6.5 Grendel Vs 6.8 spc help!

Bam Bam

i am looking to be buying an AR-15 in the near future but before i get it i need some pros and cons of the 6.5 Grendel and the 6.8 spc. first of all do either or both have enough thump for mature bull elk? im also looking for which is better down range for elk. ill probly have shots up to 300yds maybe a little more but nothing crazy. and lastly which would be more common of a round to find?

I know on the 6.5grendel forum site guys have posted the elk that have been taken this year. And the larue tact. ceo took a nice bull with a 6.5 And i have not seen any taken with a 6.8 but that doesn't mean there hasn't been I kinda like the 6.5 grendel myself better long range balistics

I have been pondering the same question and have done a quit abit of research. However I have not hands on experience so take it for what it is worth.

It appears that the general conscensus is that from 0-300 ballistically they are pretty equal. Past that is where the 6.5 gren shines ballistically. You should be able to take any mid sized game in north america at to 5-600 yards depending on the shooters ability and punch paper out to 1000 yards.

As far as elk go, from what I have read the average hunter would probably be limited to 200 yards with the heaviest bonded bullets available for either. Beyond 200 yards it would have to be a perfectly placed shot.

I hope this helps.

jb

I don't know about the 6.8. I like my Grendel. It real easy to load for if you reload and there is factory ammunition available for as well. It is also easy on the brass, I'm up near 15 loadings on some of mine. I've shot 85s to 120 grain bullets in mine and it shot them well. Way under 1" at 100 yards.

No experience shooting elk with one but the 6.5 grendel is killer on whitetails with the 123gr amax's. Id go with the 6.5 grendel over the 6.8 anyday for what you want to do with it. The grendel has way better long range balistics. Just my 2 cents. Hope this helps.

Grendel hands down over the 6.8. Like stated with what you are trying to do and with the two options the Grendel wins all day.

Keep trying to start a G build but got sidelined into a LAR-8. The extra velocity on the G is from a 20-22" barrel where the 68 vel is generally from a 16" tube. If both are shot out of a 16" tube, the velocity is the same at 500 yards. For typical to long deer ranges out to 350 and possibly 400, both can be considered equally deadly, regardless of barrel length.

Better BC, with the longer tube, gives the G steel ringing, paper punching advantage around the 500 yard mark as mentioned above. However, with the better Wilson Combat or SSA tac loads for the 68, to quote the Duke "I'd hate to live on the difference". For that 1k magic number, the G has at least one load that stays close if not at supersonic all the way to this distance. Haven't needed to start loading for it yet, but hope to fairly soon.

As for the 68, it also has a 120 grain SST with a 400 BC that helps it go a little longer super sonic. Some of the TSX loads are flat and fast but their BC drops the velocity off at range however they are giving great penetration in boar and deer. The shorter pipe would make it handier and with an ACE stock, more than likely lighter and easier carry in thick/timber areas. A lot of choices are out there for the 6.8 in factory hot loads as well as a lot of reload data.

With the Grendel now open, I hope to see more ammo choices and barrels/bolt carrier groups available for a future build. I've now in my shaking hands an RRA complete lower and a most everything for an upper less barrel and bcg. I intend to turn this into a G around November.

But, for me, I would not take either one for elk. I just don't care for tightening the window of a kill for the purpose of saying I "accomplished" a shot with this or that weapon/caliber. Shot placement is always key, but that window is much more open with a .308 if that bull of a lifetime (some of us have yet to be drawn) turns quartering in at 500 yards. Dead is dead, but I like that extra comfort of the larger energy wielding round.

Now that I think about it, sort of hypocritical since I hunt with a recurve. LOL!

Best of luck and try out several if you can.

Ted

Last edited:
I have a 20" 6.5 that Scott @ SD built and My brother has a 16" 6.8 that I built. We both use them to hunt deer. I see no practical difference at ranges that we hunt deer. We both use these rifles when pushing deer. My Grendel makes tighter groups at longer range, but at 100 yards both are sub-MOA. It all really comes down to what a guy has is what he suggests. My rifle would be a better long range varmint rifle, but his is faster swinging and easier carrying in creeks and brush. On deer sized game out to 300 yards, flip a coin...

I've said it before and I'll say it again.
If I wanted to punch paper at 1000 yards I would get a Grendel.

If I wanted a hunting rifle I would get a 6.8. (Actually I got a Pair)

What some have neglected to tell you is that you will need a longer (read heavier) BBl in the Grendel to see it's potential than you would with the 6.8. To some, that may not be a factor but to a typical Elk hunter it probably is, as they typically cover more ground on foot than a deer hunter might, and alot more than a guy punching paper
smile.gif

At the distances you listed (300 yards) the Grendel is NOT superior to the 6.8. Neither the 6.5 or the 6.8 are ideal for Elk, but both can and have taken elk. Know your weapon, choose a good bullet, place it well and either choice will make you happy.

I will add that it appears that most people overstate the advantage of a higher BC bullet when it comes to hunting distances (typically around 250-350 yards Max for most hunters). Spend some time plugging numbers into a Ballistic Calculator and see for yourself that at those ranges and closer, In both drop and Drift, velocity > BC.

Look hard at a 6.8 for a nice hunting rifle. I've carried one on Elk, Deer, Bear, Coyote and Mt Lion hunts, and will continue to do so.

ETA yeah also what MPFD said. He's got it about right.

Last edited:
As stated flip a coin! I myself prefer the 6.5 as I have wide open spaces and the longer shots come up all the time!

Can't wait to get my 22" 6.5 from Scott and will do a nice range report when it gets here!

I killed 4 deer with my 6.8 this year. I don't own a 6.5, but I don't shoot past 200 yards around here either. As the last few guys have stated. Take your pick if you plan to shoot game at reasonable distances.

I just like the lighter bullet options available from places like SSA for the 6.8. That 85gr TSX will do some serious work.

Don't make the mistake of only comparing the BC of the bullets. The heavier, longer 6.5 bullets will penetrate better than the bullet used in the 6.8 and if you are talking big game like elk you want good deep penetration. Considering BC is only part of the story. The 6.5 bullets have higher sectional density.

Last edited:
For what it's worth ;
I would go with at least a .270 win. for game as large as Elk. Don't handicap your self with an under powered cartridge
on an animal this large. Yes you can kill a white tail with a .22 mag and a bull elephant with a 7x57 Mauser but it's not the best option.
Just my 2c

BTW I have a 6.8 spc II on order from Scott at SD and plan to use it for white tail maybe even hogs. And I'm sure it should preform Very well for that.
Cheers

Anything Scott builds will shoot! My Grendel shoots great, and by this time next week I should have my 6WOA from Scott as well. I can't wait for the 6WOA should be a nice middle ground between the 6x45 and the Grendel!

If you want to shoot elk with an ar why don't you build an ar-10? I own a grendel and love it! But that being said I use it for coyotes and blacktail deer. If I were to hunt elk (I do with a bow and have taken elk 4 out of the last 5 years) with a riffle I would use a bigger caliber. Kind of like the old .17 hmr for coyotes, it will do the job but if I get an animal in front of me I want to put it down in its tracks. On that note i go with an ar-10 platform with a bigger caliber for elk. My 2 cents

Let me ask all you guys onr question, if a 6x6 bull stepped out at 300 yards and you had a grendel and 300 rum laying next to you witch would you grab?........

Back