6.8 SPC Upper - any opinions? pros, cons?

I have a rra spc2 16inch upper.Cost around $450. I am shooting 110 sierra pro hunter by silver state. I have shot 4 deer and 2 foxes. Deer have been running a little but nothing hard to track. The 2 foxes were both chest shots with very little damage. I really like having a gun able to do both deer and predator hunting. Haven't shot a coyote yet but I am sure it will get the job done...Jason

006-1.jpg

001-2.jpg

This rifle has become my go-to deer rifle...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: coyote6974...Check 68forums.com for more information.
Thanks, that's a lot of info there...I appreciate it

You'll like the flat track of the 85 and the lack of pelt damage but I really like the 110AB for deer size game and yotes (i want them DEAD not worried about the hide). I really want to try the 100 AB's but as mentioned, I just can't find them anywhere either in an SSA load or as a reload component.

Have you done anything with 120 grain slugs successfully? Some of the info I've read shows good results but so far, I can't get anything much under 1.5 - 2" @ 100 at around 2435 FPS but haven't pushed the load to max yet with the AA2200 (26.6 grns is my best accuracy so far). I think this would make a great deer load, but I as of yet haven't been able to get the accuracy I want.

look up EWP's loads over at 68forums. He and PauloSantos have done an incredible amount of work on this little cartridge.

Forgot a couple of pictures...

204 yards, Hornady 110grain BTHP Match...
007.jpg

Exit - not horrible but there was blood and tissue scattered everywhere downrange..
010-1.jpg

Custom building:

AR Performance: Barrels and Bolts

Wilson Combat Barrels- Stainless

Geissele SSA-E Trigger / National Match DMR

Budget Complete Uppers

Stag Arms

Rock River new uppers converted with MI free float hand guards can be bought cheap off Gun Broker.

Budget Budget Uppers Built to your Specs:

Model 1 Sales- in 6.8 SPC II chamber.
I have a 16" carbine and it shoots under 1 inch at 100yds with 90gr Speer TNT's at 2830fps- good frag bullet for varmints.
Burris 2-7x35mm Fullfield budget glass, nikon M223 mount. It is nothing fancy - a working man's stick.
jzem.jpg

kw2x.jpg

I like Model 1 Sales over DPMS in this budget category, YMMV.

DPMS no longer makes 6.8 SPC II rifles, but Brownells sells some of their surplus remaining 16" carbine 6.8 SPC II barrels with a pinned carbine front sight gas block and barrel nut ready to directly swap out with a pawn shop bought 223 AR15. Bushmasters are good for this as "black rifles" are back on the shelves.

Brownells also sells 6.8 SPC LWRC bolts and Daniel Defense Bolts at very reasonable prices.

There was some uppers testing done awhile back and this illustrates some basic accuracy: Rock River did pretty good as a budget upper.

http://www.ar15chatterbox.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=5320

68TE006.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a target I shot this spring. Its 5 shoots at each target at 100 yards. The 1st shot on target #1 was a cold bore shot on a clean barrel.
The upper has a 20" Black Hole weaponry P3 1 in 11 twist barrel with a rifle length gas system and a 11* target crown. The gas block is a BTE adjustable micro. The Hand guard is made by Young Manufacturing. Upper receiver is a DPMS smooth side.

This is a picture I took of the rifle after I shot the target above.

Back