6.5 CM Factory ammo pressure

They were really pushing the marketing of 6.5 CM as a new caliber, early on.
They sell the two most expensive reloading components, pills & cases plus the dies.

i see the words "recommended load data". recommended being the key word.
i do not see where it says that is what they used to load the ammo in that box.

guess it is all in the way a person interrupts it.
w00t.gif

I had this problem with OEM Hornady 140 A-Max loads a couple years ago. Blowing primers (out of the pockets...not just piercing) with wicked heavy ejector swipe. My velocity was upwards of 2900fps in a 26"bbl. I handloaded a few down to 2825fps and the problem went away. There were others having the same problem on Snipershide at the time, as well. I refuse to buy Hornady ammo anymore.

No, I don't think they are saying what they load with. I think that was a very short lived experiment that didn't work, and lasted a very short time.

I think in the very beginning when they first brought those loads out, what they printed on the box was the load they were attempting to use. However, they figured out real quick that wasn't going to work due to changing lots of powder. At that point they started varying the load to keep the speeds correct. They had to do that due to the nature of the beast, producing loads designed for competitive LR shooting, and shooters expecting their dope to stay the same.

At that point handloaders weren't getting near factory load speeds, and started breaking down loads to check what was in there. That started causing Hornady problems because people were reporting the cartridges being loaded with something different than they said they were loading with (the actual loads were always hotter than printed data). Folks started trying to duplicate the factory loads, which in many cases were significantly over the data posted in their online loading data. Heck, even the factory loads printed on the box were over. They were supposedly 41.5 of H-4350, and at the time their online loading data showed a max of 40.9 grains.

Anyways, several years ago they quit even pretending that was the load, quit printing data on the box, and went back to bulk grade powder that doesn't match anything we can buy. So no, that is not what they load now at all.

My opinion is that it was something very short lived they attempted as a marketing scheme, it didn't work, and they moved on. Maybe I am wrong and it never was what they actually loaded. If so then it was false advertising because they dang sure pimped it that way in the early days of the cartridge's introduction, and used it as a selling point for the cartridge.

Last edited:
Back