6.5 Grendel vs. 6.8spc vs. 6x6.8

I have a 18" 6X6.8 and really like it I have shot 4 groundhogs in the 430 to 465 range with it this spring. It's going PD hunting this spring also it's very accurate.

Originally Posted By: Huckleberry75Ok, complete newb to any of these calibers. What are the pro's and con's to each of these calibers? Usage would be yotes and hogs at night with thermal.

I have been hunting hogs at night with thermal for several years and I have tried most of the popular calibers. I have used the 300 BLK, 6.8SPC and recently started trying a new 6.5 Grendel build with 123 grain Hornady SST. I also tried the AR10 in 308.

If I had to pick one for HOGS it would be an easy choice ......The 6.8 SPC with 110 grain Nosler Accubonds is a hog hammer. Any of these are good low recoil rounds but the 6.8 SPC gets the most out of a 16 inch barrel and is still manageable for follow up shots once the the hogs are on the run.

I tried to find a vid to show the recoil and this one was shot with a new scope I was trying out that was lighter than what I normally use so this is about the most recoil you will see when tracking the runners. (SSA 110 grain Nosler Accubonds)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Huckleberry75 Gman, how is the accuracy with the SAS ammo?

I use the AR Performance Socom profile barrel in 6.8 and it's a shooter. The barrel likes the 110 grain ammo and the SSA ammo shoots great. I used some Federal 90 grain bonded soft points in another rifle for awhile and the Noslers perform way better IMO.

http://ar15performance.com/inc/sdetail/38010/27237

Originally Posted By: yotehunter243Originally Posted By: Huckleberry75Originally Posted By: yotehunter243I have a 6x6.8 and 6.8. I see myself favoring the 6.8. I'm running a 110 accubond at 2730fps. It's no slouch

With a DA of 944 (my house at the moment) that produces 1820#kE at the muzzle and 1031#kE at 300yds. Zero that at 35yds and you are 1.2" high at 100yds and 1.8" low at 200yds. Pretty much point and shoot to 225 yds and still over 1000# of thump. Plenty good for most varmints and vermon.

That's why I'm liking it. I maybe working a load 85gr Cutting Edge Bullet

What length & twist barrel are you running?

I'm running a 6.8spc with a 16" barrel and couldn't be happier. To me it's by far the most common, most available components and performs amazing even in SBR length.

I'm running the Sierra 110 and Accubond 110. It likes the Sierra better.

If you wanted something a little flatter the Barnes 85 is a great option.

6.5 Grendel for me in every way. A 16" grendel pushing the nosler LRAB has reliable expansion out to 700 yards, and is supersonic nearly to 1k ay sea level. I own a 6.8, and like it, but the Grendel can do everything a little better, and has become WAY more popular in the last year alone.

Fedral now has 4 loads for the grendel, a gold.medal match line, and even a 90gr TNT load pushing 2900 fps that comes in a box of 50!

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGBHW's current 6x6.8 barrels have a very short throat, which means you have to seat bullets much deeper in the case than previously posted load data shows. Deep seated bullets means that compressed loads may be required depending on bullet/powder choice. Mine did. Cross your fingers and hope it works out, there's no public test reports yet.

Well this sounds just great. I'm waiting (14 wks) on a BHW 6x6.8 barrel.
frown.gif

Back