308 AR

Ok, I have started buying components and made a deal with a member here to have the upper built. BHW barrel, mostly dpms components otherwise.

The only thing I'm still debating on is whether I should think about going 260 over 308. I don't shoot terribly long ranges now, but may play around with it down the road. I will also use this rig for stand hunting occasionally, when I sit to shoot pigs off of feeders. But mostly a toy.

If I go 260 over 308 I would have to buy brass and dies (already have 308 stuff), other than that I'm set I think as I have 6.5 bullets and suitable powder for my Creedmoor.

This will be my last project for at least this year. I like a 308 but everyone seems to rave about the 260. Thoughts?

I am a fan of the 6.5s. They just plain get it done. A little less recoil over the 308 win, and awesome ballistics. I went with a 6.5x47 Lapua in a bolt over the other two, but only really for the OAL restrictions in a m7 action. At any rate, I feel you will be happy with the 260.

You could always make 260 brass from 308, simple resize.

Who's going to put the upper together?

Ritch. He's been very helpful. We've only talked 308 up to here but the barrel won't be ordered until next week so I think I could switch.

Will I be able to run the 260's to a good oal in the 7.62 pmags?

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to get the 2.8" out of their mags. My preference is metal mags, and they usually have a little more OAL available.

Ritch is a great guy, and he will produce a wonderful product for you.

IMO, if you're only going to shoot hogs off feeders, I don't see where the BC of a 260 is going to be utilized. Maybe just go 308 win and use some of the 130 gr offerings therein.

Look long and hard at the 6.5x47 Lapua. It's a great round with lots of potential. A little more to start out, Lapua is. The only source for brass. But I think it's a great round. Not much difference in it and your Creedmore, though. Maybe you need a fast twist 22 or 6mm?

Originally Posted By: Anton ChigurhThanks for the advice. I'll think on it. I would imagine you're right on the 308 for my use. I could always do another 6.5 next year.

Now that is a BRD guy for you!! Good plan.

Greg

I'm very well covered in 6mm, with 3 243's. One is an m700 that I had a Brux 8 twist installed on a while back. Love it so far.

Covered in 223, 22-250

Have 6.5 CM bolt gun, 6.5 Grendel upper on the way

Only have 1 308 bolt gun. So I guess a 308 semi auto rounds out my stable pretty well.

Greg, what's BRD?

Edit. Ahh, black rifle disease. I had to search for it. More like ARD, any rifle disease.

BTW, I do feel afflicted and could use professional help.

Last edited:
I have about a 100 misc 1X fired factory brass, plus 100 new lapua for my savage 10 308. If I buy 100 more for the new lr 308, am I just as well to get lapua for $73 per 100?

I know ar's are hard on brass so some guys run cheaper stuff in them, but 308 lapua is relatively inexpensive if I can still get several firings.

I've gotten a lot of firings out of my brass in the AR's. I have some 243 brass that I used in that AR, then necked it up to 260 and still going, 10+ loadings. Just anneal and don't load max. Adjustable gas block will help a bunch there also.

I can get 2.820" out of pmags and still feed perfectly. I still can't reach the lands with the 123 amax in the 260 at that length, but the 120 amax will reach. That would be the one reason to go Creedmoor over 260.

Ritch will put you together a great rifle whichever caliber you choose. IDK, I have a 308 upper also and it's hard for me to grab it over the 260. Those 6.5's are like cheating when shooting far.

Originally Posted By: Anton ChigurhI have about a 100 misc 1X fired factory brass, plus 100 new lapua for my savage 10 308. If I buy 100 more for the new lr 308, am I just as well to get lapua for $73 per 100?

I know ar's are hard on brass so some guys run cheaper stuff in them, but 308 lapua is relatively inexpensive if I can still get several firings.

I would get some processed LC 7.62 brass. It is very good brass, plenty good for what you are doing. Save the Lapua for your bolt gun.

http://txbrassworks.com/product/lake-city-brass-308/

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Originally Posted By: Anton ChigurhI have about a 100 misc 1X fired factory brass, plus 100 new lapua for my savage 10 308. If I buy 100 more for the new lr 308, am I just as well to get lapua for $73 per 100?

I would get some processed LC 7.62 brass. It is very good brass, plenty good for what you are doing. Save the Lapua for your bolt gun.

http://txbrassworks.com/product/lake-city-brass-308/

Thanks, I'll look into picking some of that up. $80 for 250 sounds pretty good to me.

Back