.280 Rem vs .308 Win ?

do you reload for your 308's? i would assume that serious target work would naturally require reloading, especially for long distance targets. lee.

Chupa,
If you want the .280 then get it..You have other punchers to back you up, and if its not the ticket your lookin for then trade it, nothin lost.

The .280 is not the best pick for a dedicated range cartrige period. Hand loading would be a must to attain accuracy of a high level at distance. I have experience with it (not alot) as a hunter and would take it hands down over the 30-06. That said, I spend 3days a week at the range and I only know of one guy that shoots a great group with the .280 and its a 2k rem build. I will also relay that the .280 has a nice kick to it. (Yes, I have a little scar too.)
I have looked all night for my load data and it must be in NV with the rest of my stuff. I admit .308 is boring but she won't cheat on you!! Good luck

Just curious, I assume its a Rem sporter???? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Quote:
Chupa,
If you want the .280 then get it..You have other punchers to back you up, and if its not the ticket your lookin for then trade it, nothin lost.

The .280 is not the best pick for a dedicated range cartrige period. Hand loading would be a must to attain accuracy of a high level at distance. I have experience with it (not alot) as a hunter and would take it hands down over the 30-06. That said, I spend 3days a week at the range and I only know of one guy that shoots a great group with the .280 and its a 2k rem build. I will also relay that the .280 has a nice kick to it. (Yes, I have a little scar too.)
I have looked all night for my load data and it must be in NV with the rest of my stuff. I admit .308 is boring but she won't cheat on you!! Good luck

Just curious, I assume its a Rem sporter???? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Nope not a sporter, it has what looks to be a "Medium Contour" on it. It would be a basis for a build if I got it but so was this VS /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif It was going to go to GA Precision. I think I'm gonna go outside and beat my head on the brick, I'll let you know how that turns out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Chupa

LOL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Just buy it dude,,,,,,,,,, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Quote:
do you reload for your 308's? i would assume that serious target work would naturally require reloading, especially for long distance targets. lee.

No I don't reload as of yet, but I'm not that serious about it. I just do it for fun and to keep my shooting skills sharp. I took a PR class about a year and a half ago and qaulified for the 1000 yard range and have been toying around since. If I start competing then yeah I'll start reloading ofcourse. I have done some tinkering with reloads at a friends house for my PSS in .308 and saw a differance but just haven't bit the bullet(no pun intended)yet on reloading equipment.

Chupa

your hooked, just a matter of time. like every says, if the deal is good, buy it, you will like it. if you don't send a pm. lee.

I have a custom 280 heavy sporter barrel hunting rifle that I sold a 7-08VS to build. If I was not interested in hunting, but paper punching, I would never have sold the 7-08. Rebarrel to 7-08. With reasonable reloads you might beat the 7-08 with the 2 80 by 125fps or so. IMHO the 7-08 is as accurate as the 308. The 270, 280 and '06 are plenty accurate, but not as accurate as the '08s. capt david

probably right with the 7-08, cant beat the 308 case for accuracy and ease of loading. velocity is not really a requirement when it comes to paper punching, its all about consistency. lee

Quote:
I should have added this in the original post. It won't be used for hunting, only range work. I'm just looking for something other than a .308 to do this with as I already have a few of those and this is a steal.

Chupa

Based on this, I would say no. Get a 7-08, 260, or 6.5-284.

To be honest, a 260 AI would be the bomb.....

Quote:
probably right with the 7-08, cant beat the 308 case for accuracy and ease of loading. velocity is not really a requirement when it comes to paper punching, its all about consistency. lee

LOL, you just want me to pass on it and tell you where it is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Well.........I'm not gonna /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

J/K, My brother is kinda interested in it too. Give me until tomorrow to decide and if I pass I will let you know where it's at. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Chupa

Quote:
Quote:
I should have added this in the original post. It won't be used for hunting, only range work. I'm just looking for something other than a .308 to do this with as I already have a few of those and this is a steal.

Chupa

Based on this, I would say no. Get a 7-08, 260, or 6.5-284.

To be honest, a 260 AI would be the bomb.....

Took you long enough, I've been waiting for you or Jack to give an opinion on this /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

Chupa

I have pondered it enough, and methinks the 260AI could be one awesome cartridge. I have too many rifles already, but one day.......

If you buy it you just might end up taking it hunting.

One thing about the .280, as one of Remington's several bone-headed marketing moves, it was originally introduced in a pump gun, not a bolt gun, and its standardized SAAMI pressure spec was quite a bit lower than the .270/.30-06 levels, resulting in somewhat weaker performance than you might expect. I assume that modern ammo is still loaded to this lower spec (can't remember for sure, but something like 5-8000 psi lower), so handloading for a bolt gun can bring it up to where it ought to be.

When you say 'range work', do you mean bench shooting at long range (800-1000), or position practice to 300-400, or F Class, or what?

Buy it and start reloading! Sheesh. Put a Ching sling on it, and ring some steel in position practice!

Quote:
If you buy it you just might end up taking it hunting.

One thing about the .280, as one of Remington's several bone-headed marketing moves, it was originally introduced in a pump gun, not a bolt gun, and its standardized SAAMI pressure spec was quite a bit lower than the .270/.30-06 levels, resulting in somewhat weaker performance than you might expect. I assume that modern ammo is still loaded to this lower spec (can't remember for sure, but something like 5-8000 psi lower), so handloading for a bolt gun can bring it up to where it ought to be.

When you say 'range work', do you mean bench shooting at long range (800-1000), or position practice to 300-400, or F Class, or what?

Buy it and start reloading! Sheesh. Put a Ching sling on it, and ring some steel in position practice!

Yeah just something different from the bench at 600+.

Chupa

Then handload for it. You won't find much but hunting ammo on the store shelves. A 168 or 175 Matchking (the 175 might be too long for the factory twist) should do well over some RL19, RL22, H/IMR4831, or H/IMR4350.

Velocity does matter on paper that far away, with a high BC bullet your wind drift should be quite a bit less than with the .308.

For a hunting gun, the choice between the .308, .30-06, and .280 would be pretty close. I'd go with the .280 for that.

The bullet (the real important part of the cartridge/rifle/target equation) choices between the .280 and the .308 are tilted in favor of the .280. The BCs for the 7mms are just better for the same weights in the middle and upper ends for comparable bullets (not the same weight, "comparable" for target work).

However, as has already been posted, for range work the .284W is a better choice because of the shorter case (just easier to get better results). Of course, if you go that route... might as well have a 6.5-284 built just for long range paper punching... I am told by firends from the USMC Rifle team that that is the way to go... If I am thinking straight that is what was used to set the 1000yrd world record.

But, for a rifle that might be used for hunting and mostly used for "fun" at long ranges the .280 is a pretty good choice.

Back