4000+ fps

dpollard

In my 22-250 using 36 grains of Varget (37gr is max according to Lyman manual) with a 55 grain Midsouth Varmint Nightmare bullet my 6 shot average was 4090 fps. This is way faster than the book suggested I should get.

I know the chrono is correct as I tested some known velocity ammo with it.

Is anyone else getting velocities this high? Should I be concerned? There are no over pressure signs on the primers or anywhere else. Unfortunately, I have not found an accuracy node with a lower powder charge. Any thoughts on if this is ok or is something wrong? I do not want to blow out my barrel. Should I switch powders?

Whats to be concerned about? Any barrel will shoot different to the next. Plus environmental factors can determine a big change in FPS. If theyre accurat, no pressure signs, keep em going!

Originally Posted By: dpollardIn my 22-250 using 36 grains of Varget (37gr is max according to Lyman manual) with a 55 grain Midsouth Varmint Nightmare bullet my 6 shot average was 4090 fps. This is way faster than the book suggested I should get.

I know the chrono is correct as I tested some known velocity ammo with it.

Is anyone else getting velocities this high? Should I be concerned? There are no over pressure signs on the primers or anywhere else. Unfortunately, I have not found an accuracy node with a lower powder charge. Any thoughts on if this is ok or is something wrong? I do not want to blow out my barrel. Should I switch powders?

You might want to "proof" that 4090fps number with another chrono. I'm not doubting you, but that seems a bit high for a standard 22-250 Rem, with "no pressure sign". What length is your barrel, twist rate? In a 22-250 AI, I would buy that number.

My 26" -14 twisted 22-250 goes 3840fps with 37.0gr of Varget and a 55gr V-Max, with slight pressure sign. That's 250fps between us..??

If you are not seeing pressure sign, I would say go for it if it shoots well, I would just double check that speed factor
wink.gif

See us old guys that shoot the 220 swift that 4000 is slow for us. If speed is your need buy a swift and join the club. After 40+ years of shooting a swift, I have never had a problem.

Originally Posted By: willy1947

See us old guys that shoot the 220 swift that 4000 is slow for us. If speed is your need buy a swift and join the club. After 40+ years of shooting a swift, I have never had a problem.

YEEES! But he is saying that he is running 4090fps with 55gr'ers. Way into Swift territory. Not with a standard chambering of the 22-250 Rem, I don't believe.

The elevation will not change the MV, but does make a big difference in down range performance. In the thinner air bullets do not slow down as quickly.

Jack

Winchester white box 45 grains do that out of my Win. model 70 22-250 varmint all day. Been shooting it since 1988 out of the box. Never a problem, still shoots dead nuts.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jack RobertsThe elevation will not change the MV, but does make a big difference in down range performance. In the thinner air bullets do not slow down as quickly.

Jack

I gotta disagree that elevation doesn't make a difference. The density of the air does cause a change in fps when shooting over a chronograph in my experience. Jack, why does your airplane fly faster up high on less power than it does at sea level?

Last edited:
Thank you all for your replies. I am not necessarily looking for high velocity, in fact, would prefer to have slower velocity to save my barrel. The most important thing for me is accuracy.

I have just never used a chronograph in my reloading until the other day when I borrowed one. Just not sure if being over 4000fps is ok. Seems like that is considered over the "norm" for fps in my caliber. With no pressure signs I think for now I will just leave my loads as they are.

I have a hard time believing your velocity, something doesn't seem right. In my Rem 700 I'm shooting 52 gr bullets with 38.0 gr of Varget and getting 3700 fps.

How far is the chrony from the end of the barrel? I think you need to move it about 10 feet away for more accurate readings.

I've had two Chrony chronographs and both of the like to be fifteen feet from the muzzle. I've seen too many unreasonable velocity readings at ten feet.

That muzzle velocity doesnt seem right, unless you have a 28" barrel. I had to use 39grains of varget with my 40gr NBT's to get them to go over 4,000.

Originally Posted By: willy1947

Yea the swift sure does seem slow to us guys that skipped over the swift and built a 223 WSSM or a 22/243.

Originally Posted By: EJ ReichenbachOriginally Posted By: willy1947

Yea the swift sure does seem slow to us guys that skipped over the swift and built a 223 WSSM or a 22/243.

Pioneer's, take all the arrows... Bro.
sneaky2.gif

Originally Posted By: Jack RobertsThe elevation will not change the MV, but does make a big difference in down range performance. In the thinner air bullets do not slow down as quickly.

Jack

^^^^^^^^^
This is right on with what I know, Jack.

Less atmosphere means less drag, not more velocity.
thumbup1.gif

It also helps me stabilize longer bullets, in slower twist rates.
sneaky2.gif

I have a rem 700 22-250 1 in 14 twist and have clocked mine at 3580 35.5 gr varget 55gr v-max. I would think a miss reading by the crono over 4000 seems to fast for that much powder

Back