..........6 BR for Coyotes....?.......

dan brothers

I've spent the whole day sitting here on the net researching about shooting longrange coyotes with 22-250 loads... heavy bullet weights... fast twist... stocks... barrels... triggers... and receivers.

The more I read about longrange accuracy... the more I read about the 6BR... so... I'm wondering if you longrange killers use it....?

Any 6mm with an 8 twist should get you up to the 105-115 bullets which will get the job done at long range. If you like the 22 caliber then the 8 twist barrel with 80 grain bullets does a great job too.
The 6.5x47 case makes a good parent case for the heavy 22 bullets and heavy 6mm bullets.
The 6xc is a good 6mm option that was designed to run the heavy bullets.
As far as the heavy bullets killing good. The Berger 105 hunting vld bullets kill well. The Berger target 105 hybrid bullets kill well even though they are not considered a hunting bullet.

The 6BR is a lot of fun to shoot. One thing to kinda keep in mind if your going to start a build. If you have the rifle throated for those 107 to 115 gr bullets it's going to be a long jump to the rifling when you switch to a lighter bullet. Also in a bolt gun they can be a bit picky about feeding properly from a magazine.

Personally I like the 6x47Lapua over the BR for a few reasons. It's got a bit more fire in boiler than the BR. Its perfect for a short action 700, it's length makes it feed much better than the BR from the magazine. It's a simple neck down from 6.5x47L brass without a bunch of fancy case work and fire forming of some of the other 6mm improved cases. I built one last year and it turned out to be a shooter, really happy with it.

Busted a bobcat last year with my buddy's 6x47 loaded with some fowler custom bullets, huge hole in the fur. The cat never even twitched though.

Originally Posted By: alf6 Dasher....more better.....

More case prep too. Necking 6br brass up to 25 or 6.5 then back down to 6 about half way up the neck to form a false shoulder then fire forming. All that for another 100fps... In a rifle the OP wants to hunt with. Can you say... Pain in the [beeep]?

Dan
Here's a good article on the 6x47L

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek093.html

Be aware that the 6x47Lapua and the older 6x47mm you see in the Hornady 7th book are two completely different animals. 6x47 Lapua load data can be found in the above article and it looks like its in Bergers new book that just became available in the last month or so. I'll be ordering one after x-mas.

I have both the BR and the 47L. The 6br is a tight neck bench gun I built for prairie dog shooting and the 6x47L I built last year for a antelope/deer rifle. For coyotes the 6x47L loaded with an 87gr vmax would put the hurt on them big time. It will run right with .243 in a shorter more efficient case.

Originally Posted By: FurhunterOriginally Posted By: alf6 Dasher....more better.....

All that for another 100fps... In a rifle the OP wants to hunt with. Can you say... Pain in the [beeep]?

Closer to 150.....of course, I'm not guessing.....

024iqq.jpg

001zq.jpg

The 6x47 lapua and the 6xc are virtually the same case with the difference being the small primer vs large primer. The advantage I see going to the 6xc is that there is no fire forming or necking down.
The only other issue is bushing the firing pin for the small rifle primer.

I thought about having another 6 BR built, this time wih a lighter contour for a walking coyote rifle. But went with the 6XC instead for several reasons.

I had a bunch of 22-250 brass already, the 6XC feeds without issue, unlike the 6 BR, and it hasd a bit more Horse power if needed.

I compare the 6XC to the 243 about the same as a 17 FB to the 17 Rem. Almost the same with less powder and better barrel life.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the 6BR, I still have two, but they are both single shots mostly.

Sako A2 243 on top, and L579 6XC on bottom

SakoRifles001.jpg

Originally Posted By: Furhunter

Personally I like the 6x47Lapua over the BR for a few reasons. It's got a bit more fire in boiler than the BR. Its perfect for a short action 700, it's length makes it feed much better than the BR from the magazine. It's a simple neck down from 6.5x47L brass without a bunch of fancy case work and fire forming of some of the other 6mm improved cases. I built one last year and it turned out to be a shooter, really happy with it.

Dan I built a 6x47L this year and am very happy with it for the reasons listed above. First outting with it this year I nailed a coyote at 464 yards with the 105 bergers. Coyote was DRT.
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: OK243
The only other issue is bushing the firing pin for the small rifle primer.

Question
I'm pretty sure that on a Remington the FP's the same size for large/small primer cases. At least the 22/250 I turned into a 22BR was. Therefore I've kinda assumed that all manufacturers were also the same, but never asked or really even thought about it much before.
Do other manufacturers actually have large primer/small primer specific FP's? Or are you talking about bushing the bolt to prevent primers from flowing.

Not looking for a fight. Just asking a simple question. Thanks

Originally Posted By: RePete
Do other manufacturers actually have large primer/small primer specific FP's? Or are you talking about bushing the bolt to prevent primers from flowing.

Bighorn does.
A lot of the others need a bushing and firing pin installed.
I'm not sure which ones.

Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: RePete

Bighorn does.
A lot of the others need a bushing and firing pin installed.
I'm not sure which ones.

Well I'll be darned.
Learn something new everyday eah?
Thanks

I have been hunting yotes with a 6br since 1997. My first 6br is a sigle shot 11 pounder built on a remmy 700. My second rifle is a 7 pound repeater built on a remmy 700. On #2 I did the Mike Bryant modification to the magazine. Feeding IS still a problem, my rifle won't feed from the magazine with more than one round in it. I like the 6br for killing yotes but it has limitations. For really long shots I don't know if it has the power to anchor Wile E.

Originally Posted By: RePeteQuestion
I'm pretty sure that on a Remington the FP's the same size for large/small primer cases. At least the 22/250 I turned into a 22BR was. Therefore I've kinda assumed that all manufacturers were also the same, but never asked or really even thought about it much before.
Do other manufacturers actually have large primer/small primer specific FP's? Or are you talking about bushing the bolt to prevent primers from flowing.Not looking for a fight. Just asking a simple question. Thanks.
700's all have the same firing pins sizes. The problem sometimes is not the diameter, but too much clearance between the firing pin and the hole in the bolt nose, and running max pressures. Bushing a bolt tightens up those clearances, and eliminate piercing with sane loads.

Originally Posted By: AZMIKE1I have been hunting yotes with a 6br since 1997. My first 6br is a sigle shot 11 pounder built on a remmy 700. My second rifle is a 7 pound repeater built on a remmy 700. On #2 I did the Mike Bryant modification to the magazine. Feeding IS still a problem, my rifle won't feed from the magazine with more than one round in it. I like the 6br for killing yotes but it has limitations. For really long shots I don't know if it has the power to anchor Wile E.

Both of my 6 Dashers pictured feed like shitt through a goose w/o any mods done. I've had two 22 Dashers in the past, and both fed fine as well.

My guess is you have to bend the very top of the mag box out to let the rounds in the mag to sit a little further under the feed rails. The Bryant mods will not address this issue, just fore and aft latitude.

Originally Posted By: alfOriginally Posted By: RePeteQuestion
Do other manufacturers actually have large primer/small primer specific FP's? Or are you talking about bushing the bolt to prevent primers from flowing.Not looking for a fight. Just asking a simple question. Thanks.
700's all have the same firing pins sizes. The problem sometimes is not the diameter, but too much clearance between the firing pin and the hole in the bolt nose, and running max pressures. Bushing a bolt tightens up those clearances, and eliminate piercing with sane loads.

Yea,,, that I did know.
It's actually why I said ""Do other manufacturers actually have large primer/small primer specific FP's? Or are you talking about bushing the bolt to prevent primers from flowing."" LOL

My 6mmbr does not feed reliably from the mag. Might want to look at the .243, not too flashy but would get the job done.

Back