260 or 7/08

gooseisland

Ok gents heres my dilemma. I currently shoot a Remington700 270wsm. It is definitely a love one day hate the next gun. Well today It gave me fits shooting so its on its last straw. Im looking at getting a savage. Im narrowed down to a 260 or a 7mm08. From there its 14 classic ss , 16, or the 11 lwh. What route would you go and why? This will be for MN deer and possibly elk. Not worried at all on the capabilities of either cartridge . I will say that I do plan on another savage. Thanks pm!

Oh man tough question...I'm currently waiting on a barrel in 7-08 for a ruger tang saftey build. I've also thought about swapping my Mauser build 308 to a 260, they are both killing rounds, both have good bullet selection and both have high ballistic coefficients. This just means buy two savages and build one of each, I'll dispose of which ever you don't like as well
smile.gif

I have the model 11LWH in .260 and it's my go to for hunting. Will shoot moa, doesn't weigh much and will work for coyotes to elk.
I put a bushnell trophy 3-9x40 600doa on it and it is dead on from 100 to 300yds with 140gr amaxs. Haven't had a chance to try it past that yet to see how close it is at 4-5-600yds. blue

They are pretty much 2 peas in a pod. But being a 6.5 fan I would definitely get the .260. However as others pointed out the .260 is a reloaders cartridge. The .260 has great versatility from marmots to moose depending on bullet selection. Don't know the Savage twist but it would be nice to take an elk with the old classic 160g round nose. TTT

.260 out of those two. although really cant go wrong with either one.

on another note have you thought of rebarreling your 700, that is if you like the WSM cartridge?

Have a Rem model 7 in 7-08 and love it, but havent even shot a 260 but love the idea of it, so I would choose the 260 so I would have an excuse to buy a new gun.

It sure does seem like a toss up. I do like the wsm round. Hits really hard and shoots flat. Ever since I bought this rifle,4 years ago, its been good one day and bad the next. Yesterday6" groups at 100 yds. A month ago 6" group at 500 yds. I felt good yesterday while shooting too. Solid rest and squeeze.
Good chance its the nut behind the scope but I find it hard to have confidence in this rifle. Something I believe is just as important as how a gun shoots.

If it's not you, you got a scope, mounts, bedding, rest issue or some such. New gun won't fix most of that.

That said, and being a firm proponent of always coming up with an excuse for another gun, get either, and a barrel for the other! Them Savages are wife-saver's in that regard!!! LOL!!! Use tough bullets for the big stuff.

Originally Posted By: Mike BIf it's not you, you got a scope, mounts, bedding, rest issue or some such. New gun won't fix most of that.

That said, and being a firm proponent of always coming up with an excuse for another gun, get either, and a barrel for the other! Them Savages are wife-saver's in that regard!!! LOL!!! Use tough bullets for the big stuff.

I agree.
If you are complaining about having fits with your 270 wsm, pick up a used savage stevens, drop in a nicer trigger, a bell and carlson stock, and call up Jim at northland shooters supply and order a CBI barrel in either caliber. The

Well I gave it one last go this afternoon. Checked mounts stock screws. Still not good. Its going to be sold/traded and can be someone else's problem. Its not me because I shot better groups today at 100 with my open sighted 50 cal smokepole

I would go with the 7mm-08. There are alot more 7mm bullets to choose from and it will be easier to find ammo if you loose or forget yours on a hunting trip. You can also get 200-400 fps and ft.lbs in the heavier bullets than you can out of a .260. If your going to use it for Elk that could make a big difference. The .260 will most likley be more accurate though.

Why don't you just get a different 270WSM? It's not the cartridge/caliber that's the proplem, it's the rifle. I love my 270WSM, It shoots way better than my WIFES 7mm-08
tt2.gif
Just teasing.

I totally agree with you that the 7-08 is a better choice for elk. Why you think the 260 will be more accurate makes no sense to me though. Why do you think this?

Originally Posted By: Osti Why don't you just get a different 270WSM? It's not the cartridge/caliber that's the proplem, it's the rifle. I love my 270WSM, It shoots way better than my WIFES 7mm-08
tt2.gif
Just teasing.

That has crossed my mind as well to get another wsm. I bought the rifle used and I wonder if it wasn't someone else's problem. I shot with a buddy that has a sps tactical in .308. He was shooting 168gr amaxes and my 140gr sst hit so much harder it was crazy. Needless to say I plan to drop some coin this week.

Back