6.5 grendel

I do lke the 6x45. My wife has one he's going to take a deer with. Now...I'm building a 264 LBC (grendels twin) because I want more case capacity and more bullet weight. No flies on the 6x45, though.

My vote is for the 6.8spc. I recently got one from DTEC and it's recoil is barely more than my .223. The thing is crazy accurate with 120 SST's. Good luck with your decision.

If you hunt where shots are 150yds max, you picked a caliber that can do 800yds all day!

Nothing inherently wrong with that, but seems like overkill for a 7 y/o?

Then again, of its shot from a rest, then finding a caliber which is efficient out of a short barrel isnt a big deal.

Bigger bullets sound attractive at the risk of possibly more felt recoil, as you want more impact to reduce chances of a bad shot not making a kill.

300 whisper? Id say 450 bushmaster but that also seems like overkill. More like a 12ga slug really.

Anywho, just spitballing.

In Va you can't hunt deer with anything less than a 23 cal ( I have never seen a 23 cal ) so yes every deer rifle in my safe is overkill. I hunt with a 270 and it is way overkill for the deer in this area have watched everyone I've shot with it fall most in there tracks. The 243 is a cal I have a fetish for, I fell in love with this round years ago but don't hunt deer with it much and for a starter rifle I think it is too light or fast how ever you want to say it I just feel its a round that should be used by someone with more control or experince that is why I was looking at the Grendal besides the cool factor and daddy gets to play with a new round.

Last edited:
A 243 is plenty for young 'uns. My 7 year old sister can hold 3-4" at 100 with a full length stock. A better fitting gun would likely help. I just takes trigger time.

Back