.308 Too Big????????

My opinion is that if you are going to use a 308 throw fur friendly out the window, if you are looking for fur friendly you would not be considering a 30 caliber. The reason you would use a 308 is for extended range, in which case you would want the highest BC bullet possible. I shoot a 308 for coyotes and I love it, but it is definatley not the best choise. For one it has a tremendous amount of drop wich means that you have to be absolutely precise in calculating range (wind too). While if is very reapetable and consistent it is not practical. How many coyotes to you get where you have time to calculate all that drop. You are better of going with something with extremely high BC and extremely high velocity. Even though you have to calculate drop it is much more forgiving is you 308 drops 60 inches and your 243 drops 40 that is a 50% greater margin for error using the 308.

I know this is a little off topic but Ozzy, your sounds like luck comment caught me. Would you shoot a deer at 450yds with a std 270? Most guys would without blinking an eye. Well, a 243 with the right bullet carries as much if not more energy at 650 than a 270 will at 450. But those little 6mm's aren't good enough for long range right

I love my 308 AR10 for accuracy and it will put down a coyote and provide an instant autopsy for you, right there on the spot!
I would rather lug my .223 or .243 than the .308 if walking a lot.

I have witnessed a 6mm take a mule deer doe down at 1132 yards. Not me, I can not see that far! My 20 year old nephew, luck or not, I think not as I have seen him make some pretty long shots, it had the punch to kill the deer.

Rick H...

Shoot the light bullets with a min load of 4064 powder.The accuracy is very good in my rifles and not much lick.

Back