6.8spc twist rate

Pete, I live in Pueblo West now but still own 35 acres 6 miles south of Divide across from the trout ponds at rainbow valley.

Blue, we are getting 2950fps from the 110 prohunter, while not as good as the 270 it does provide plenty of punch out to 300yds, it has 11oo ft lbs at that distance.
I hunt mule deer and elk and just will not shoot anything smaller than a 6.5 and 120gr bullets, it's just as small as I would want to use.
I guess the trick with the wssms is finding a bullet short enough to fit in the wssm case and at mag length of the AR, the PRI mags help since you can load to 2.31" As a short range cartridge that .358 would provide plenty of punch. What about a 30 cal wssm with lighter bullets, it may have a little more range than the 358 and a better bullet selection. It would probably be a zero freebore round.
I just realized I am getting away from keeping the cost down so you could feed it. What about a 300 whisper? brass is cheap or free and 147gr fmjs are cheap, wolf primers
ramshot powder, then swap over to hunting bullets when the time comes?

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. At some point probably next year I will be wanting a 6.8 upper built (haven't even gotten a lower yet!), no rush right now, good food for thought on this thread.

I hadn't thought about the 300 whisper, i don't know anything about them. If some one will point me in the right direction, i'll start learning, thanks guys, blue

the whisper is 221 fireball brass necked up to 308, you can use .223 brass it's just a little more work.
I'll find a link to a web site that has info.
here you go
whisper forum

Last edited:
Back