257 weatherby

czeger

i dont know alot about this caliber but i plan on getting a new gun with my tax return and im thinking of this caliber what does this caliber compare to and availability for ammo also would it be to big for coyotes

If you are not set up to reload it can be pretty expensive to shoot. Factory ammo is a bit on the high side and limited to just a couple of companys making it.
That said the .257 Roy is my favorite and I wont ever be without at least one in the gun room.
It will do a job on coyotes and at a distance. Just not the most fur friendly if your saving fur.

There is one for sale in the Classfieds right now.

Guy

cz, you didn't say what this rifle would be used for primarily. I note that you are in Ohio. Do you have a lot of 3-400yd SAFE shooting you can do there? If you need to make fairly long shots on deer and bear as well as coyotes then this might be a good choice. If not then there are better options for your neck of the woods. More info please.
unsure.gif
dedogs

The .257 Roy is certainly our premier quarter-bore. That said, brass is expensive and it's got a huge appetite for powder. As one of the other posters mentioned, your choices of factory ammo is pretty limited. Check the price of shooting this caliber and ask yourself, if you got one, would you shoot it enough to be able to take advantage of its long-range potential? If you're mainly interested in shooting coyotes you might be better served with a .223 or a .22-250.

REALLY??? Are we comparing apples and apples or apples and oranges? What barrel length,bullet weight,powder,primer, barrel twist???
huh.gif
dedogs

I can get a 100gr nosler to 3700fps (without pressure signs) with a 26" barrel.
Ive gotten the same load to 3920fps in a 30" barrel.

62gr of rel 22 with magnum primers (federal) 12-10 twist and 9 twist barrels from Shilen and Pac-nor.

The problem I see with the 257 Wby, or any Wby round for that matter is the 10 miles of freebore at the throat unless it's a custom build useing a custom or modified reamer. Also brass for reloading is highly expensive. Grizz

Originally Posted By: GRIZZLYONEThe problem I see with the 257 Wby, or any Wby round for that matter is the 10 miles of freebore at the throat unless it's a custom build useing a custom or modified reamer. Also brass for reloading is highly expensive. Grizz

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. Its hard to beat the 257 Weatherby Mag.

Originally Posted By: HouseCatYOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. Its hard to beat the 257 Weatherby Mag.

The .264 whoops it's azz up and down the block... especially when you throw in the 140's and such. Anything the .257 Roy will do with a 100 grainer... the .264 Winny will do +100-150 fps. BTDT.

I've built a couple .25-06AIs too... never saw the kind of velocity Outlaw has, but everyone reads "pressure signs" a little different. I consitently got soft primer pockets at around 3550 with 100s out of mine. I have seen a .25-06 that would run 3900ish with 85s... but it had a 28" pipe and its owner was a bit notorious for throwing caution to the wind when it concerned the structural integrity of brass.

If you want something warmer than a .25-06... don't handcuff yourself with the Roy... go with the .264 Winny or something like that.

Originally Posted By: quarterboredOriginally Posted By: HouseCatYOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. Its hard to beat the 257 Weatherby Mag.

The .264 whoops it's azz up and down the block... especially when you throw in the 140's and such. Anything the .257 Roy will do with a 100 grainer... the .264 Winny will do +100-150 fps. BTDT.

I've built a couple .25-06AIs too... never saw the kind of velocity Outlaw has, but everyone reads "pressure signs" a little different. I consitently got soft primer pockets at around 3550 with 100s out of mine. I have seen a .25-06 that would run 3900ish with 85s... but it had a 28" pipe and its owner was a bit notorious for throwing caution to the wind when it concerned the structural integrity of brass.

If you want something warmer than a .25-06... don't handcuff yourself with the Roy... go with the .264 Winny or something like that.

What lenght pipe you using on the 264win mag? My friend has been beating himself to death trying to get his old 24" 700 to shoot any faster than the 7mag he has. He's very dissapointed with it.

Ive got another friend getting +3500fps with 110 TSSXs (isnt that the white tipped bullet?) in a standard 2506 with 28" McGowen. I didnt beleive him till he shot it over my chrono. He's wanting to use my reamer to punch it out to AI but we havent gotten to it yet.

First off anyone considering a weatherby caliber should not be considering price when it comes to ammo but with them chambering the vanguard in it now you have to wonder.

Forget eh price of brass it can easily be formed from 7mm mag brass

Dont buy a vanguard and let the powder burn out the end of the barrel you need 26" barrel to justify having this round

I wont say anything against the 25.06 AI but who has teh time or energy to fireform brass?

I love mine cant wait to see what she will do

Originally Posted By: Outlawkyote I can get a 100gr nosler to 3700fps (without pressure signs) with a 26" barrel.
Ive gotten the same load to 3920fps in a 30" barrel.

62gr of rel 22 with magnum primers (federal) 12 twist and 10 twist barrels from Shilen and Pac-nor.

My accurate .257Wby load is a 100gr Sierra at 4010. Your 25-06AI is doing very well and I've no doubts that it really does that. But you wouldn't believe how many people just don't get it.....that when things all work together, performance is way above what the loading manuals say. Over on 24hr campfire forum there's a dust-up over .257Wby and 25-06AI performance, pressure, etc. More ignorance on that board than you could imagine. Post your numbers over there and see what I mean.

i already have a 22-250 that is my main coyote gun im just looking at another rifle because i plan on doing some out of state hunts in the future reloading is not to much of an issue as i have a uncle that reloads and also being fur friendly is not a big deal coyotes here in ohio cant be given away i would not go through alot of ammo 3-4 boxes would probally last me 10-15 years

I had a vanguard .257 Weatherby and it was the worst gun i ever owned, it even went off once on it's own (lucky it was pointed in a safe direction). You couldn't give me another vanguard, but i would own another gun in .257 any day, awesome round!

Originally Posted By: nitisI wont say anything against the 25.06 AI but who has teh time or energy to fireform brass?

Yeah, going to the range on a pretty day to shoot 50 rds. really sucks.
wink.gif

4010 is that fps? what do you have a 36" barrel? I was able to touch 3700 but that was a 6" group so 3600 is where I settled with my 100 gr load and it seems they really like 100 gr pills for the most part hopefully it will like the new gmx

To answer your original question, the 257 wby is a 25-06 on steroids. One of the best deer guns I've seen, but I couldn't hit a coyote to save my azz with that gun.

To answer your original question, the 257 wby is a 25-06 on steroids. One of the best deer guns I've seen, but I couldn't hit a coyote to save my azz with that gun.

Back