yard range. I've had a couple at 250, but I don't have a range finder on my thermal so everything should be under 300 yards. Any incite on this is appreciated.

I apologize if this has already been discussed. I tried a search on here and wasn't coming up with much.

TIA

Doing some internet research, the 80gr ELD-VT sounds like another option I would consider, but I'd like to hear the opinions from those that do, not those that sell (if you know what I mean).

I am using the Berger 88 grain varmint in my 16" barrel at around 2800 fps. very accurate and have performed well on a few Coyotes between 100 and 200 yards none have gone more than 25 yards.

I wasn't pleased with the results I was getting from my .223 so last year I bought a Savage Axis II heavy barrel with a 18", 1:7.5 twist. It shoots the HSM 75gr V-max's well so that's what I use. I have been very pleased with them so far. Even with less than perfect shots they haven't went far at all. The big male in my profile pic was hit almost square in the gut and he didn't make it 25 yards. The cats I've shot haven't even moved, straight anchored them.

I may try some of the 80gr V-match's whenever I am out of the HSM's, but I am in no hurry.

Thanks for the replies. The place I go to for reloading supplies did not have any 75s in stock I was hoping for. Their selection of 6mm Sierra bullets was pretty slim too. I ended up getting a box of 65gr vmax to try. My barrel is 1:8 twist so maybe they will work out. I was just hoping to be a bit heavier with this rifle. I feel like the 65s will have me at similar performance as my 224 Valk with 60s......

Understood. If I reloaded I'd be the same way.

HSM loads

75gr V-max
95gr SST
95gr. Berger Hunting VLD Match

My bolt rifle shoots the SST's and V-max's well. I haven't tried the Bergers yet.

Just an update, I got decent groups with the 65gr vmax over Ramshot X-terminator powder. 30.5gr is where I started and grouped a little under an inch. 31/31.5gr opened up a touch right at an inch. 32gr (max load according to the Hornady manual) has potential with 2 touching. Unfortunately, I made a bad first shot (I knew it immediately) and ruined the group. I loaded up 2 more of 30.5 to add to the 3 shot group to see what 5 looks like. I also loaded up 3 more of 32gr. Too windy to shoot yesterday and today. Maybe tomorrow.

What really has me disappointed is the overall weight of this rifle. As I mentioned above, I wanted to build something that would be lighter to carry for night hunting. Now that it's complete, I didn't really gain much as far as cutting weight at all. With that considered, this rifle will really need to impress me to opt for it over the 6.5cm. I guess we'll see.

Just an update, I got decent groups with the 65gr vmax over Ramshot X-terminator powder. 30.5gr is where I started and grouped a little under an inch. 31/31.5gr opened up a touch right at an inch. 32gr (max load according to the Hornady manual) has potential with 2 touching. Unfortunately, I made a bad first shot (I knew it immediately) and ruined the group. I loaded up 2 more of 30.5 to add to the 3 shot group to see what 5 looks like. I also loaded up 3 more of 32gr. Too windy to shoot yesterday and today. Maybe tomorrow.

What really has me disappointed is the overall weight of this rifle. As I mentioned above, I wanted to build something that would be lighter to carry for night hunting. Now that it's complete, I didn't really gain much as far as cutting weight at all. With that considered, this rifle will really need to impress me to opt for it over the 6.5cm. I guess we'll see.

Are you stuck on the AR platform?

Are you stuck on the AR platform?
It's definitely a preference. I had thought about building a 6mmCM on an MDT chassis (or something similar) but the overall cost was a deterrent as well as ease of follow up shots. I know there's plenty out there that are amazing with a bolt gun, but I've been in situations that I imagine how it would've went done with a bolt (hunting ag fields in MI). I just really like the AR platform all the way around.

As far as my group with the hot (32.0grs) X-Terminator group, I put 3 more on paper with the 2 that were touching. It is now pretty much just one large hole. Pretty happy with how it shoots so far.

IMG_2900.jpeg

Yeah. You should be able to kill a coyote with that.
Agreed. Just not sure what I'm gaining over the 6.5cm at this point in my journey. I messed around with the 2 (6mmarc/65gr vmax/6.5cm/95gr vmax) on the Hornady ballistics app. Bullet drop out to 400 yards is very similar. Time will tell.

If you
Agreed. Just not sure what I'm gaining over the 6.5cm at this point in my journey. I messed around with the 2 (6mmarc/65gr vmax/6.5cm/95gr vmax) on the Hornady ballistics app. Bullet drop out to 400 yards is very similar. Time will tell.

I agree. If you stay with the AR platform and keep the weights of each rifle about the same, then I don't think you would be gaining anything by going with the 6mm arc. If you were to switch the ARC to a bolt gun then you could pick up some speed, but even then would it be enough to out do the 6.5?

I switched over to the 6mm ARC because I wanted more power and a bigger hole than a .223. A friend of mine was like "check out the 6mm arc, I am building one now". I looked at it, figured what the heck. Since I prefer bolts over AR's I went that route and for me it does exactly what I was looking for. The 243 would have done it as well, but I just wanted something new and different.

what kind of weight did you end up with and what components did you use on your build?

i'm just wondering if you could slim things down a bit or if - for example - its primarily the weight of your optic thats killing your goal.

ie: can you go to a skeletonized forend and shave a bunch of weight, etc.

what kind of weight did you end up with and what components did you use on your build?

i'm just wondering if you could slim things down a bit or if - for example - its primarily the weight of your optic thats killing your goal.

ie: can you go to a skeletonized forend and shave a bunch of weight, etc.
Sorry, post wasn't quoted so I never saw your response.

I bought a complete upper and built the lower myself. I weighed both rifles yesterday completely stripped (other than the ARCA plates on both and a pic rail on the AR10). The 6 ARC was 8lbs and the 6.5CM was 9lbs. You are correct that that a big part of the weight is the optics and suppressor.

I also consider wind/spin drift along with bullet drop for anything passed 250 yds among other factors.

Lots of things you can do to lighten them but it will be expensive. If I was happy with the 6.5 Creed than I would buy the Ruger SFR (best value for weight) and sale the others.

When I built my 30 cal Sabercat, saving weight was a big deal since this was a stalking rifle. With a Ti can, Vortex Razor 1.5-8 scope, Aero LW scope mount, 16" LW custom barrel, 15" Smokes carbon fiber handguard, Smokes carbon fiber butt stock, magnesium lower receiver and loaded PRI mag, it weighs 7lbs 2 oz and costs me $2480.00 to build around 7 years ago.

AR 10 build with est. cost: https://www.predatormasters.com/forums/threads/ar-10-243-barrel-and-trigger.355692/n

You have two choices for your setup....... weight or give up the cash for a lightweight setup.

I learned the hard way, buy once cry once and being cheap gets expensive.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Last edited:
As far as my group with the hot (32.0grs) X-Terminator group, I put 3 more on paper with the 2 that were touching. It is now pretty much just one large hole. Pretty happy with how it shoots so far.

View attachment 6979
Looking to build my grandson an AR and still trying to decide on the 6 or 22 ARC.

What kind of velocities are you getting out of the 18"? Since it's a hot load, any pressure signs....wonder on brass life!

Looking to build my grandson an AR and still trying to decide on the 6 or 22 ARC.

What kind of velocities are you getting out of the 18"? Since it's a hot load, any pressure signs....wonder on brass life!
I did not use a chronograph during my load development. I was just focused on groups. It grouped the best at the max per the Hornady reloading manual. Their test gun used was also an 18" barrel so I'm assuming I'm in the neighborhood of 3200fps. I didn't see any signs of pressure as I worked up to the max load.

Back