430 yard rabbit. .243 AI

V2--i'm assuming your optic is 1 of the VX-III models. I always get the optics companies catalogs every year since many of them have a tech. spec. pg. that lists the subtensions of their reticles. If it's a VX-III chances r it has the Range Estimating System in it designed for a 16" deer back to brisket. You're supposed to bracket the deer between plex post tips or X-PPT, and then read off the range on the power ring...but there's a better way that will allow u to use it with many different tgt. sizes, and can be used with any reticle in any scope. It's a simple modification of the mil-ranging formula.

Whenever i see a plex reticle now i think of it as sort of like a 3 stadia mil-dot for rangefinding purposes. Here's the mil-ranging formula in it's simplest form (inches to yds.)--

tgt. size (") x range of reticle measurement (usually 100 yds.) / reticle measurement (") / quantity of gap tgt. occupies (decimal equivalent) = range (yds.)

...looks complicated, super simple to apply. If that's the VX-III with RES then chances r the subtension between PPTs is 5.4 inch per 100 yds. Suppose u wanted to range a 15" tgt., and it occupies exactly .5 of the distance between PPTs (PPT to x-hair). Just punch all the variables into the above equation and here's that range--

15 x 100 / 5.4 / 0.5 = 555 yds.

Usually we can get within 3% of lasered distance with most reticles. Try it sometime it'll blow your mind just how well it works on hard tgts. (steel, etc.).

In your first post, you stated that you dialed in 4 1/2 clicks of elevation. I was just wondering how you got a half click. Perhaps it was just a typo.

Dave

I am using a Remington Action, Douglas .243 AI barrel, and an SPS Varmint stock.

243Ai017.jpg

Back